Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

As I said on the other thread, I feel it looks extremely goofy and kitschy, and to my mind I feel like I'm seeing another Jupiter Ascending in the making. But then again, I have not seen anything of Luc Besson that I've liked, including The Fifth Element. So maybe it's just not my thing.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

As I said on the other thread, I feel it looks extremely goofy and kitschy, and to my mind I feel like I'm seeing another Jupiter Ascending in the making. But then again, I have not seen anything of Luc Besson that I've liked, including The Fifth Element. So maybe it's just not my thing.

Even The Professional?

Is it just me or do the leads seem like some kind of haughty, pre-packaged action figure people? Is there a plot point about perfect cloned people in it or something?

Anyway, saw two weirder titles. About Time, a time travel movie in which the time travel was superfluous and was mostly a painfully saccherine love story. And Hello, My Name Is Doris, a quirky but fun type indie movie about age that would have been meh but was elevated by Sally Field's wonderfully all-in performance.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Even The Professional?

Was my first Besson, and was really not into it. I found it very over the top, the aesthetic aged poorly, generally I was irritated by it. Though it, Nikita and AngelA were probably the three I had the least troubles with. Any irritation I felt with this was but the slightest discomfort compared to the absolute migraines I found The Fifth Element and The Messenger to be.

With this in mind, it is not that I oppose histrionic styles and what have you. I mentioned earlier that I rate very highly the works of Gilliam and Wojciech Has for example, who are if anything further out there. But their works seem imaginative and closely linked to a history and a theme being touched on in the films, whereas with Besson I just find them ugly facades for empty interiors.

Edited by algroth

yeah 5th element looked better 20 years ago, and these actors? wtf. that guy looks like he hardly can carry himself. I mean I got it, no more Arnies and Stalones, but cmon, it looks like emo cast for Twilight

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Have you read the comic? Valérian is a pretty weak character actually, he mostly survives on speed and charm (at least he thinks he's charming) - it's a fairly clear example of a feminist comic, where Laureline always comes in to save the day.. For reference:

valtop.gif

It works though, for what it is- as they slowly build a working relationship where both of their strength come into play and they learn to respect their difference, once they put aside 20th societal notions.

If anything it seems they made him a bit more masculine and capable in the trailer (Mass Effect inspired it seems as well)

valerian-03.jpg

Fortune favors the bald.

Disregarding his action competence in the comic, I always thought Valérian looked older, experienced, a bit tired and world weary, but still outclassed by Laureline at his job every step of the way.

DeHaan comes across as a bit too young.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

DeHaan is 30; however I think people these days tend to look younger in their 30s than they did in the 60s-70s. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Cubs won the World Series, Pennsylvania helped to elect a possible Manchurian candidate into the White House, and M. Night Shyamalan actually came out with a good movie. Clearly we're in uncharted waters:

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

finally saw kingsmen.  weird.  somewhere in the mess were a fun (if familiar) concept. american version with vin diesel has the super spy who is effective 'cause he is anti-establishment.  english spin has its eliza doolittle predictable conform to the organization, going so far as to don the trappings o' a "gentlemen."  contrast.  *shrug* still coulda worked, but samuel l. jackson's lispy villain were a disappointment, and in spite o' a fantastic cast, too many folks phoned in their performances, or existed only to let us see how much kewler were the protagonist than everybody else.  

'course the most improbable moment in the movie were the following

no way does hary hart quote hemingway. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ugh, just... No. We'll have to see how the film actually turns out, but that trailer looks as if they're merely upping the action and scale, and dumbing down the ideas and characters. What dialogue there was in it was cringeworthy, and what parallels one can draw between its opening sequence (replete with robot geisha monsters) and the original's make me really dread what I originally had some expectations for with the viral campaign.

Edit: So apparently the robotic geishas are a reference to the Stand Alone Complex series? I have yet to see that as I don't watch many series in general. Either way I can't say I've enjoyed this addition in what seems to otherwise be imitating rather strictly the style/events of the original film.

Edited by algroth

Mechanic: Resurrection.

Its a fairly standard Jason Statham film, decent action sequences that flow along, although I don't think it's quite as smartly done as The Mechanic. Jessica Alba, Michelle Yeoh and Tommy Lee Jones have fairly minimal supporting roles, but they do what they can with it.  I think they focused more on the being kick-ass and doing action sequences rather than on that whole.. professional, engineering, genius at evaluating planning and setting up the kill methods that were the characters forte in the original. The bad guy is fairly shallow, and serves more as an excuse to pull in Statham's character back from the supposed dead and into taking out targets.

If you want your generic popcorn fix its light, daft, and entertaining for what it is.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

finally saw kingsmen.  weird.  somewhere in the mess were a fun (if familiar) concept. american version with vin diesel has the super spy who is effective 'cause he is anti-establishment.  english spin has its eliza doolittle predictable conform to the organization, going so far as to don the trappings o' a "gentlemen."  contrast.  *shrug* still coulda worked, but samuel l. jackson's lispy villain were a disappointment, and in spite o' a fantastic cast, too many folks phoned in their performances, or existed only to let us see how much kewler were the protagonist than everybody else.  

'course the most improbable moment in the movie were the following

no way does hary hart quote hemingway. 

HA! Good Fun!

I loved that. I feel that on paper I should hate every film Vaughn has made, and simply not get along with his style... And yet I'm always caught off-guard with how creative his films are in the smaller details, the great sense of humour and sheer fun he's able to inject into them, and Kingsman is no different. I had a blast with it.

I think you nailed how I feel about 'Stardust', the first film I saw by Matthew Vaughn. I think it's the best "adventure fantasy" film since Princess Bride. You can tell the actors are really enjoying themselves.

Absolutely. Really liked that one even as I originally dismissed it as just a romantic fairy tale starring Claire Danes.

I think you nailed how I feel about 'Stardust', the first film I saw by Matthew Vaughn. I think it's the best "adventure fantasy" film since Princess Bride. You can tell the actors are really enjoying themselves.

Absolutely. Really liked that one even as I originally dismissed it as just a romantic fairy tale starring Claire Danes.

To be fair, it's also a story by Neil Gaiman....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've seen a ton of trash lately but two good films stood out:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - a fine drama-comedy-adventure about an orphaned boy and his unlikely "uncle" as they evade baddies from child-protective services in the New Zealand bush. The formula has been seen before but the script is great.

Perfetti Sconosciuti (Perfect Strangers) - a good relationship drama in which couples play a modern version of a truth-or-dare type game that reveals all the many secrets they kept from each other.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.