Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Trashman (3.03 Single Axe Barbarian)

Class Build Barbarian

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

rheingold

rheingold

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1077 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Mmm.... I definitely don't recall seeing the hatchet. And I am always on the lookout for decent hatchets as there is a serious lack of them in the game. Has anyone managed to find it?
  • Boeroer likes this

nem0

nem0

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 99 posts

I filed a report. I seriously doubt it is in game at this point. 

https://forums.obsid...-from-the-game/

Edited by nem0, 12 June 2016 - 05:04 AM.

• rheingold and Boeroer like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Cool, thanks.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2032 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Haven't seen that hatchet ingame neither.

That -10 acc, and -10% max endurance on hit, can be handy...

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It'd be handy in that I don't think there's any immunity to fatigue, while it's not the most overpowered debuff it's universal applicability would be great. It's also sweet for dual-wielding barbs (with a second stun/prone weapon to take advantage of the def drop) or really just anyone who wants to use hatchets defensively (-10 accuracy = +10 deflection, giving that particular hatchet +15 deflection against your targeted melee enemy - in addition to -5 to defences essentially meaning +5 to your accuracy).

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
A dual hatchet setup with a barb who has this thing as well as the Yell or the Executioner's Hood and also Dragon Leap can stack +10 deflection and -30 to enemies' ACC - even -40 with the Shout. That because Fatigue, Frightened and Dazed stack - as far as I know. Fatigue stacks with everything. I'm not 100% sure about Frightened + Dazed. If they do it nets you +40 or +50 to your deflection and +30/40 to you other defenses. Pretty nice.

Loren Tyr

Loren Tyr

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 858 posts

Dazed and Frightened don't stack (insofar as they overlap), none of the standard status effects though. I can imagine Fatigue is marked as a passive though, so that might well do so. 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Do you assume this or did you test it? Because when I last saw it both on one enemy none of them was grey (=suppressed . But maybe the acc debuff gets suppressed. I'm not sure as I said.

Loren Tyr

Loren Tyr

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 858 posts

Do you assume this or did you test it? Because when I last saw it both on one enemy none of them was grey (=suppressed . But maybe the acc debuff gets suppressed. I'm not sure as I said.

I tested it, rechecked yesterday just to be sure it hadn't changed :). They don't fully suppress each other though, only the overlapping parts. And because of course for enemies we don't see the partial effects like on our own characters, it isn't directly visible. But from the combat log, it is clear Dazed + Frightened only gives them -10 ACC (well, -12 actually, with the -2 Perception penalty).

• MaxQuest likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ah, ok. Good to know. Big thanks for testing! :)

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why "can inflict prone" from the axe and not "can inflict stun" from starcaller or an other weapon? Stunned debuffs the enemy way more.

And how high is the max crit chance on this build? Is this the highest possible?

Edited by baldurs_gate_2, 15 June 2016 - 05:27 AM.

Odd Hermit

Odd Hermit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why "can inflict prone" from the axe and not "can inflict stun" from starcaller or an other weapon? Stunned debuffs the enemy way more.

And how high is the max crit chance on this build? Is this the highest possible?

Axes have annihilation, giving them more damage on crits. Starcaller or other stunning weapons are a strong choice as well, but I wanted to build a barbarian that uses Axes in particular. It's unfortunate that axes don't have the strongest or most diverse options available, and I wouldn't argue this is the strongest barb build available.

Max crit chance will always be higher for rogues who can get +20% hit->crit conversion with Dirty/Vicious Fighting. So no it's not the highest. You do get 15% of your regular hits converted(via new one handed) though, and with other conversion buffs on top of natural crits you'll still be getting plenty of prone procs and of course the high damage of annihilation.

Edited by Odd Hermit, 15 June 2016 - 06:32 AM.

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ok, but why no items with retaliation? Is it not really strong as barbarian vs. large amount of mobs? Vengiatta Rugia or Garodh's Chorus have them on it.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Retaliation's base damage is very low. Even crits with it are weak. To make it a bit useful, you have to pile up DR bypass and get all melee dmg bonuses you can or it will be totally useless against enemies with higher DR. So don't rely on it unless you can add some cool stuff like Enervating Blows (weaken) or Glittering Gauntlets (daze). It also gets suppressed if you wear any other form of "retaliation" like from Binding Rope (retaliate with stuck affliction) or Lavender Wreath (sicken). Only excpetion is the retatliation from Sura's Supper Plate because it's a weapon and those stack with everything. And it doesn't work with carnage.

Edited by Boeroer, 15 June 2016 - 12:31 PM.

• Elric Galad likes this

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I watched this old video and there it deals really high amount of damage:

https://www.youtube....h?v=EJ_XfF4QGvU* (without the *)

So that does not work any more?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's very, very old. Like a kazillion patches old. ;)

No, it doesn't work like that any more. I now does wimpy damage now and uses a hit roll like any other weapon attack - but it also can cause afflictions like I mentioned above and also profits from things like Turning Wheel and Deathblows now - but still not worth it in my opinion.

dambros

dambros

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Steam:dambros

Reading through this topic I realized it is probably possible to make a competent offtank barb with stun/prone weapon and shield. Does it work well or with the new one hand style, it is simple better to skip the shield?

Right now at lvl11 and beggining of act3, I have around 110 acc and 30% hit to crit chance (hearth orlan + durgan). Is there a way to improve the hit > crit %  besides the priest buff, predatory weapons and the paladin aura?

Edited by dambros, 11 July 2016 - 04:09 PM.

Kazuma

Kazuma

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 117 posts

I came for the explosions, but was sorely disappointed. This is the Trashman build. Not the Trashcan Man build.

Joking aside I'm surprised one handed style wasn't already a thing? (or did it just not have a compelling buff?)

*edit* Derp - the OP does say that this is a buff to the ability in 3.03 so it's safe to say it was already there.

Edited by Kazuma, 11 July 2016 - 05:59 PM.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1027 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
This build was born after the change in One hand style in 3.03 beta

DreamWayfarer

DreamWayfarer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 655 posts

Joking aside I'm surprised one handed style wasn't already a thing? (or did it just not have a compelling buff?)

*edit* Derp - the OP does say that this is a buff to the ability in 3.03 so it's safe to say it was already there.

It was a thing, but it had a nearly useless buff for DPS (30% graze-to-hit, as if grazing was that likely when the only reason to use only one weapon was to stack as much accuracy as possible). It was useful for tanks, however, since it worked with shields back then. For some reason.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Class Build, Barbarian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users