Sajan suggestions

Hi all. I'm at the point in the game where I can choose for Sajan to either go zen archer or drunken master. I'd love to get feed back from other players on which they chose and why.

Currently my group consist of Ezera and Kyra. My play style is more of a beat down type - meaning my group rarely evades anything. Usually we just beat everything up and I liberally burn through blessings when I'm making henchman and closing roles to make sure I can shut locations down.

Sajan has been awesome up until as of late. Lately I've run into a couple of scenarios where monsters are summoned by other players that must be fought by everyone. By the time it is Sajan's turn to explore again he has recharged all of his blessings and is gassed out. I was thinking about making him a Zen archer so he could have a few weapons with a reveal quality ( thinking it might make him not gas out so quick)

Please let me know your thoughts

Also the drunken Master can use weapon, so my money is an drunken Master. He gets 3 point damage resistance and that is huge if he Also get a ring of protektion, then that is 4-5...

Also if you put + to constitution he can drink healing options as often as he likes.

I'm curious too as to how playstyle might differ from one role to the other. My knowledge of him is probably zero although I have him in my story mode party. I made him a potion guzzler to extend his survivability that bit more ( he always hold a heal potion and dare any teammate not to bless him to refill it magically ) since he has a bewildering tendency to make stupefying combat check and trounce a orgre soundly but lose his entire hand to a goblin ( ok exaggeration but you get the idea ) so I learned to give him an extra die just whenever I think it's enough,( from someone else ! Not his !) and he's real buddy with harsk. I crave the day he finally drink one potion and show he's Bruce lee incarnate and swag some awesome moves,. Yes I'm very open minded . Really. ;)

It is hard to resist the allure of Drunken Master, especially with the treasure chest liquids Obsidian has added. I usually still give Sajan a weapon. But Drunken Master is so awesome.

Drunken Master can solve your 0 hand problem with the power feat that you must draw a card at the start of your turn.

Drunken master all the way. As already pointed out, you don't have to be a zen archer to use a bow. He's probably the hardest-to-kill 7-card-hand character since he can recycle so many blessings (and you should have 10 of them by the end of adventure 3).  Focus your entire card collection on fast cycling cards (staff of minor healing, yes please!).  Other than an amulet of fortitude (so you can auto-recharge liquids) and a bow, you don't want any cards hanging around and clogging up the rest of your finely tuned machine of a hand.

Sajan is a slow starter and when not optimized can easily be a below average character, but with the right feats and the right cards, he is simply a beast.  Just remember, if you spend all his blessings helping his team, don't think he's weak when he can't do well in combat. Support him with heals to help both him and the rest of the party.

Here is how I build him:

Intro - Skill - Dex

Adventure 1- Skill Dex, Power +hand size, Card - Weapon (get a magic crossbow)

Adventure 2 - Skill Con (dex if he is struggling in combat, but trying to set up Drunken Master Bring Me Another feat), Power +hand size, Card - Blessing

Adventure 3 - Skill Con, Power - Unarmed Strike (no other choice), Card - Blessing, Role - Drunken Master - Power - Bring Me Another.

Adventures 4+ - Skill - Max out Dex and then anything else, Powers - additional hand size, Dodge, and liquid courage are all good, others are meh, Cards - 2 items (potions of healing!) then anything that cycles well or maybe a second weapon.

• Like 1

I'm planning on doing the same thing.

I am going to run a Lini, Sajan, Meri party.

Lini - Beef STR to prep for scythe later

Sajan - Prep as you said (and use the mule thing to gank healing potions for later)

Meri - Nothing, she is fine for Acrobat

So anyone has more ideas how to make our beloved monk that more beast ? I always have time for a good read up on that because I swear the closest he got to beast was the bestial roar he gets from buddy harsk when sajan demanded yet another blessing to save his drink. Very nice tip about having that ammy of fortitude to ease his drinking needs although he would need to "procure" it from, guess who, harsk his best buddy yet again. Because you see harsk like to guard places like deep dungeons to prevent any nefarious villain escaping into it and consider that amulet his particular charm for doing what he does best. I'm not sure how harsk would react to lending that to sajan on top of expending all his arrows and bows to bail his arse out or tossin' his meager blessing so our monk could get drunk again.

im sure he has a finer side . Turns out that once , he encountered foul smelling barl - yes what's more stinky than an ogre troll? An undead one - and he had that eureka moment when barl made him pull out all his carefully hoarded blessings after discarding his , of all thing, beloved heal pot. Lost amongst his joyous whoops of glee, as he laid onto what should have probably stayed dead, was the sigh of resignation as his teammates were left counting what's left of their blessing to get him there in the first place. Something I'm sure our sajan didn't pay heed.

Regretfully story mode doesn't allow further exploration of his latent glorious potential but I'm sure that maybe just may, there's a Bruce lee trick hidden underneath somewhere . Yeah.

Ps: that drunken master trick of pulling an extra card is indeed gold in most situation I guess. unless he's been get blank hand due to one goblin too many perhaps and have none to pull from. *hic*

Very nice tip about having that ammy of fortitude to ease his drinking needs although he would need to "procure" it from, guess who, harsk his best buddy yet again. Because you see harsk like to guard places like deep dungeons to prevent any nefarious villain escaping into it and consider that amulet his particular charm for doing what he does best.

That's one approach, I guess, but it always strikes me as redundant to give an auto-success item to the person that's already strong in that discipline. Also, if I only go by the closing requirement to place my heroes - often some of them remain useless (or they otherwise risk encountering the henchman and busting the To Close check). So, in my party, Ezren gets the Amulet of Fortitude (and so he has no worries going into Deeper Dungeons if Thassilonian Dungeon is not available), while Harsk get compensated with Crown of Charisma and can merrily stroll into the Prison.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Very nice tip about having that ammy of fortitude to ease his drinking needs although he would need to "procure" it from, guess who, harsk his best buddy yet again. Because you see harsk like to guard places like deep dungeons to prevent any nefarious villain escaping into it and consider that amulet his particular charm for doing what he does best.

That's one approach, I guess, but it always strikes me as redundant to give an auto-success item to the person that's already strong in that discipline. Also, if I only go by the closing requirement to place my heroes - often some of them remain useless (or they otherwise risk encountering the henchman and busting the To Close check). So, in my party, Ezren gets the Amulet of Fortitude (and so he has no worries going into Deeper Dungeons if Thassilonian Dungeon is not available), while Harsk get compensated with Crown of Charisma and can merrily stroll into the Prison.

Different style I guess . There's some reason I prefer harsk holding it. One being closure both perm and temp is just more significant than losing a heal potion. 2nd being a 8check without any difficulty modifier is still liable for failure even if I always give harsk an extra die with his natural fortitude +2 bonus. So when it comes to something significant I'd like a fail safe option when available. Third of course being harsk has inbuilt ability to recharge that ammy and put it to notable use , such as saving sajan arse , instead of having it on his hand waiting for the right chance to use it or else discard it (which is pure waste to recycle again via healing and then to redraw in what , 12 turns later)This boils down to my style in clean resetting the hand where possible for strategic advantage.

I do have to concede maybe the ammy find one or 2 more extra use in a scenario if used in sajan case compared to harsk especially if sajan holds more than one heal pot.but sajan has other means to heal too like ally which doesn't stay there after use.or staff of healing.

Also I don't usually have issue with harsk not finding location based in fortitude, well, in the few runs I took that party through story mode. See point 3 he will have a ready use of this item he happens to draw on that turn and he can still readily take out goblins without wasting a card as along with Valero he has the best consistency in making the min check in combat. So he doesn't need charisma boost item too as he usually find a spot in location to do with combat check for closure although last I checked he has it and in truth probably not being used much.