Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

How do you take the brooding Batman seriously after that?

such characters is not always meant to be taken serious, but they is still our favorites when we reflect 'pon the pantheon o' superheroes. admittedly, movies is often unkind to the brooding and introspective as it can come off as cartoonish.  is perhaps why such characters work so well in cartoons.

nicholas cage were also excellent in kick-a$$ and am suspecting many folks hardly recall liam neeson in darkman, which is a shame.

as far as non-print media is concerned, batman is our easy all-time favorite.  the  oldie batman: the animated series, batman beyond, justice league, justice league unlimited, and at least a few o' the dc animated movies were excellent, in large part 'cause o' batman.

am also admitting that we liked the tim burton batman as well as well as the first two christopher nolan contributions.  in fact, we would likely rank the dark knight as our top superhero movie to date. 

so far, deadpool has 'bout 2/3 of a movie we enjoyed.  

am suspecting that it is gonna be a long time before we place deadpool at the top o' our list o' favorite superhero film characters.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I snuck into Darkman as a young boy, and have been in love with the work of Sam Raimi ever since. When I discovered Evil Dead a few years later as a teenager, I remember thinking "of course this was the guy behind Darkman. It felt familiar.

Darkman was fun.  Mind you I liked DC's The Unknown Soldier who has almost the exact same MO as Darkman, so I was already set for the film.

Interesting trivia: Darkman came about because Raimi couldn't secure the rights to do a film for The Shadow (now doing a Shadow film is something Raimi has been attached to for 6-7 years now with no real movement that I can see). 

(As a Raimi side-note, I saw CrimeWave recently - not as bad as its reputation, but certainly a flawed/compromised film.  Still worth checking out if you're a Raimi fan, IMO, though).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I snuck into Darkman as a young boy, and have been in love with the work of Sam Raimi ever since. When I discovered Evil Dead a few years later as a teenager, I remember thinking "of course this was the guy behind Darkman. It felt familiar.

makes us feel old. we had already completed our undergrad degree at berkeley when we saw darkman.  apologies for the moment o' geriatric reflection.

to bring back on-topic, we will note that while the raimi spider-man films were lite on those qualities for which raimi is best known, spider-man 2 is clear in our top 5 superhero movies... most days it is gonna be top 3.   in the sequel to spider-man (2002?), peter parker managed to grow as a character, and alfred molina's performance were superlative worthy. the 'raimi moment' in spider-man 2 when a surgery team attempted to remove doc ock's prosthetic arms were one o' the most memorable scenes from a superhero flick-- can't help but chuckle at the recollection. 

spider-man 3 were a tremendous letdown for Gromnir. am thinking that what made the final raimi spider-man so disappointing were that the impressive thomas hayden church performance were wasted.  

regardless, while it is still difficult for us to think o' raimi as a superhero movie director, he gots a couple movies in our personal List of the Best Superhero Movies.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Roland Emmerich is rebooting the Stargate Universe

We’ve known that Roland Emmerich has been planning on continuing his 1994 film Stargate for a while, but while chatting with the press about Independence Day: Resurgence, he and producer Dean Devlin have been dropping some more hints about what’s next for the franchise.

The pair have long talked about how the first film was conceived of as a trilogy, and according to Variety, they’re working on the next film:

Now the duo are in active development on a reboot movie being produced by MGM and Warner Bros.. The film is being penned by "Resurgence" writers James A. Woods and Nicolas Wright, and is intended to kickstart the franchise that Emmerich and Devlin always hoped to create.

Interestingly, Devlin also says that the new film likely isn’t going to be a direct sequel to the original film: they’re going to go back to the beginning and start over.

"It’s not a story that can take place 20 years later. So the only way to really tell that trilogy is to go back from the beginning and start the story all over again."

This makes it appear as though the project will really remake the original film, starting with the discovery of the gate and the secret mission that travels out to an alien world. The movie was followed by 1997's Showtime series Stargate SG-1, which went on to include two additional shows, cumulatively running for over three hundred episodes.

Despite Emmerich noting that there could be elements of the film’s television sequel in the new film, Devlin said that they’ll be side-stepping the television universe:

Now that the pair are back on board, the franchise will sidestep the continuity of the series, but not because of sour grapes, Devlin insists.

"It was taken away from us, and it’s tough to have your children raised by other parents, even if they do a very good job. … For us, it’s not putting down what has been done. It’s to let us finish telling our story."

Rebooting the original Stargate makes some amount of sense, even in an environment where reboots have become popular for aging science fiction films. Stargate never quite had the same stature as that of its companions, Star Trek or Alien, and its following is largely tied up with the Stargate television franchise.

It’ll be sad to see the universe steer away from Stargate SG-1, because of the sheer size of what the SciFi Channel accomplished: growing an enormous television franchise from a single film. The depth of the world and its characters is going to be incredibly difficult to surpass.

On the other hand, starting the story from the beginning could be a good way to restart the entire universe, and provide some continuity of actors and give the entire franchise a fresh group of faces from which to rebuild.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Huh, can't say it doesn't chafe me a bit that they are disregarding all the TV stuff.

Especially since SG1 was better than the movie for, like, 6 seasons.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Roland Emmerich is rebooting the Stargate Universe

The pair have long talked about how the first film was conceived of as a trilogy,

Yes, yes, of course it was. Especially now, when everyone and their dog is releasing remakes of old movies in a trilogy package... :>

I don't mind them ignoring the tv show. What I always hated in the tv show was the lack of egypt-style coolness from the original movie.

stargatemovie_07.jpg

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

we watched a few stargate tv episodes with mcgyver staring in 'em. meh.  the movie, with the 'girl' from the crying game and the computer who wore tennis shoes weren't much better. am not a stargate fan, so we got no horse in this race.  that being said, we thinks ditching the tv show lore is a good idea, particular if your intent is to bring back professor daniel jackson, but no longer a milquetoast. have movies all 'bout prof. jackson subverting and neutralizing alien cultures. have an older and more cynical david spader channel his black list and ultron work.  now that sounds fun.

go heavy on drones to do reconnaissance and wet work.  at the very least you get gifted to go see.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I watched The Martian on HBO. I loved it. I loved the book, loved the movie. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Saw Warcraft. Odd it didn't end with Azeroth overrun and Lothar fleeing to Lordaeron. I felt like that would have been a better place to end it. Overall I really liked it though. Some of the costumes were cheese and I felt some of the sets were too clean, but overall I liked how well they translated the Warcraft aesthetic.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Have to see that in 3D unfortunately, no feasible theaters for my friends and I to see it. Never seen a 3D movie, wonder how well it'll play with my glasses.

Saw Zootopia at long last, was somewhat enjoyable and funny even with the usual kid movie silliness. Found the message a lot more subtle than Crash's :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Jurassic World, I actually quite enjoyed it, but there was a lot of stupid. My daughter was quite upset at the deaths of the Raptors.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I liked that they lampshaded the whole Raptors have feathers thing by saying by filling the holes in their DNA with other reptiles they may look different.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Saw Warcraft. Was alright, definite pacing issues. But not the worst film I've seen. 3D was not worth the hassle of those glasses though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Saw the latest X Man film with Mrs Nonek, the one with the Egyptian god chap, quite a nice action movie, the usual silly simmer fluff but very well executed. I still can't understand why on Earth they replaced Rebecca Romijn with the young charisma vacuum who now plays Mystique.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Saw the latest X Man film with Mrs Nonek, the one with the Egyptian god chap, quite a nice action movie, the usual silly simmer fluff but very well executed. I still can't understand why on Earth they replaced Rebecca Romijn with the young charisma vacuum who now plays Mystique.

Rebecca Romijn couldn't pass for a teenager. My issue with her isn't the lack of charisma, its that she is adorable. No matter what they do, she doesn't come off as threatening.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The 'charisma vaccum' is one of the most popular actresses OR sctors in the business. Your definition of 'charisma vaccum' is ignorant.

Independence Day 2 - Watchable. Nowhere near as good as the original. The younger actors were failures as replacements and even the returnees were nowhere near as good as before., This was no passion project to be sure. Some of the set pieces were good but... ugh. 5/10

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Independence Day 2 - Watchable. Nowhere near as good as the original. The younger actors were failures as replacements and even the returnees were nowhere near as good as before., This was no passion project to be sure. Some of the set pieces were good but... ugh. 5/10

Just saw this. Would agree with this except I'd give it 6/10

Free games updated 3/4/21

The Shallows (2016) - Nice "killer shark" thriller.  Well done.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man