The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Rosbjerg

If you guys don't read Reason magazine, you should. It's the best News Commentary publication around IMO. But this one piece is a pretty interesting defense of the positive effects computer and console games have on young men.   http://reason.com/archives/2017/06/13/young-men-are-playing-video-ga

I did get a good laugh out of this. The author is describing the experience of playing Mass Effect Andromeda

In some ways I was playing sci-fi CEO, but in other ways it felt more like being an all-purpose flunky. Much of the game involves menial chores. My character was equipped with a handheld scanner that can catalog items and provide technical information about many of the objects she encounters. The game offers rewards for scanning just about everything, which means that the play frequently descends into a kind of cataloging and list making, hunting down items to scan, using the scanner to trace wires and connections and solve ancient alien relic puzzles that rather suspiciously resemble games of Sudoku. Land on any of the game's planets and pull up a map, and you'll see that it's covered with icons and markers, each of which represents a task to complete, a person to talk with, an item to acquire.

Completing all of these objectives would take dozens of hours. Most are not even directly related to the game's core storyline. Instead they are what gamers refer to as side-quests—secondary activities and sideline time wasters embedded inside a massive virtual time waster.

The multitude of priorities and objectives means that there is always someplace to go, something to do, someone to talk to, or some object to fetch. Like many games, Mass Effect: Andromeda is designed to entice the player with a cycle of discovery, frustration, achievement, and advancement that never fully resolves, because each in-game accomplishment leads to the discovery of more tasks and objectives, more upgrades and abilities, more work to be done. At its best, it was satisfying, distracting, and frustrating, all at once. I found myself feeling not only that I could play forever, but that I must.

Andromeda is not the most entertaining game I have ever played, but with its endless array of tasks to complete and objectives to achieve, it is among the most job-like in its approach to game design. At times it hit rather close to home.

The game boasts an intricate conversation system, and a substantial portion of the playtime is spent talking to in-game characters, quizzing them for information (much of which adds color but is ultimately irrelevant), asking them for assignments, relaying details of your progress, and then finding out what they would like you to do next.

At a certain point, it started to feel more than a little familiar. It wasn't just that it was a lot like work. It was that it was a lot like my own work as a journalist: interviewing subjects, attempting to figure out which one of the half-dozen questions they had just answered provided useful information, and then moving on to ask someone else about what I had just been told.

Eventually I quit playing. I already have a job, and though I enjoy it quite a bit, I didn't feel as if I needed another one.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

am knowing gifted would likely prefer if the drone were dropping cybernetic sharks into the ocean, sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads, to attack something sinister.  a raft full o' hippies?  perhaps evil border crossers, stymied by trump's wall, forced to try a seaward violation o' american sovereignty? conspicuous consumption ny giants fans on a party boat? 

*shrug*

regardless, am occasional impressed enough with such video footage to share in spite o' fact the liberal science geeks is clearly using the drones wrong.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For that oddity of legal issues...

NC law - woman can't back out of sex once underway

In 1979, the North Carolina Supreme Court, in State v. Way, ruled that women cannot revoke consent after sexual intercourse begins.

Jeff Jackson, a Democratic state senator who represents Mecklenburg County, is working to get the law changed. He said many other women have approached him privately about cases in which they withdrew consent for sex, but the law would not permit the men to be charged.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-st-louis-police-officer-shoots-off-duty-black-officer/

Wonder if this 'fear for my life' reasoning works for us normal people :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

CNN - Chernobyl Cyber Attack

So the bit I heard had the wonderful way of saying it:

Chernobyl is currently running in manual mode with retired operators who are already riddled with cancer from the first melt-down. The fact the US news media is continuing their 'All Trump Bash All the Time' is proof they have not a ****ing clue about what's important.

Repeat: Chernobyl's entire computer system is crashed and it is running in MANUAL MODE with retired operators who are the only ones who know how to keep it from melting down.

Again.

Can't even be sure if they are serious about that.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

universal tries to make mummies dull, but science is here to save the day.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ancient-mummies-finally-give-their-genetic-secrets-180963518/

is too early to start changing history books, but the early data is intriguing. 

HA! Good Fun!

Chernobyl is currently running in manual mode with retired operators who are already riddled with cancer from the first melt-down. The fact the US news media is continuing their 'All Trump Bash All the Time' is proof they have not a ****ing clue about what's important.

Repeat: Chernobyl's entire computer system is crashed and it is running in MANUAL MODE with retired operators who are the only ones who know how to keep it from melting down.

Again.

Clearly this commenter is wrong. Trump is far more dangerous.

• Like 2

Again.

Please tell me this wasn't serious.

People understand that Chernobyl is shut down.

Right?

• Like 1

Again.

Please tell me this wasn't serious.

People understand that Chernobyl is shut down.

Right?

And buried under a hell of a lot of concrete if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Will have a new sarcophagus this year, hopefully - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_New_Safe_Confinement

But yeah, I would hope people would know that the reactors were decommissioned by 2000 (to be honest, I am surprised the other ones were kept running after the #4 reactor exploded, who'd want to work anywhere near that thing).

It's amusing when people don't quite get the difference between the "radiation monitoring facilities" and "actual reactor".

But while the amusement factor did posit putting that comment in the funny things thread, the actual cyber-attack made it more of a weird news thing. :)

Fecal bacteria found in Starbucks iced coffee in the UK: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40426228

I always said Starbucks tasted like s--t.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/pittsburgh-church-greatest-collection-relics-outside-vatican-180963680/

pretty much has hellboy locale/setting written all over it.

HA! Good Fun!

Well... I'm glad THAT has been cleared up!  :lol: 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell