Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

I really liked John Dies at the end.

Ditto on this, felt more original than American Ultra which had played out ideas and fumbled on the presentation. The whole film could had been better had we not been explained what was going on.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Re-watched Odd Thomas.  A very good adaption of a book, and a whole heap of well done performances for that quirky story. The ending of it always pulls the heart strings.

Now with the added reminder that 2016 has been a really sucky year since we'll no longer see how far Anton Yelchin would have gone.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

seen warcraft movie - mediocre, whole thing seems rushed, as it would be story for at least two movies, characters were developing awfully quickly and a lot of moments didnt make much sense

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Turbo Kid.

It was great.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Remember, it's not football season. It's Halloween season.

But still, agreements, disagreements, alternate suggestions?

14199268_10154546808617193_3077671989109

ed wood

to kill a mockingbird

song of the sea

kramer v. kramer

arsenic and old lace

paranorman

and of course, showgirls.

all set around halloween.  am a particular fan o' paranorman.  the soundtrack for paranorman is also one o' our current favorites, regardless o' the holiday theme and/or setting.

HA! Good Fun!

edit: changed mind on video... went short. apologies

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Now I wanna see Paranorman again. LAIKA is just knocking it out of the park over and over. I feel like they're the new Ghibli or Pixar. Trying to find a theatre that will show their new flick in the original language instead of horribly dubbed to dutch, because I want to see it so bad.

Now I wanna see Paranorman again. LAIKA is just knocking it out of the park over and over. I feel like they're the new Ghibli or Pixar. Trying to find a theatre that will show their new flick in the original language instead of horribly dubbed to dutch, because I want to see it so bad.

am also planning on seeing their new release.  is odd for us 'cause is not the kinda film we take a date to, and most o' our friends with whom we see movies ain't fans o' animated.  might have to go solo, which always feels strange.

HA! Good Fun!

ps will also observe that we much enjoy cartoon saloon's work.  the secret of the kells and song of the sea both got narrative flaws, but is wonderfully animated. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Psycho

The Birds

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

The Thing

Rosemary's Baby

Village of the Damned

The Fog

The Witchfinder General

Hellraiser

Night of the Living dead

Alien

and

Shaun of the Dead

all should be on that list ...... (and probably several more as well)

Edited by kgambit

Remember, it's not football season. It's Halloween season.

But still, agreements, disagreements, alternate suggestions?

14199268_10154546808617193_3077671989109

Who is this list aimed at?  Are there really that many people who'll watch Twitches and then Evil Dead and think "Yeah, that was a completely satisfying double bill"?

Why is it "32. Chucky" instead of "32. Child's Play"?  None of the films in the series were called "Chucky".

Halloween, House on Haunted Hill, Amityville Horror, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead - original or remake?  The list doesn't indicate.

So here's some I've seen and enjoyed, in no particular order:

• The Mummy (1932)
  • The Innocents (1962)
  • The Haunting (1963)
  • Nightbreed
  • Psycho (1960)
  • The Others (2001)
  • The Thing (1981)
  • Prince of Darkness
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
  • Messiah of Evil
  • Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  • The Mummy's Hand
  • Evil Dead (1981)
  • Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (1987)
  • Army of Darkness (1992)
  • Bubba-Ho-Tep
  • The Blob (1958)
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
  • The Witch (2016)
  • Insidious
  • The Ring
  • Ringu (The RIng)
  • The Grudge
  • Hausu (1977) (House)
  • The Abominable Dr. Phibes
  • Dr. Phibes Rises Again
  • Videodrome
  • The Fly (1986)
  • The Whisperer in the Darkness
  • Pirhana (1978)
  • Die Farbe (2010) (The Colour)
  • Scream and Scream Again
  • The Haunted Palace (1963)
  • Re-Animator
  • From Beyond
  • The Wolfman (1940)
  • Masque of the Red Death (1963)
  • Spider Baby
  • Phenomena
  • Schock (1977) (Shock)
  • The Beast Must Die!
  • Frankenstein (1931)
  • Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
  • The Exorcist
  • Paura nella città dei morti viventi (City of the Living Dead)
  • L'aldila (The Beyond)
  • Quella villa accanto al cimitero (House By the Cemetery)
  • Dèmoni (Demons)
  • Noroi no yakata-Chi o su me (Lake of Dracula)
  • Chi o suu bara (Evil of Dracula)
  • Insidious
  • The Conjuring
  • Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
  • Halloween (1978)
  • Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
  • Alien
  • Night of the Hunter (1955)
  • Frogs
  • Phase IV
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • House of Wax (1953)
  • House on Haunted Hill (1959)
  • Homicidal (1961)
  • Puppet Master
  • Puppet Master II
  • Trick 'r Treat
  • Fright Night (1985)
  • The Birds
  • Hellraiser
  • Island of Terror
  • Kyuketsuki Gokemidoro (Goke, The Body Snatcher from Hell)
  • Grizzly (1976)
  • Jaws (1976)
  • Prophecy (1979)
  • The Shining (1980)
  • Abby Rose
  • Sugar Hill (1974)
  • Bones (2001)
  • Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
  • Two on a Guillotine
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • Wolfen
  • The Howling
  • Poltergeist (1982)
  • Candyman
  • Lord of Illusion
  • Eyes of Fire (1983)
  • Day of the Animals
  • The Black Sleep (1956)
  • It Follows
  • 28 Days Later...
  • The House of the Devil
  • Amityville Horror (1979)
  • The Dunwich Horror (1970)
  • It's Alive (1974)
  • Ginger Snaps
  • El espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
  • Ju-On: The Grudge
  • Uzumaki
  • Macabre (1958)
  • The Burrowers
  • Marebito
  • The Last Excorcism
  • What Lies Beneath
Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's a weird list.  The first 25 seem geared toward younger audiences.

am not thinking the list is a ranking, and yeah, first 1/2 is clear avoiding the genuine horror flicks... though am not sure how to deal with practical magic as it ain't a kid's movie neither.  

am gonna stay with halloween specific as the theme, as 'posed to horror, and note that we forgot et.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Colin Firth on Harry Hart return surprise in Kingsman 2

Most fans were quite shocked when, towards the end of last year's surprise hit Kingsman: The Secret Service, Colin Firth's character Harry Hart was killed off by the villainous Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson). Once talk of a sequel started to surface, director Mark Millar teased that he may find a way for Colin Firth to return, and it was confirmed that he will come back through a cryptic poster, along with new photos from the set. Today we have new details from Colin Firth himself, who offered some very subtle hints about his return.

Collider caught up with the actor, who was promoting his new romantic comedy Bridget Jones' Baby, in theaters September 16. Last month, Colin Firth was seen in his Harry Hart costume in a photo from the set from Pedro Pascal, but details about Harry's return have been kept close to the vest. The actor wouldn't say exactly how his character came back from the dead, but he did tease that this will not be a traditional sequel.

"Well, it's still my duty to be cryptic about that, so forgive me in being creative in how I dodge that question. It's no secret that I'm involved, somewhere and somehow. From what I've been able to gather, it's not going to feel like a conventional sequel. It's going to be something that feels very much its own thing. I'm very optimistic about it. I can't give too much away about in what capacity I'm back. A lot of people have speculated and a lot of people have come to the wrong conclusions about it. I want to keep the surprise alive, a little longer. I think they're going to be surprised again."

Kingsman: The Golden Circle reportedly centers on Eggsy (Taron Egerton) and Merlin (Mark Strong) visiting the U.S., where they meet Halle Berry's character and a "swaggering, sharpshooting cowboy" called Jack Daniels, who is believed to be Pedro Pascal's character. It has also been teased that the U.S. version of Kingsman is an organization known as the Statesmen, while we saw concept art of Julianne Moore's villainous lair, known as Poppyland. Director Matthew Vaughn previously teased that the sequel will involve a skiing sequence, a barroom brawl, robot dogs, one-armed henchmen and a sequence where the protagonists have to fend off "a massive f***ing frankfurter.

The cast also includes Channing Tatum, Sir Elton John, Jeff Bridges and Vinnie Jones. Matthew Vaughn is directing from a script he co-wrote with longtime collaborator Jane Goldman, whom he co-wrote Kick-Ass, Stardust and X-Men: First Class with, to name a few. 20th Century Fox has set a June 16, 2017 release date for this sequel, going up against Disney Pixar's Cars 3. It isn't known when the first trailer may arrive, but hopefully we'll get to see the first footage from Kingsman: The Golden Circle soon.

• Like 2