A returning player here, just bought WM part 2, planning on playing all the way through from scratch, on PotD.

I personally love the banter and voice overs, plus the additional XP makes things more convenient in the beginning, so i prefer to run with story companions. This time around the plan is to include Maneha, plus the personal favourties: Eder, Kana and Pallegina.

Here's where I need help. With those 4 locked down, i need to figure out what PC to make and who gets the 6th slot. I'm open to all suggestions, be it based on personal experience, or other crazy ideas that you guys might come up with!

Edited by Efiriel

PotD, used it since i started and there's little reason to play on anything lower. Thanks for pointing it out, it is important:)

I hear you. I've only played on PotD as well. Dunno why I'd bother playing on a lower difficulty.

I second Loren Tyr's suggestions. Priest main for the benefit of better holy radiance (and a MC Priest can be built to be far superior to Durance anyways). Then choose either Aloth, Hiravias, or Grieving Mother.

You can of course take Durance, and then run another caster class as your main (or even two priests if you wanted to).

This time around the plan is to include Maneha, plus the personal favourties: Eder, Kana and Pallegina.

Here's where I need help. With those 4 locked down, i need to figure out what PC to make and who gets the 6th slot. I'm open to all suggestions, be it based on personal experience, or other crazy ideas that you guys might come up with!

Depends on the way you want to build and use Pallegina and Kana.

v1. If Eder is going to be main tank, than two offtanks (Maneha and Kana) is enough. Pallegina in this case could be build as a ranged paladin around FoD + reloading weapons + Wrath burst. And since you already have FoD getting Vielo Vidorio is a no brainer as well.

Now couple that with SureHanded chant and you get a quite fast shooting backline. So the last two spots are going to two ranged dps'ers. I'd take warbow cipher (GM will suit) and a blasting wizard / or arquebus priest.

v2. Another (non-traditional) way (if you'd like to not use Sure-handed) could be:

- melee GM: plate + estoc (Blade of the Endless Paths), focused around crowd-control

- melee Pallegina: plate + dw sabres

- melee Maneha: pike (Tall Grass)

- melee Eder: tank, or: dps with tidefall (Lady of the Pain build) and [1h + shield] in the second set

- melee/ranged Kana: with two quick-switching arquebuses and a pike/staff; starting with Aefyllath and than spamming Dragon-Thrashed

- ranged Priest: with some marking weapon or Gyrd Háewanes

Edited by MaxQuest

... or arquebus priest.

How would you build an Arquebus priest? (I'm genuinely interested.)

Priest of Magran talent + WF: Soldier, for a start. Gives +16 accuracy (and a mini Summer Flame).

Edited by Loren Tyr

I know it might sound funny but: take a priest of Magran and give him an arquebus :)

Or to extend on it:

- pump might and dex

- have decent per

- pick one of the following races: boreal dwarf, wood elf, moon godlike or island aumaua

- in case of aumaua would take Quick Switch and Arms Bearer; if I am not ok with the micro, than better take other race

But that's just for easy/medium encounters. In boss fights, priest is not going to deal damage with weapons.

• Like 1

I know it might sound funny but: take a priest of Magran and give him an arquebus :)

Or to extend on it:

- pump might and dex

- have decent per

- pick one of the following races: boreal dwarf, wood elf, moon godlike or island aumaua

- in case of aumaua would take Quick Switch and Arms Bearer; if I am not ok with the micro, than better take other race

But that's just for easy/medium encounters. In boss fights, priest is not going to deal damage with weapons.

Thanks. I suppose that's a way to use Durance, as well (never used him).

If you want, he can be used that way. But his stats/races are a bit suboptimal for that.

With such high res and decent con, he could be used as offtank. And it will also let you get more from his human racial, as being in front will let it proc more often.

Edited by MaxQuest

If you want, he can be used that way. But his stats/races are a bit suboptimal for that.

With such high res and decent con, he could be used as offtank. And it will also let you get more from his human racial, as being in front will let it proc more often.

(Heh, I'll probably never use him.)

I hope all this gives you some ideas though, Efiriel.

I still think that if you bring a Priest, it should be the MC. But, here are two ways to use Durance, if you choose to bring him instead.

To answer some of the questions and add context, i was going to make Eder into the Tank, give Maneha Tall Grass, Pallegina duals/2hander and aim at doing damage and Kana is the designated "Plug-the-hole" character who can tank, fight CQC or shoot, depending on the situation.

Rearraging the roles is fine by me, btw, it was just an idea. Priest + wizard combo is something that crossed my mind, although i would most likely make the Wizard more into a controller than a nuker.

What about a Ranger? I am a little out of touch with the game currently, but would Priest + Ranger work? The CC would suffer, sure, but another body in front (making a total of 5), plus Priest buffs benefitting lots of targets sounds OK on paper?

Last, but not least, how does the "Shooter" Pallegina MaxQuest mentioned compare to a melee-centric one?

I've been running a ranger through PotD with an Antelope pet as an offtank (in a party with only a Monk, Chanter, Priest, and lore for CC). They are definitely viable. I don't know if I like Sagani though. I also don't know anything about her unique animal companion.

As far as CC goes. Kana can provide some CC. You can also use scrolls (Kana is also good for this since it won't stop his chanting). It's a shame Maneha has such mediocre perception; else she could be built for interrupts. You can also use summons and summon trinkets to redirect damage away from your party (which is also arguably a type of crowd control).

I haven't tried a ranged Paladin (just a Darcozzi tank and a Kind Wayfarer with Tall Grass). So, I won't answer that last question (I'm sure someone has got your back though).

I think your suggested party could work.

I would probably play Maneha more like a rogue than an off tank. Let Eder/Pallegina get swarmed and then bring her in to AOE the mob. Having at least one reach weapon can help with some of the hallway encounters.

I'm currently running Kana as a Drake's Ambassador but with all the spell holding/scrolls I can find and it's pretty awesome. He's constantly chanting and can fire off whispers of treason, fireballs, and even scrolls of paralysis for tougher fights.

Priest will help immensely with buffs and protections (prayer against treachery is awesome).

Ranger I would probably go with a traditional stormcaller ranger and try to be shooting as often as possible.

As for who should be your PC would you rather bring Durance, Sagnai or neither?

I can't for the life of me figure out what makes Itumaak special. Does he at least get the wolf's base damage bonus? He seems inferior to every other animal companion.

I can't speak to how effective a powder burn build is. But if you go that route, you want it to be your player character. You probably want Island Aumaua for that.

Last, but not least, how does the "Shooter" Pallegina MaxQuest mentioned compare to a melee-centric one?

Pros of ranged paladin:

- has a strong opening and can start dealing damage immediately (and benefit from Apprentice Sneak Attack due to first 2s rule)

- can place Lay on Hands on whoever he wants, without getting disengagement attacks if it will require to run to target.

- easier coverage of party with auras.

- can make great use of arbalests, esp. Aedrin Wrecker. Each FoD being almost guaranteed stun or prone. Although Dulcanale and Pliambo per Casitàs are good as well.

- can easier sacrifice con/res for other stats

Pros of dw paladin:

- stronger sustained damage

- easier use of sacred immolation as you are already in melee. While with a ranged one you will have to make him come closer (so no Marksman bonus)

- offtanking body

Speaking of Rangers: how good is the new gunpower-based modal?

In terms of damage it's great. In addition to usual shot you also fire a burning cone for similar damage.

In terms of usage it's tricky. And the trick is to not kill own frontline... or backline if auto-attacking some teleporting monks/shades.

Other pro of ranged Paladin :

- at least on par with cipher to snipe the priority targer because of Sworn Ennemy. (and of course FoD)

- Easier control over coordinated attack. Even more fun with a marking weapon.

- Shielbearer special FoD does not apply to paladin herself (or himself). So it might be even better on a ranged character.

- Backrow offtank. Help when circled.

Another idea : ranged paladin with dangerous implement. At least it makes use of paladin endurance and health. The Hazel wand with Jolting on crit (FoD combo) and Marking could be a good candidate. Implements are not so bad, especially because of the number of pierce-proof ennemies...

Your party is strong on melee so I'd double down on that. Just rush through doors or bait the enemy to rush through to you side, don't have one guy stand in the doorway unless you have a lot of reach weapons. Multiple durable melee supported by multiple auras and chants are a wrecking crew.

You need someone to get mechanics to 13+. I'd add either Devil of Caroc, MC Rogue, MC Cipher, or MC Chanter.

For the MC I'd go MC Cipher or MC Rogue, another Paladin for dual auras and double the fun, or another Chanter for double fun.

For the last spot I'd grab whomever you wanted. Durance, Sagain, Grieving Mother, Hiravois, Aloth any would work.

For Maneha I'd go unlabored blade and dragon maw shield instead of Tall Grass. You have a much better chance of randomly getting a proc than getting consistent crits with a Barbarian on PotD. If you want an on crit effect better to go for stun, its three times better than prone, -30 deflection vs -10 deflection.

The Tall Grass was there for reach as well as on-crit prone. But the idea to make her a second sword-n-board seems tempting. 

Ok, when it comes to Rogues - do ranged ones still work? Is putting a reach weapon on one optimal? Or should i just go dual wield and rely on Shadowing Beyond?

Bow rogues are still quite viable.

They'll still do more damage with a reach weapon than most classes. So, if you wanted to use a reach weapon, there are worse classes to use one.

Just make sure you have a way to trigger sneak attack/deathblows, if you're not flanking.

Edited by TWPE

The Tall Grass was there for reach as well as on-crit prone. But the idea to make her a second sword-n-board seems tempting. 

Ok, when it comes to Rogues - do ranged ones still work? Is putting a reach weapon on one optimal? Or should i just go dual wield and rely on Shadowing Beyond?

If you want to play with the NPC's, i would create a Paladin and take Pallegina anyway, because Sacred Immolation is so strong later, it melts the enemies and both paladins are so tanky, that they rarely die. In the beginning you can even start with low INT, because you can respec anytime.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2