The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Rosbjerg

As I recall, the Community college system in California used a multiple measures method for placement (not admissions); this was considered to be a great break through for remediation (at one point this was my area of work). 

Where I work, there was no community college system, but I did work at one time for an institution that would have been equivilent to a community college (open enrollment).  As our governing body began looking at retention rates, they started adding criteria (to be fair, it was always open admissions with caveats) and moved to requiring a minimum score based on a multiple measures format.  The four research institutions that are also run by this governing body are also held to this criteria, but have layered on many, many other requirements because they are selective admissions and need ways to differentiate students who end up with the same formula scores.

That said, the governing body where I work went to multiple measures with a heavy weight on HS GPA because of the studies promoted by several organizations (including, IIRC, Complete College America) that said HS GPA was a better predictor of early college / freshman year success that SAT/ACT.   This mirrored there Freshman Index requirement which also weighed heavily on HS GPA that was combined with the SAT or ACT score.  Which was what I was trying to make my point on; there are studies that have indicated that even with grade inflation, HS GPA is a better predictor of early college success than SAT/ACT.  But I was not advocating that schools abandon SAT/ACT.  I was a proponent in our system of looking at multiple points to address success factors.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Zebra Shark gives birth without a mate: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/17/health/zebra-shark-reproduction/index.html

He IS the chosen one I tell you!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Perhaps not surprisingly, some people consider Americans to be too WEIRD. :) Apparently it's an abbreviation employed in studies of behavioral science, meaning: Western, educated, industrialized, rich, and democratic.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

firefox_2017-01-20_16-21-23.png

someone needs to take a look at that font, yo

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It's probably because my resolution is slightly substandard (1600x900)...combined with the font having scaling problems (even with a sub-HD resolution, it shouldn't really be having this issue). At least, I wouldn't expect the newest version of Firefox (or thereabouts) to have an issue with such.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Still looks weird in 2560x1440.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

http://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/the-hell-of-apollo-1-pure-oxygen-a-single-spark-and-death-in-17-seconds/ 50th anniversary of the Apollo 1 fire. The audio recording on it does have the sounds of them dying, or at least near it, as a heads up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Very interesting; that said I never thought the Death Star trench was the equator line as it is in the briefing that it runs perpendicular from the equator line and is 'north" of the dish.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/peta-warhammer-fur-free/ A bit random for PETA to pick on Warhammer.

Everytime I read some **** from PETA, all I want to do is go cuddle myself on my wolfpelt.

Also; No skill? Those pelts they drape on themselves usually comes from some beast that can kill an Astartes. And some Chapters have to prove their worth by killing such beasts unarmed. Atleast get they can get their nerd **** straight before they start preaching.

Now, I'm off to bed, and I'm taking my pelt with me. And my sheepskin.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Okay, in the current day and age of serious political shenanigans and ill-feeling between the various political groups and extremes...

I'd just like to point out that we do need to keep a certain sense of whimsy alive. That, and:

the-truth-about-blanket-forts_c_5269151.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38863545

One person present at the service told BBC News it was led by an ordinand - a trainee priest - rather than a licensed minister.

The congregation was also made up of trainees.

While they had been given permission to hold a service to commemorate LGBT history month, a Church of England source said the college chaplain had not seen the wording of the service.

The translation was based on the Polari bible, a work compiled as a project in 2003 by the self-styled Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence.

The scripture and liturgy were printed on to an order of service.

An Old Testament reading from the Prophet Joel which says "rend your heart and not your garments, return to the Lord your God" was printed in Polari as "rend your thumping chest and not your frocks - and turn unto the Duchess your Gloria: for she is bona and merciful".

Instead of the traditional "Glory be to the father, and to the son, and the Holy Spirit" the prayer offered was: "Fabeness be to the Auntie, and to the Homie Chavvie, and to the Fantabulosa Fairy".

Ah, CoE.
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A Decade of Death...

Somebody compiled a list of Australia's deadliest animals over the decade 2000-2010.

And the "Winner" is:

◾Horse, pony or donkey – 77 deaths

◾Cow, bull or bovine – 33 deaths

◾Dog – 27 deaths

◾Kangaroo – 18 deaths

◾Bee – 16 deaths

◾Shark – 16 deaths

◾Snake – 14 deaths

◾Crocodile – 9 deaths

◾Ostrich or emu – 5 deaths

◾Others, including fish, sheep, goats, camels, cats and jellyfish – 39 deaths

Who would have thought. Lets exterminate those beasts for the safety of all Australians!

Same numbers broken down by state:

◾QLD 63

◾VIC 52

◾NSW 46

◾WA 35

◾SA 24

◾NT 24

◾TAS 8

◾ACT 2

Yeah, guess which state I live in ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein