Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Heh, an interesting look at the film and the things going on in it.

Tor - Jupiter Ascending

I really enjoyed the movie. I'm a fan of Space Opera and didn't really care about the little inconsistencies because rule of cool.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It was a fun movie in its own way. gloriously silly and over the top. But that can work quite well for space opera.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched Batman vs. Superman. Was an ok movie, I think. Don't get why people were hating on that movie so hard. It's not the best, not the worst, certainly better than other recent super hero movies that I've seen.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Watched Batman vs. Superman. Was an ok movie, I think. Don't get why people were hating on that movie so hard. It's not the best, not the worst, certainly better than other recent super hero movies that I've seen.

People don't like Dark Superman. Didn't like Batman murdering people, Lex Luthor was terrible, the reason for Batman and Superman fighting was dumb, and their reason for becoming buds was bad too.

Those were my major gripes.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, Lex Luthor feels a bit like a poor man's Joker. He acts like a lunatic, which makes it hard to believe other people around take him serious.

I thought the Batman parts were p.cool though. A little bit of a more or less realistic approach. Same for Superman. Only Wonder Woman really had no need to be in the movie, imo.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Only Wonder Woman really had no need to be in the movie, imo.

I'm sorry, this is factually incorrect and you're a doo-doo head for thinking it.

Why? She had like 3 minutes screentime or something and then beat up a big bad guy?

Only Wonder Woman really had no need to be in the movie, imo.

I'm sorry, this is factually incorrect and you're a doo-doo head for thinking it.

Why? She had like 3 minutes screentime or something and then beat up a big bad guy?

manifested likes that gal gadot is pretty.  

to be fair, amy adams is kinda cute, but hardly hawt.  for an enormous actiony blockbuster, it is typical that there will be at least one female star who is making adolescent boys marginally uncomfortable with their new and inexplicable feelings. without gadot...

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not at all. I mean she is, but it's Diana I'm gaga for, not Gal exactly. I was just playing, WW is a personal favorite character.

we also like ww, which were one o' the disappoints we had with BvS. we knew before seeing BvS that ww would get almost no screen time, nevertheless, the manner in which ww were utilized in the film felt forced and clumsy.

hopefully the ww stand-alone flick is decent... though am understanding that filming actual ended earlier this year, so is no time for gadot to get in a little more gym work.  

*sigh*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I know we had a locked thread about it, but I am getting pretty tired of hearing how bad Ghostbusters movie is. It isn't even out yet. Everybody just relax. It isn't a sacred cow, it is just a comedy and it will be funny or it will not.

• Like 1

It's ****. But it doesn't matter.  It'll be like other ****ty movies - get great reviews and make tons of money. *shrug*

I've already read reviews that say it is vastly superior to the original in every way and almost eveyr positive review has trashed the original (in order to hype it). But, what do I know? I'm just a sexist pig who hates women. *goes back and watches   premium woman hating films like Alien, Scream, and Hunger Games*

On to more important topics...

Tarzan - Entertaining for the most part. Starting it with already living his life in Britian ruins, to me, the whole point of the Tarzan mythology.  It simply adds nothing and is one of those movies that will be forgotten as soon as it ends. 6/10

The BGF - Eh. Watchable. But, again? What is the point of it? 5/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I know we had a locked thread about it, but I am getting pretty tired of hearing how bad Ghostbusters movie is. It isn't even out yet. Everybody just relax. It isn't a sacred cow, it is just a comedy and it will be funny or it will not.

It actually has made slightly curious about the movie. Could it really be that bad? Maybe I should go and watch it. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Would love if Guy Pearce is in it so that we can have a movie with a female actor named Gal and male actor named Guy

I'm obviously easily amused

I've always wanted to see a movie staring Keith David and David Keith.

Just think of it, you could do the billing like:

KEITH DAVID

DAVID KEITH

And it works anyway to read it!

*ahem*

Anyhow the likelihood of that match-up happening dims every year, so I'll go for a Gal-Guy Film.

Tarzan - Entertaining for the most part. Starting it with already living his life in Britian ruins, to me, the whole point of the Tarzan mythology. It simply adds nothing and is one of those movies that will be forgotten as soon as it ends. 6/10

Tarzan always goes back to England as part of his origin story. This story was about why he decides to go back to Africa (where almost all of the later books happened).

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It actually has made slightly curious about the movie. Could it really be that bad? Maybe I should go and watch it. 

There have been a lot of bad comedies made in the last decade, I don't remember there ever being such a stink about it.  Hangover 3 never made me laugh, the most recent National Lampoon's Vacation was a bomb.  I also don't remember people freaking out when Will Farrell desecrated I Dream of Genie.  The vitriol is way out of iine.  Also, all these reviews were popping up before the embargo was lifted, so that means 1 of 2 things:

1.  The review is BS and based on trailers.

2.  The reviewer is willing to risk their status as a person who gets early copies just to 'expose' this comedy. 

We can safely disregard 1, but even 2 seems a bit sketchy.  This isn't some powerful civil rights movie or a documentary on a major moment in history.  It's a comedy about hunting ghosts.

I'm willing to say that so far the trailers haven't impressed me much. But I see no point in hating it until I've actually seen the whole thing. But as I say, with the trailers not impressing me, that'll probably be when it turns up on dvd or cable.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

much as with computer games, Gromnir has difficulty becoming enthusiastic 'bout more than one or two movie titles a year.  oh sure, after a movie is released and word o' mouth from folks who share our refined sense o' style and taste (jk) leads us to believe that we will also enjoy the movie, then we, perhaps, become... less indifferent?  dunno, we do follow a bit o' news for select movies, but am suspecting we do so in large part to validate our natural tendency to be dismissive.

ghostbusters reboot? cast includes the nails-on-the-chalkboard annoying melissa mccarthy? we haven't watched snl regular for +15 years, so half o' the cast is gonna be more than a little unfamiliar to us. 

*shrug*

this one ain't one o' the two titles for 2016 that is exciting us... and given all the problems we has heard that rogue one is facing, we can reduce to one. 

as to the vitriol the ghostbusters movie is inspiring, am admitting bafflement.  when we heard adam sandler, of all people, were gonna reboot the longest yard with himself staring as paul crewe, we were momentarily dumbstruck. weren't the reboot aspect that bothered us but rather that adam sandler were thinking he could replace burt reynolds, who were an all-american rb at florida state and pretty much the walking definition for 1970s macho-cool, in the role.  sandler as caretaker or unger woulda' made sense to us, but paul crewe?  we never saw the new longest yard, and we didn't give it much thought after our initial surprise.  dunno. did the longest yard inspire the kinda hate that ghostbusters seems to be?  if not, then why not?

new ghostbusters. meh. until the movie is released and particular folks we know speak to its quality, or lack thereof, we will continue to have little interest in the title.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

The vitriol is way out of iine.

Sadly, I'd argue the vitrol is on par with the modern echo-conversations of "social media" as people try to one-up each other by describing how something they've never seen and probably never will has ruined their life and/or represents all that is bad about western civilization.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"There have been a lot of bad comedies made in the last decade, I don't remember there ever being such a stink about it."

The problem is the reaction to the initial negativity is why it became such a huge deal. Most of ther time when a  trailer gets bashed the company/people involved don't go around bashing and stereotyping everyone over it.

"The vitriol is way out of iine."

No and yes. The people saying it sucks aren't out of line. The people claiming that everyone who dislikes the trailer is a sexst man child rapist monster woman hating garbage are out of line. But, what do I know. 8shrug* I'm one of those evil sexist manboons. *goes to watch Alien, HG, and Scream* LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2. I loved the first one, this one felt like a direct to video sequel. Had some good jokes that made me lol a few times, but overall was not good.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"There have been a lot of bad comedies made in the last decade, I don't remember there ever being such a stink about it."

The problem is the reaction to the initial negativity is why it became such a huge deal. Most of ther time when a  trailer gets bashed the company/people involved don't go around bashing and stereotyping everyone over it.

"The vitriol is way out of iine."

No and yes. The people saying it sucks aren't out of line. The people claiming that everyone who dislikes the trailer is a sexst man child rapist monster woman hating garbage are out of line. But, what do I know. 8shrug* I'm one of those evil sexist manboons. *goes to watch Alien, HG, and Scream* LMAO

But Volo he does have a point

For me it was Game of Thrones latest thread, you guys over-analyzed that series like nothing I have ever seen 

Sometimes in life its best just to not find intentional fault for no reason that makes sense 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ghostbusters. Someone else described it as the second best Ghostbusters movie. I can agree with that enthusiastically.

I really liked it. Had quite a few laughs and was overall impressed with it.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."