Barl Gimmeabreakbones: beating his Fortitude check defeats him outright

Longshot11

Question

Whodda known stone giant necromancers are such pushovers?

Ezren stumbles upon Barl. Ezren usually laughs in the face of Constitution/Fortitude checks, and not in an amused way. Ezren is smart. Ergo, Ezren has his trusty Amulet of Fortitude handy.

- Ezren flicks the amulet out and Joffrey-es Barl on the face

- Barl turns around and runs like the little female Goblin Dog that he is, completely forgetting to try Ezren mano-a-mano with a second Combat check

Just so we can narrow down the issue, has anyone else defeated Barl's first Fortitude check? With the Amulet or by rolling for it? Did you have the same result?

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

9 answers to this question

I can confirm that the amulet bypass the second combat check.

I might have seen the first fortitude save being made normally and the combat check still getting rolled on once or twice I decided to do so. Nothing concrete on this, just something I seem to recall now I see this post

• Like 1

I defeated him using a potion of fortitude, and I had the same result you did.  I did not have to do the second check after using the potion of fortitude.  

Hmm.. Sounds like maybe these items are coded something like "IF target card has Fortitude check to acquire/defeat => THEN automatically acquire/defeat target card" (as opposed to "automatically succeed at the check")

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Strange, I have had to fight him three times to beat him. Three times in fact. Once I failed the third check as I unloaded everything on the second for a huge dice pool :( Still won in the end though, had 12 more blessings in the deck.

Device: Hudl 2

Pass & Play: OFF

Permadeath: OFF

Mode: Story

Party Members: Seoni, Valeros, Lem, Lini

Turn Order: Seoni, Lini, Valeros, Lem

Scenario: Any with Barl Breakbones

Difficulty: any

Wildcards: N/A

Trigger: Barl Breakbones, Fortitude check

I have beaten Barl several times by using either a Potion of Fortitude or the Amulet. The rules say that with a 12F Or 15C Then 21C you can choose either the 12F or the 15C, but you must then resolve the 21C. But my experience is that the 12F is sufficient, which is wrong.

Rules: (12F OR 15C) THEN (21C)

Game: (12F) OR (15C THEN 21C)

Edited by mccrispy

Blast from the past!   Looks like Barl Breakbones can still be defeated in one check using the Amulet of Fortitude.

Cornered Barl in the last location. An over-prepared Merisiel got through the first check with an Amulet of Fortitude.  Her hand was reset as expected, and then suddenly the scenario was a win.  Not complaining too much... that second combat check was looking ugly.  ;)