Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Phantom of the Opera the 1943 version. Still looks great.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Two lost in the woods buddy movies:

- Hunt For The Wilderpeople: Pretty funny, great performances by the leads, especially Sam Neill, but has trouble moving back and forth between its serious character-driven scenes and the more over the top comedic scenes. Overall still great and I'm looking forward to what this director does with Thor 3, the Thor & Hulk buddy movie. 7/10

- Swiss Army Man: Also pretty funny, but it got a little too out there and nonsensical for me when it tried turn a story about a corpse with magic fart, vomit and boner powers into a character driven drama. I'd say someone needs to make a highlight reel short-film and leave it there. The scenes that work are fantastic, but there are too many that don't. 5/10

Edited by TrueNeutral

Director Tim Miller, Ryan Reynolds Part Company On ‘Deadpool 2’

After a series of creative differences between Deadpool director Tim Miller and star Ryan Reynolds, Miller has exited Deadpool 2. He hadn’t formally signed a deal to continue, but he was developing the script and by all accounts had planned to return behind the camera for a film Fox will release in 2018.

Free games updated 3/4/21

- Swiss Army Man: Also pretty funny, but it got a little too out there and nonsensical for me when it tried turn a story about a corpse with magic fart, vomit and boner powers into a character driven drama. I'd say someone needs to make a highlight reel short-film and leave it there. The scenes that work are fantastic, but there are too many that don't. 5/10

Funny I thought the exact same thing, plot development and shooting style was really reminicient of short films.. So I looked up the directors- yep only made shorts so far.

Fortune favors the bald.

High Spirits: A charming little ghost story completely stolen by the late Mr O'Toole, one forgets just how charismatic and handsome the chap was.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I forgot what the last thing I posted here was so a few recent ones -

THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE (1961) - Nice doomsday scenario where the US and USSR manage to throw the earth out of orbit with simultaneous nuclear blasts.  A paen to the old days of newspaper journalism as we see what happens through the prisim of a newsroom and one of its key reporters.

QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (1955) - Professor Quatermass sends a rocket to space.  Things do go well and the ship crashes.  Then things go worse.  The start of Hammer pursuing horror titles is still effective at being creepy (helped by the source material, I'm sure).

THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING (1964) A handful of people meet at a small town.  Everyone seems to have died mysteriously.  Then strange creatures show up and the dead begin to walk.  Better than its reputation (IMO), it has a small scope and tells its story well.  The movie predicts, in a way as it most likely draws from the same sources, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD with their survivalist storytelling, walking dead, and arguments over what will keep them surviving - keeping running or taking up a defensible position.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For Russian speakers anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Director Tim Miller, Ryan Reynolds Part Company On ‘Deadpool 2’

After a series of creative differences between Deadpool director Tim Miller and star Ryan Reynolds, Miller has exited Deadpool 2. He hadn’t formally signed a deal to continue, but he was developing the script and by all accounts had planned to return behind the camera for a film Fox will release in 2018.

Miller wanted to go big, Reynolds wanted to stay in the same lane

In initial sequel talks, Reynolds, Reese and Wernick envisioned a “scrappy,” raunchy and inexpensive movie, the insider said — in the vein of the first, which earned over $780 million worldwide on a $58 million budget. It’s a stunning return on a film Reynolds lobbied 11 years to make.

Miller, known more for his visual flair than for the brash antics that Reynolds and his writers embraced and that fans loved, wanted a more stylish take, one that would compete with mega-budget superhero movies, insiders said. But it would have cost three times as much as the original $58 million film

Allegedly
Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's pretty hard not to side with Reynolds, even without that story hitting.  The guy has been pushing for Deadpool for over a decade, and he delivered.  

And I think the low budget really worked for Deadpool. It made different than all the rest blockbuster superhero movies.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

It's pretty hard not to side with Reynolds, even without that story hitting.  The guy has been pushing for Deadpool for over a decade, and he delivered.  

To be fair, so has Tim Miller. He was slated to make a CG cartoon long before Fox pushed him up towards the big boy version. But I agree with kirottu, creative use of a low(ish) budget is a huge part of why the movie felt so fresh. Can't blame Tim Miller for being more ambitious, but you can't lose sight of that. Plus, not being on Deadpool 2 means he's got a free schedule to get back to his adaptation of The Goon with David Fincher, and I bet he's finally got the clout to make that happen. After, who better to direct the CG industry away from PG-13 than the guy who made that work for superheroes?

The whole movie "Stalker" on youtube? While i certainly don't mind it, but how did that happen? Did the copyright end? Or does the distributor just don't care?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The whole movie "Stalker" on youtube? While i certainly don't mind it, but how did that happen? Did the copyright end? Or does the distributor just don't care?

As near as I can tell (not being Russian and having to rely on translators) that link is to Mosfilms' official youtube site.  So it appears the production company/copyright owner posted it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

doesn't need be a matter of taking a side, does it?  am suspecting a big budget and more serious deadpool sequel, in the right hands, could be a great flick.  converse, is also making sense to wanna keep doing what already worked in the first movie. got two guys who had different ideas for the sequel.  am personal relieved there weren't a compromise.   

action sequels tend to fail for Gromnir. makers o' such movies seem to believe sequels to action movies need have more action, explosions and more dire consequences for the protagonist.  strikes us as a fundamental flawed pov.  try and create same movie but with More o' everything is doomed. for a sequel to be keeping deadpool's limited scope and tongue-in-cheek humor is a perfect viable approach, but if is functional the same movie but with more fight scenes, more gunpowder and villain who gots slight bigger plans, then am gonna predict, at best, mediocrity. 

even so, we need not take sides.  not got a problem with either the director or the actor.  sure, w/o compromise the studio needed to make a decision, but this don't seem like the kinda choice where one guy needs be wrong. miller vision could work.  reynolds got a good argument for wanting to keep deadpool 2 smallish.  as long as sequel doesn't make typical sequel mistakes, Gromnir could be satisfied with either approach.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well if they went with the director over the actor, that would have a considerably noticeable impact, since you need a new lead actor.  I mean, I guess we don't need to take sides, I just see it as preferable to keep Reynolds involved and playing the role.  I'd usually actually side with the director over an actor, since a good director is often more important than a good actor, but in this case I see it differently given Reynold's role in producing.

Edited by Hurlshot

You guys in the UK go see Dr. Strange and report back post haste!

Sorry fell asleep ten minutes in (i'm getting a bit worried about doing this every time) but Mrs Nonek wasn't impressed, said it seemed a mess in terms of scriptwriting, and that the fantastic elements didn't really make any impact on anything.

Oh and said Mr Mikkelson was wasted.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

As someone who hasn't particularly liked any of the other Marvel films I found it enjoyable. Solid 7 or 8.

I've heard good things, except the same complaint everyone has about every Marvel movie: forgettable villain.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'll see doctor strange in a couple of hours, but the villain is a strange choice, unless you are deliberately setting things up for the sequel. If it pays off, the villain in the sequel could be awesome.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Supposedly the mid credits scene teases the next villain.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The new Jack Reacher film.

A passable adaption of the book, has that similar feel to the first go around in some ways while being quite different. The first Reacher film was more of the slow paced thriller, and this one is more of a run, run, run, solid action type that's a touch more loud and brutal. But it keeps that steady, Jack Reacher implacability atmosphere going.

Cobie Smulders felt both good but underused to me, and it was rather quirky to see Aldiss Hodge do the leap from geek in Leverage to bulky military police guy in this one.

What was kind of interesting was how the trouble Reacher was in was more the point of the film then the actual villains. The bad guys had very little screen time as such. Or rather, the deadly henchman had a batch of screen time in chasing the good guys, but he was much more of the walking weapon type rather than a person/villain in his own right (in fact, he doesn't even get a name in the entire course of the film).

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."