The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Rosbjerg

I saw this commercial and found it super depressing, so I thought I'd share it:

I went and awkwardly forced my kids to maintain eye contact for awhile afterwards.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Cassini took this picture of the Earth just past Saturn's D1 ring two days ago. Say cheese...

867_PIA21445_figB_zoomed-500w.jpg

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-04-19/silicon-valley-s-400-juicer-may-be-feeling-the-squeeze

The $700 $400 juicer with $120 million venture capitalist funding outdone by a 100lb woman's hand-squeeze.

-999x-999.gif

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Cassini will be by far the most successful planetary mission to date. As much as Galileo accomplished you have to remember it ran it's entire mission with one hand tied behind it's back following the failure of it's high gain antenna prior to arrival at Jupiter. Cassini began with an actual landing of the Huygens lander on Titan. A landing on a moon (other than ours) has never been accomplished. The Soviets tried it with Phobos (or was it Demios I forget) and failed. What an amazing run.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Cassini began with an actual landing of the Huygens lander on Titan. A landing on a moon (other than ours) has never been accomplished. The Soviets tried it with Phobos (or was it Demios I forget) and failed. What an amazing run.

True. That has been always the most interesting thing I've seen right next to the moon landing. It gives us a very life-like picture of a very distant moon that might even harbor simple life.

Amazing.

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Progress in creating the world's first sex robot. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/27/race-to-build-world-first-sex-robot

Someday these things will be commonplace. And occasionally they will go rogue and need to be hunted down. My dream job is closer to being a reality!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Progress in creating the world's first sex robot. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/27/race-to-build-world-first-sex-robot

Someday these things will be commonplace. And occasionally they will go rogue and need to be hunted down. My dream job is closer to being a reality!

for years Gromnir has been accused o' being a sex-bot.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thought this was an interesting TED talk on the Westboro Church. Actually it is more about the way we communicate with each other. I think the "Don't assume bad intent" is pretty dang important. I try to do that here, although it can be difficult. Backing away and thinking about things, and asking questions instead of sniping and accusing can lead to much better discourse. 

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

If this doesn't convince you the government is getting out of control I don't know what will: http://reason.com/blog/2017/04/26/after-challenging-red-light-cameras-oreg

The quote function does not appear to be working right. So in short a man in Oregon is cited by a red light camera. So he began doing some research on his own into how red light cameras work and found some serious flaws. He asked to present these findings to the State Board and rather than hear him he was fined an additional $500 for basically doing math without the permission of the state. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

There's been some issues with IL cameras too. Something like; they are suppose to give you .5 seconds before firing but were only giving .3 seconds...something like that. They threw a bunch of tickets out over it. In my case it was actual video of me casually rolling up, mostly but not completely stopping, then turning right (you can legally turn right on a lot of red lights here but you have to stop first). Costs an even hundo per camera ticket around these parts.

If this doesn't convince you the government is getting out of control I don't know what will: http://reason.com/blog/2017/04/26/after-challenging-red-light-cameras-oreg

The quote function does not appear to be working right. So in short a man in Oregon is cited by a red light camera. So he began doing some research on his own into how red light cameras work and found some serious flaws. He asked to present these findings to the State Board and rather than hear him he was fined an additional $500 for basically doing math without the permission of the state. 

Seems to me reading the article that the $500 dollar fine has less to do with "doing math without permission of the state" and more to do with the fact that the state has determined - through their license board - that the only people who can call themselves engineers are those who are officially dues paying engineer license holders in the state.

Someone could do all the math they want, they just couldn't represent themselves as an 'engineer' in doing so unless they were an engineering license holder.  This may also be an issue, but its a different kind of issue, I think.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Raw documentary stock footage from ~1977 on comic books in the US:

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

:wub:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Seems to me reading the article that the $500 dollar fine has less to do with "doing math without permission of the state" and more to do with the fact that the state has determined - through their license board - that the only people who can call themselves engineers are those who are officially dues paying engineer license holders in the state.

Someone could do all the math they want, they just couldn't represent themselves as an 'engineer' in doing so unless they were an engineering license holder.  This may also be an issue, but its a different kind of issue, I think.

If the article is correct, he's fined for this: "practicing engineering without being registered." It's true some states (like Texas) have laws that you can't call yourself an engineer without being registered (a professional engineer), but I've never heard about "practicing engineering". All Oregon tech firms would have to shut down if they start enforcing this, as very few engineers are registered as it requires a very tough exam which is completely useless for most engineering positions.

A woman is murdered over an insult parrot: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/05/04/woman-killed-by-neighbor-after-allegedly-training-pet-parrot-to-insult-him.html

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan