Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Fair enough, I didn't get the ending I had originally wanted. Coworker kept talking up to me how badass Vader's scenes were

He chops up some mooks, yip-eee

Well they'd already destroyed the Jedi, so it's not like there were more than 5 possible worthy opponents left in the galaxy...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Fair enough, I didn't get the ending I had originally wanted. Coworker kept talking up to me how badass Vader's scenes were

He chops up some mooks, yip-eee

Well they'd already destroyed the Jedi, so it's not like there were more than 5 possible worthy opponents left in the galaxy...

Well I had kind of wanted them to be sending the plans on just by the skins of their teeth as Vader chews through them all, maybe kills Jyn seconds after the Tantive IV gets it, etc. I guess I'm just unimpressed with it on a 'wow' level rather than a story one - as it is it is fine. Though you'd think they'd have made sure the guy copying it on the to disc had a clear beeline to the corvette :p

Hm ok, now spoilers just show the BBcode and not being hidden for me :lol: Must be a Firefox issue

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I agree.

I expected him be at least a little involved with other characters in the climax. Instead half of them die to stormtrooper chumps and to my surprise I keep hearing Vader is terrifying because he chops up some goons who might as well be battle droids for as much as the audience cares. What a waste, there was no reason to not have Vader take out some of them, especially since three of them died in a row to three different combat explosions.

Minimal use of Vader was very appropriate. They proved they knew how to make a Star Wars film without throwing Jedi and lightsabers everywhere. It was very important that this be a movie that's not about Jedi and Sith, at least as far as I'm concerned.

That he never even met the protagonists is part of that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Why was that very important? Putting aside that I felt this film was dull and I think they failed at it in the first place, even if they proved they could why was that something that needed proving? I feel like it was more important that they show the odds and danger the rebels face and they didn't. Every character was invincible until they pressed their respective plot button and they weren't needed anymore. None of them failed. Imperials and Stormtroopers were as ineffective as ever until the plot said so. Having Vader in there could have changed that - and if you can use Vader and he does nothing but fail and doesn't hit anyone where it matters while doing it, what's the point of having him? To devalue him like that?

Vaders only as effective as the plot says so, too. It's not like he slaughtered his way through the OT. He kills what, four people? Two of those are on his side.

Because Star Wars needs to be about more. Especially these anthology films. A failure to understand that, a reliance on lightsaber spectacle, was part of the flaws of the prequels. They repeatedly used lightsabers and Jedi as a crutch in otherwise terrible films. And given how excited people are by so short a moment of it you can probably see how tempting it could be for Disney to fall into that same routine.

Vader crushing a bunch of the fleet during their escape and the Death Star finishing off the surface were enough to show the battle as hard won. They basically went in with no way out.

Edit: Thread's acting funny with lots of posts, creating a new one. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/90693-movies-youve-seen-recently/

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."