Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

So...the Deathly Hallows Part 1 all over again? :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, I suppose there was too much teenager...or uh, young adult at that point, actually...angst for it to really be called "lighthearted" or "fun". :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Extremely schizophrenic. There's a good lighthearted adventure romp about a muggle being dragged along with a wizard to save some animals buried under a dark story about abused children and twenty tons of setting up an arc for further movies. The lighthearted adventure romp is great, the rest of it not so much.

The abused kids part did introduce some good ideas though- sorta like Star Wars, in as what can happen to Wizards if they let their emotions and power take control.. 

But otherwise I agree and the whole -everything is back to the way it was and no one noticed the difference- in the end was a little too 90s sitcom and, well stupid.

Fortune favors the bald.

While I did find that interesting, it didn't make a lot of sense to me - how does this not happen to wizards who get expelled and their wands taken away and forbidden to do magic? We know they exist, it's Hagrid's backstory.

This was only with kids who manifest magic and actively try to supress it growing up, because of shame, anger etc

Not someone who chooses to accept they can, but not do

And to be fair in the books, Hargrid can and does still do magic (his broken wand is held in his umbrella) he's legally got issues if caught.  But the implication of FANTASTIC BEASTS is that the Obscurus is related to kids suppressing their magic and/or being open to creating an Obscurus within themselves due to lack of training.  It also lies a heavy implication as to why magical societies find magic schools such a necessity.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Star Wars Rogue One, which seemed to be popular, as my local theater was screening it simultaneously on three screens (with total about 900 seats) and they were nearly sold out all their screenings.

Movie itself is darkest Star Wars, but it is still full of jokes and comedic scenes and it focus on hope (which isn't that surprising considering that it is New Hope's prelude)

One thing that I liked most in the movie was their explanation why Deathstar had such massive design flaw.

I liked movie and I would recommend it if you are planning to go see movie in this month.

Saw Rogue One too. Found it rather humdrum, which mostly had to do with the fact the only character I cared about was the nihilist droid. The action looked fantastic but randoms vs bad randoms isn't riveting storytelling. Also I don't care what anyone says, CGI Peter Cushing was a terrifying monstrosity.

I just came back from seeing Rogue One and I'll reckon I'll be the most positive one so far. I thought it was really, really good. For the sake of avoiding spoilers I'll just hide everything, but here is roughly what I thought:

It is for one a film that will certainly silence any criticisms about rehashing old scenes and storylines and not moving the universe forward; but more importantly it does seem to be a notably updated look at the Empire and the rebellion, as something other than a thinly veiled allusion at Nazi Germany and the Allies through World War II. In fact, if there is a system the Empire seems to be mostly making an allusion to this time around, it is most certainly the USA and its policies on the Middle East and other occupied territories through its history. If nothing else, there is a clear parallel to the style the film is shot with the likes of The Battle of Algiers and your usual Vietnam films, particularly as it approaches the climactic battle. But most of all it is there in the way the Rebels seem to finally act more than any other time before as actual freedom fighters (even labelled terrorists through the film), fighting in the most desperate and futile of forms against a far more organized, structured power bent on finding a universal peace even if its at the cost of oppressing those who would not accept their idea of freedom. This much is even said by Ben Mehldenson's character at the start of the film. Likewise the test runs for the Death Star resemble less the world-killing the likes of J.J. Abrams is fond of, and more a slow, creeping advance of a nuclear explosion akin to what Sarah Connor dreams of in Terminator 2: Judgement Day. There is a more tangible horror here than there is in any of the past Star Wars films and it helps a lot in making this a tense and unnerving film throughout. All this also paired with the knack Gareth Edwards has shown before in the likes of his version of Godzilla for impactful visuals, this time around gladly working with a more concise, coherent story, and a screenplay that although quite flawed is nowhere near the steaming turd that sank the aforementioned blockbuster.

With this said, the dialogue is still particularly problematic, being very on-the-nose and expositional of feelings and ideas as well as sheer actions, and the performances are of widely varying quality, Donnie Yen resulting particularly irksome to me. I do agree that the CGI-reconstructed characters looked very weird too, Peter Cushing looking particularly fidgety, his eyes having a strangely disconnected look to them, as if he was never focusing on any one thing. The music, made this time around by Michael Giacchino, also pales in comparison to John Williams' excellent work, made all the more problematic as it tries to ape his style and his original leitmotifs, only further revealing that what we are listening to is not, in fact, John Williams. It's a shame because this aspect aside I don't feel like the film is slavish to the established style and world the way the likes of The Force Awakens was - it is very clearly its own thing within the Star Wars world.

Also it is a testament to the film's strength that it was able to win me over despite the absolutely horrendous projection I had to see it in. The picture was extremely dim and slightly out of focus, the framerate also wonky through several sequences (seeming oddly sped up, as if being projected with the motion enhancers one usually finds in HDTVs). I'm eager to see it again just to see how the experience may change when projected properly.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Hrm, interesting that you found it tense and unnerving. I felt no tension whatsoever myself, so I wonder where the difference lies. I attributed it to not caring about the characters. 12 hours later, I can't remember their names. I remember Jyn from the trailers and Galen because it's repeated over and over. During the movie itself, I kept forgetting the pilot character had even tagged along with them. Donnie Yen and his buddy with the gun had potential, but were wasted. I wanted to know more about them and see them do something useful, I liked how they touched upon the religion of the force. But they contributed little to the plot and unless the idea is to bring them back in further movies, cutting them would have changed nothing. I liked the droid, though.

I'm not in disagreement with you by any means, TrueNeutral. I do think some of the characters are underdeveloped and I wouldn't say I ended up caring overly for each one individually, if I nevertheless did for the overall mission as a fan of the saga. But I do think the tension is derived for me more from the ideas and the tone than the attachment to any character specifically. And it might be an unfitting comparison to make, but I also reckon there is a similar attachment towards groups/masses as there is in the likes of Battleship Potemkin as well - it is less about following the individual hero's journey and more about the part the team plays in what is a greater victory for the people and so on.

In fact, in terms of what I'd say ellicited the biggest emotional response for me, it's in seeing how the events in this film end up tying up to the start of the original film. That race through the last fifteen minutes to get the plans to the hands of the rebels and out of the imperial base, only to then lead to what would be that first classic confrontation between Vader and Leia, really filled me with glee.

I did also have the same issue you did about the names for each individual character. I'm not a Star Wars geek by any means despite being a fan of the films so I reckon it could do with there being far too many places and characters introduced altogether too quickly to really have their names stick with me. The imperial pilot even refers to himself more as "the pilot" than he is by anyone by name. I do of course remember some of the names - Jyn, Rey Guerrera, Galen, Cassian, K-230 - but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't have to look any of the others up.

I have high hopes. 

MV5BMjM5MTA2Mzg1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDU0

There is nothing worth adding to that film. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I've always seen Ghost in the Shell as something of an ideological sequel to Blade Runner, as if working with the existential questions about one's humanity and individuality following the acknowledgement that they are not "natural" (or human). I guess one could approach a sequel to Blade Runner similarly, but I agree that there is nothing that is needed to add to that film. Whether it is *worth* adding, that depends largely on what they come up for it as a follow-up, or an interesting stand-alone film set within that same world. I'm always open for that myself, but we'll see what they make of it.

Rogue One

Passable fan-fiction

Its basically the same as Force Awakens, except FA was bad fan fiction

Both are just products really, more or less on the same creative level as a stormtrooper mug. The fairy tale naivete of the old films just replaced with a generic action adventure script, put a few x wings in it and you're done.

They're going to keep cranking out this same movie for a while.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Rogue One will be the first Star Wars movie I get on Blu-Ray.

I thought it was pretty okay for most of the film. But the third act is simply perfect. It turned an acceptable side story in the Star Wars universe into a worthy addition to the original epic.

It made me feel feelings. Feelings that leave me unsatisfied with other entertainment, at least for a little while. The kind that put me in a position to write and express myself. To improve my own creative energy and try to pass those feelings on that way.

The appropriate adjective is "inspiring."

Try not to give that too much weight, however. I'm not saying it'll change lives. While it is a grand thing, I'm also inspired by Bushes of Love (we've all got a Chicken Duck Woman Thing waiting for us). That song is beautiful and ridiculous.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Because he is a FANATIC. He is the guy who makes these movies possible and still make millions because they know people will pay to watch even if those people know they'll hate it. He'll be right back for E8 bashing it too. Same when the Solo prequel movie comes out.

Anyways, while everyone gets HYPED for the nu SW.. I do what I usually do... I'll wait for it on DVD and then watch a midly entertaining decent movie that is overrated by the masses but loathed by the edgelords.

SW is just so.... there.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Rogue One

Wait a sec, all you did was complain about The Force Awakens.  Why would you bother with Rogue One?

I'm probably more upset because I have a cold and haven't been able to go see it myself.   ;(

It was my friend's birthday and he pitched the idea of going to the midnight screening. I felt like sci-fi action entertainment.

Which is why I say the movie was ok, because it delivered on that.

It terms of creative and original movie-making, however, its not there. Too many formulaic moments, from the (not very funny) comic relief droid to the Last King of Scotland - just going through the motions of SW.

People think Lucas is a hack - but Lucas has standards. He would have never made this film, not because he couldn't do it but because it brings essentially nothing of value and therefore has no reason to exist. I understand and respect him for that - better to have tried and kinda failed (with ep 1,2,3) than just repeat the same thing over and over.

I can't respect directors who engage in pointless masturbatory exercises, which is what Rogue One is.

The fact that it can be considered ok is just a testament to the merits of the original saga - that it can carry an otherwise very average film even forty years after its creation

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I am just hoping they all die one by one in the end.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra