The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Rosbjerg

Well... I'm glad THAT has been cleared up!  :lol:

one reason it is so difficult to take trump serious when he complains 'bout fake news

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/donald-trump-and-the-amazing-alex-jones

"Even after Trump (and Sean Hannity, of Fox News) fell victim to a joke—a parody news story “reporting” that two hundred and fifty thousand Syrian refugees would be settled on U.S. Indian reservations—he continued to repeat the bogus figure for months. (He knew better than to touch, from the same Web site, “Trump: I Would Have Prevented the Asteroid from Killing the Dinosaurs.”) His appetite for facts appears to be tiny."

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

President (jeez i still can't believe it) Trump and Presdident Obama have on thing in common; they are both Post Turtles. 

In case you don't know what that is:

2870893211_3458f8566e_z.jpg

He doesn't know how he got there. He doesn't know what to do now that he is there. He doesn't belong there. Nothing good will come of him being there.

Well, we did get a decent Supreme Court Justice out of Trump. That's more then we got from Obama. Still a post turtle though. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That photographer isn't helping the turtle. Why is that?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have a deep love of some weird, some may say irrational, things, one of which is the names store brands use for their generic knock-offs of popular brands.  I may have just found a new favorite:

qfhSEDF.jpg

An an aside, I can attest to the smooth flavor.

CbCDdZRUEAACLpw.jpg

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It represents the Media. Duh. :p

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir got my obscure reference at least.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/in-attempt-to-achieve-youtube-stardom-woman-accidentally-kills-her-boyfriend/

ccording to court documents, Monalisa Perez called 911 on June 26 at around 6:30pm local time to say that she had shot Pedro Ruiz III. The two had set up two video cameras to capture Perez firing the gun at Ruiz while he held a book in front of his chest. Ruiz apparently convinced Perez that the book would stop the bullet from a foot away. The gun, a Desert Eagle .50 caliber pistol, was not hindered by the book.

Darwin Award, I guess.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Gromnir got my obscure reference at least.

:lol:  In any other company the reference might have been obscure. On this board? No. I think everyone got it!

Edit: It was funny though.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I got 10 out of 11. But I call BS on that. A killer whale is a mammal but it is not a whale. A coyote is a canid but it isn't a dog and a

hot dog is a hot dog.... NOT A SANDWICH!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

It's getting to the point I wouldn't be enormously surprised if Maduro pulled a Galtieri and had his military invade the ABC Islands to rally public support.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

A small but significant number of men have dropped out of the workforce entirely to play video games

Oh nosss, the robopocalypse is upon us and it comes with DLC.

I wouldn't mind dropping out of the workforce to play video games (or do anything else than work, for that matter), but there is this issue of having to pay bills and feed myself. 

feels.png

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/your-revolution-was-dumb-and-it-filled-us-with-refugees-a-canadian-take-on-the-american-revolutionary-war/wcm/b8a6b815-25de-4ea6-be42-a7af9d0323ed

Probably will get a laugh out of some. Canadian take on the American Revolution (even if it is from the NP)

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

The real-life Xenia Onatopp:

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

19642274_10155506097775746_7568421779078

I'm sorry but I been radicalized enough that I don't care what rich people tell me about anything. I just default to "**** you're rich, what the **** do you know?".

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You know Orogun, a lot of rich people did not come into this world rich. They got that way through a confuence of intelligence, hard work, and making the most of opportunities that presented themselves. Perhaps folks like that should be listened to. 

Thomas Sowell

Huh? As far as I recall, the vast majority of top 500 had inherited their wealth. Sure, there are some people that manage to claw their way up, but they're the exception not the rule.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Depends on what you call rich I guess. If you are talking about billions it hard to make that kind of money in one lifetime. I've known people with a net worth over $1M and not a pot to piss in. One of my former business partners was in that boat. He could barely afford his mortgage but his total net worth made him a millionare. It's a subjective standard.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Depends on what you call rich I guess. If you are talking about billions it hard to make that kind of money in one lifetime. I've known people with a net worth over $1M and not a pot to piss in. One of my former business partners was in that boat. He could barely afford his mortgage but his total net worth made him a millionare. It's a subjective standard.

Nah, even start ups need to have some capital to cover the operating costs before they manage to produce anything. The notion that the guy working at a supermarket can just save enough money and then quit his job to start a business and that it will make him a millionaire is nonsense. At best they end up owning a store or food place, which it will take them years to develop into a franchise only to be bought out by one of the major players or to keep competing across multiple generations(and that its how it should work up to a point). Meanwhile some rich guy is able to use both his capital and connections to grow a business in less than a decade and he gets praised for it, never mind that his only contribution was to have the capital and the connection and nothing more.

So with all that in mind, please forgive me if I take what rich people say with a big heap of salt as I know my situation is way too different to what they started with.

Also, what's your friend lifestyle like? is he good with money or is he wasteful? In short, what's the reason for his current predicament? Because I find the whole thing weird; not impossible, just a bit hard to swallow without some context.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

While having capital and connections makes things vastly easier, that guy working in the supermarket still has the opportunity to start a business and become a millionaire. The odds are obviously going to be stacked against him, but hard work and a good business plan will help even them out a bit. It happens regularly. 

I live in an area where people become millionaires with regularity. I'm talking middle class folks who often times don't even finish college. You get in early with the right tech company, and you will strike it rich. It's not an uncommon story.

The problem right now is it is feast or famine. You either strike it rich in the Bay Area or you struggle to get by. There is a shrinking middle class.

Also I'm not sure how this applies to Justice John Roberts. He comes from a middle class background.

Edited by Hurlshot

Nah, even start ups need to have some capital to cover the operating costs before they manage to produce anything. The notion that the guy working at a supermarket can just save enough money and then quit his job to start a business and that it will make him a millionaire is nonsense. At best they end up owning a store or food place, which it will take them years to develop into a franchise only to be bought out by one of the major players or to keep competing across multiple generations(and that its how it should work up to a point). Meanwhile some rich guy is able to use both his capital and connections to grow a business in less than a decade and he gets praised for it, never mind that his only contribution was to have the capital and the connection and nothing more.

So with all that in mind, please forgive me if I take what rich people say with a big heap of salt as I know my situation is way too different to what they started with.

Also, what's your friend lifestyle like? is he good with money or is he wasteful? In short, what's the reason for his current predicament? Because I find the whole thing weird; not impossible, just a bit hard to swallow without some context.

A few years back I and five other partners started a company selling, installing and servicing public Wi-Fi. We split the start up cost six ways. I took out a 2nd mortgage on my home and borrowed the max allowed from my retirement savings. I went all in for my part. We worked 14 hour days, sometimes even round the clock. Sometimes every day of the week. When I travelled I did so on my own dime. The company was a success, it began to grow. It became very profitable. And after three years we sold it. With my share I paid off my house, all my debts, fully funded my retirement when the time comes if I'm careful, and a little money in the bank for other investments like my rental property. I'm not a millionaire by any means  but by my estimation I'm rich. I owe nothing to anyone except my car payment and I have everything I need and a few thing I want. If a dumbass like me can do that, anyone can. But you have to have something to sell, and the capital to get it off the ground. But it can be had without being or knowing millionaires. If you have a product you can sell, and that product can be your labor or knowledge or skills you have, and a workable business plan you can find investors. Believe me, anyone can do it. 

The guy I mentioned was on of my partners in this enterprise. He's not wasteful, just seriously overleveraged. He's got a lot of money tied up in long term growth projects that he really does not want to sell. He discussed an opportunity with me but off shore real estate is a little too risky for me. 

Just my $.02 here but real wealth isn't a bank balance. It freedom from worry. Debt is worry. I know guys who have made money leveraging debt. In fact we have a guy like that in the White House right now. Nuts to that. Wealth is not being able to buy big things, it's owning the things you have. I don't care about nice clothes, or fancy cars, or big vacations. I do care about not waking up at night worrying about a bill that needs to be paid. I may sell my home someday but you better believe I'll never borrow against it again.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell