Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Old Thread.

Saw Genysis on Netflix, better than 3 at least - and, on it's own, a 'good enough' action movie. But not really that great in the context of the franchise.

Props for the many creative uses and destructions of Terminators though.

X-Men: Apocalypse.

Could have been better; it's not bad, but I think it tries to juggle too many story lines and so I think it could have focused the story better. Not the best X-men film, but not the worst either.

Well, 'not the worst' is good enough. I'll see it Tuesday, double feature with Civil War, food and libations between shows, kinda excited. 

Nashville (1975)

Altman was pretty much the only american director who could make a movie about people, at a place, at a certain time. After watching "Nashville", I am thoroughly convinced that there are no contemporary american directors capable of the same level of genius. Wes Andersson and Paul Thomas Andersson have still much to learn.

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Jacob's Ladder, since Paramount put it up on YouTube. It's an O.K. film. Both Macaulay Culkin and Jason Alexander (George Costanza) are really distracting anytime they're on the screen, though...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

WarCraft was very, very okay. Not sure why it's rated so low on Rotten Tomatoes so far. Should be about 60%. Very ambitious but falls short. The orc stuff feels like it's trying to be sweeping, epic fantasy with a heart when the human stuff is more... 80's fantasy flick. Doesn't mesh great. It's a collection of scenes of which some are absolutely fantastic and some are just silly and bad. Biggest misstep is Lothar's casting - Travis Fimmel's Lothar is entirely unlikeable and I felt myself rooting for the CG Orcs much more than the humans because of that.

WarCraft was very, very okay. Not sure why it's rated so low on Rotten Tomatoes so far. Should be about 60%. Very ambitious but falls short. The orc stuff feels like it's trying to be sweeping, epic fantasy with a heart when the human stuff is more... 80's fantasy flick. Doesn't mesh great. It's a collection of scenes of which some are absolutely fantastic and some are just silly and bad. Biggest misstep is Lothar's casting - Travis Fimmel's Lothar is entirely unlikeable and I felt myself rooting for the CG Orcs much more than the humans because of that.

I don't remember Lothar being all that likeable anyway

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies  -  Jane Austen meets The Walking Dead.  Actually a lot of fun.

As an enthusiast of Jane Austen movies and mini-series, how hard am I going to fall for this?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I don't remember Lothar being all that likeable anyway

Not really much to Lothar other than his character having an iron will to keep the fight going after his kingdom burns to the ground.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies  -  Jane Austen meets The Walking Dead.  Actually a lot of fun.

As an enthusiast of Jane Austen movies and mini-series, how hard am I going to fall for this?

:biggrin:   It's a campy blend of two totally different genres.   Just go with it.  :biggrin:   My wife loves Jane Austen and thought this was silly but fun.  

• Like 1

X Men: Apoloapsy:  Solid entertainment but could been better.  Some major issues hurt its ratings though. First off, the cheesy 'speedster' time loop nonsense and the  climax was so paint by numbers and could be seen a mile away. 7/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen meets The Walking Dead. Actually a lot of fun.

:biggrin: It's a campy blend of two totally different genres. Just go with it. :biggrin: My wife loves Jane Austen and thought this was silly but fun.

Did they treat it like an apocalypse, or just treated zombies like part of everyday life like in the book? Part of the charm of the book was how the zombie apocalypse was kinda second fiddle to aristocratic affairs.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Jane Austen meets The Walking Dead. Actually a lot of fun.

:biggrin: It's a campy blend of two totally different genres. Just go with it. :biggrin: My wife loves Jane Austen and thought this was silly but fun.

Did they treat it like an apocalypse, or just treated zombies like part of everyday life like in the book? Part of the charm of the book was how the zombie apocalypse was kinda second fiddle to aristocratic affairs.

More the latter. 

For example, Darcy has to deal with a hidden zombie at a whist game, Bingham's sister looks down her nose at Elizabeth because she got her martial arts training in China and not Japan and there's a zombies at Ball fight scene.    And Mrs Bennett's primary concern is still finding suitable husbands for her daughters.    

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

Momentum. Nice little action flick. Girlfriend was happy with a female lead kicking arse and I get to watch an action movie.

And James Purefoy gets to delivery some wonderfully snarky lines as a bad guy in it.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

More the latter. 

For example, Darcy has to deal with a hidden zombie at a whist game, Bingham's sister looks down her nose at Elizabeth because she got her martial arts training in China and not Japan and there's a zombies at Ball fight scene.    And Mrs Bennett's primary concern is still finding suitable husbands for her daughters.    

Ok. I'll definitely have to check it out.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Huh.

Theo James Replaces Daniel Craig as James Bond

Jun 4, 2016

Following weeks of speculation, 'Divergent' star Theo James has been confirmed as the replacement for Daniel Craig in the role of James Bond. James beat out the likes of Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba and Tom Hardy for the coveted role.

As recently as Friday morning another name was added to the mix - Emilia Clarke, Daenerys Targaryen in HBO's 'Game of Thrones'.

The actress told The Daily Star about her dream to put a fresh twist on the role, "I have a lot of [unrealized] dreams. I would love to play Jane Bond [female version of James Bond]. My ultimate leading man would be Leonardo DiCaprio. No doubt about it."

While the part of James, or Jane, Bond has been cast, the new rumor surrounding Clarke is that she could land a role as a different sort of 'Bond Girl' - a villain.

Many fans of the franchise are unhappy with the choice to go with James saying he is too young to be issued a 'license to kill'. At 31 James is only a year younger than Sean Connery was when he starred in 1962's 'Dr. No' and George Lazenby was just 30 when he played Bond for the one and only time in 1969's 'Her Majesty's Secret Service'.

However recent actors in the role have more seasoning than the young James. Daniel Craig just left the franchise after last year's 'Spectre' at age 47 and the two men to play 007 before him, Pierce Brosnan and Timothy Dalton were 49 and 43 respectively when their final Bond films were released.

Age aside, James' acting resume is unimpressive. A pair of failed TV shows ('Golden Boy' and 'Bedlam') and a handful of tween-targeted movies are the only meaningful roles he can lay claim to. While the 'Divergent' series has been wildly successful at the box office, it's simply riding the coat-tails of the popular 'Twilight' and 'Hunger Games' franchises - movies based on books targeted to young girls, the exact opposite demographic of the James Bond audience.

While it's not clear if Theo James will end up being the next George Lazenby, he is definitely going to have to show audiences a side of him they've never seen before if he wants to be, at least, the next Timothy Dalton.

Pre-production for the next James Bond movie, the 25th in the series, will start in August and James will reportedly begin filming in September.

He is alright but his Divergent character doesn't give him much room for Bonds type. The character did have some depth to it espciially in terms of realting to both his parents. But, this is why he's an actor. To play DIFFERENT roles.

My worry is they picked  a white male actor who doesn't have a lot of    positve critic power so his version of Bond will bombs giving them an excuse/an opening to go  with a woman or a minority. (Idris Elba would be a good choice imo if they went that way or Will Smith) but the way I sus0-ect they are going about it are espciailly underhanded. L0L

If you want a black Bond just do it. And, there are more than a few actress that can pull of a Bond type. Though my point is why not make a  spy thriller starring a woman instead of just calling her Jane Bond.  So lame and so uncreative.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Idris Elba sounded like a great pick.  Tom Hardy would have been interesting.  Best thing I can say about this pick is he seems like a bit of a blank slate, so with good directing it might turn into something.  Although I'm also worried it will be a cheap imitation of the kid who was the lead in The Kingsman.  

478920_017.jpg

Edited by Hurlshot

TMNT Out of the Shadows. Way better than the first. Karai is kinda pointless, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady are pretty much perfect, the turtles aren't supporting characters in their own movie. Overall if you are a ninja turtles fan you should enjoy it.

Elias Koteras' Casey Jones was perfect in the first live action adaption, was not surprised Stephen Amell didn't live up to it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Idris would make a good Bond, but he would have worked better 5 years or so ago. I think he's generally considered too "old" to take a position like that on a franchise movie. He's hitting the age where actors have stopped playing Bond, so they'd get him for a film, maybe two, but then they'd be recasting once again. They need to get an actor who can be there for that 5-10 year process of making a handful of films.

I'd like them to take Bond back to the 50's-60's Cold War era.

I'd like them to take Bond back to the 50's-60's Cold War era.

They won't do that, because product placement. Remember, the Bond films practically invented it back in the day.