Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Man I wish I saw the same things you guys did in Rogue One. I wanted to like it, but I was just so bored.

If you watch it while slightly drunk and went in expecting a war movie it's good.

The day after and slightly more sober, I can't really remember much about it. No particularly memorable character(aside from the Droid) and I can't really remeber their names. I thought it was fun, but I also think throwing dynamite at deathclaws is fun so maybe I'm easily entertained. What I said about Donnie Yen stands, he should have destroyed the entire empire with his fists.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I only somewhat agree. Star Wars always had a balance of fantasy and contemporary elements. WW2 dogfights and Nazi uniforms aren't exactly fairy tale stuff and the first film pretty clearly deals with nuclear deterrent and government security just as much as it does with a Space Princess captured by the Black Knight. Rogue One just made it unbalanced towards politics and war movies and tried to hammer it home with obvious symbolism like mushroom clouds and Galen Erso as Space Oppenheimer. For me the most interesting moments were the more Fantasy elements like the Jedi Temple and Vader's personal dark tower, because they weren't obvious recreations of Iwo Jima with AT-AT's.

Not sure why you think Ep7 falls into the same trap, because it's a race to find the wizard using the magic treasure map and the power was inside you all along fantasy cliches. I'm going to guess it's because of identity politics, because the anti-SJWs on this board inject more of that nonsense than any feminist I've ever seen.

The first SW films were pretty firmly Space Princess, Black Knight and lighthearted adventure first and everything else a distant second. None of the characters take themselves too seriously and the whole thing has a decidedly campy feel.

Rogue One and Ep7 have the same in your face, slavish devotion to series tropes, treating the universe as though its this grand, sacred fully fledged world. Everything that the more obnoxious series fans obsess over needlessly like the horde of cretins they are takes front and center instead of making a carefree adventure that both children and adults can enjoy.

That's why I said its fan fiction.

Eh. Again, I see that in Rogue One very clearly but I felt like Ep7 was carefree as they come, slavishly devoted to the style of Star Wars while not stressing over the actual suvstance. It does have a huge fan fiction quality to it as a loose remake, but for very different reasons. Because it takes itself too seriously sounds like projection to me. It doesn't explain its setting and the politics of the New Republic or even why Luke's saber is there because it's to busy getting to the next ridiculous fight. "Take this cool laser sword, that you have it is more important than why 'cuz dem baddies are here."

That's opposite to Rogue One, which goes out of its way to equate Rebels with terrorists and gives Emperor Ming's Doomsday Space Laser the dramatic weight of a nuke in a war movie. It tries to add shades of grey to that farmboy saving the princess that it doesn't deserve and that IMO don't fit. Seeing a gritty war movie in Star Wars is a fanboy wish I've never shared, I guess.

Force Awakens doesn't even give its death laser respect: "So, it's big. There's always a way to blow it up." It makes an off-hand remark about Stormtroopers being brainwashed innocents and then gleefully blows some more up whereas Rogue One broods about collateral damage like it's Nolan's Batman movies. There's a difference to trying too hard to feel like Star Wars, like Ep7, and taking Star Wars far too seriously like Rogue One. Ep7 fits fine into a world where Teddy Bears defeat the Empire, Rogue One doesn't.

Rogue One works in Star Wars universe in sense that it is prelude to New Hope and its mission is to convey world without hope, but where people seek hope and at end they succeed to find it. It is from darker end of fairy tales that uses lots of themes from war and political movies, but in my opinion it succeed to tell fairy tale of people seeking hope, much better than Force Awakens succeed to tell fairy tale of people seeking wisdom and understanding about darkness that threatens world. So in short, in my opinion Rogue One fits much better on its place in Star Wars mythos than Force Awakens.

Sully.

Tom Hanks as the pilot of the passenger jet that had to perform a water landing in the Hudson River back in 2009. An engaging, if slightly dry look at the aftermath of the event and the investigation into the crash.  They've cut the crash itself into a series of flashbacks that intersperse at various points throughout the film which seems to be a pacing issue. Since it's so rare for the pilots to actually survive such an event he (and the co-pilot) actually faced a lot of investigation for potential pilot error in the background even after they saved all 155 souls on board. I can understand how the full investigation could be rather dull for a full film but this one was... It skips over some of the time and hits shallow highlights of the investigation and key moments rather than give specific details. You do get the emotional punch of the responsible pilot who starts to question his choices and if he in fact put the passengers in more danger or not, and the way to the public he got turned into a hero which made him feel even more of a fraud just for doing his job.

So very much a your milage may vary type of film.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Kind of stupid bad guys - this guy goes one a rampage after they kill his dog and steal his car and then they think to blow up his house ? Tsk.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Kind of stupid bad guys - this guy goes one a rampage after they kill his dog and steal his car and then they think to blow up his house ? Tsk.

They didn't kill his dog though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It doesn't look that bad actually.

Lol, of course it doesn't look bad, its lifted straight out of the original.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Rogue One - best Star Wars movie since RoTJ for me. Of course I went in wanting a more gritty Star Wars movie, so that was perfect. My friends wanted more of the magic/fantasy and were generally dissapointed by everything except Donnie Yen. I can see why of course, it had none of the things that would make a good traditional Star Wars movie.. not even the proper start!

But this had made me a lot more comfortable with Disney having the franchise.

Fortune favors the bald.

Final Fantasy Kingsglaive - I have the game coming for Christmas, so I thought it would be worth a watch.  It was a bit better than I expected.  I'd say it was as good as the WoW movie, which means it had some good parts and some bad parts.  Aaron Paul's character was pretty fun and he did a good job voicing it.  One of those movies that is fun to look at if you don't look too closely.

Rogue One, loved it. K2-SO was awesome, Baze and Donnie Yuen's character were great, and how they connected everything was masterful. Would be nice if Marvel acknowledged their TV shows in their movies as much as this referenced Star Wars Rebels too. (Two appearances by the Ghost, and a PA call for General Syndulla)

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's the first instance of a Clone Wars character appearing in films. Kind of cool on that front. And he's going to appear in Rebels now.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Saw Rogue One. It was ok I guess, tie ins and references to Ep 4 were neat. Didn't really find it as gritty or dark as people were saying but it was an ok war film. Even with the Imperial military idiocy at times

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Saw Rogue One. It was ok I guess, tie ins and references to Ep 4 were neat. Didn't really find it as gritty or dark as people were saying but it was an ok war film. Even with the Imperial military idiocy at times

IMO just the fact that it's a War film makes it's "dark and gritty" when compared to the rest of the series.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Fair enough, I didn't get the ending I had originally wanted. Coworker kept talking up to me how badass Vader's scenes were

He chops up some mooks, yip-eee

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1