The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Rosbjerg

Edit: This is what happens when you try posting from your smartphone. You end up in the wrong thread....

14264972_1779477135630346_14606263254427

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ignorance. Many Kanadians have guns.   FFS We have gun crfime here you dumbasses. On top of that, our 'free' heath care/insurance is a flat out lie. If our helath insurance was so free why do we have to pay fo so many things include ambulance trips and actual medicine. And, our unions 9where we have them) has to actually negotiate for health insurance. L0L

Kanada's greates achievement is to sell a bunch of bull****z to the world  and get away with it. HAHAHAHA.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wywłaszczyniec - can Poles actually pronounce a word like that, or are they just putting us on?

That's seems pretty easy, I will ask a Polish coworker but seems like Wew-lash-sh-ne-ye-ch (to use an extremely ad hoc terminology for pronunciation :p )

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The flip side of the black lives matter thing

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Tor - Scientist tracks the movement and evolution of ancient myths across continents

Psychologist Carl Jung believed that many cultures across the globe produced similar myths due to a sort of unified subconscious, the idea that deep down in our collective psyche, we all embraced the same symbols in an effort to explain the world. But what if it were far more simple than that? What if these linked myths merely migrated along with the people who told them? One scientist has provided strong evidence to that tune, piecing together together a global mythic tapestry that is thousands of years in the making.

Over in Scientific American, doctoral candidate Julien d’Huy has used computer models and phylogenetic analysis to track the movement of mythic tales across cultures and continents, over thousands of years. d’Huy starts with the example of the classic “Cosmic Hunt” myth–a story where a person or persons track an animal into the forest, where the animal escapes by becoming one of the constellations in the sky–and explains that Jung’s idea of an intrinsic, embedded concept of specific myths and symbology doesn’t hold up across the board:

If that were the case, Cosmic Hunt stories would pop up everywhere. Instead they are nearly absent in Indonesia and New Guinea and very rare in Australia but present on both sides of the Bering Strait, which geologic and archaeological evidence indicates was above water between 28,000 and 13,000 B.C. The most credible working hypothesis is that Eurasian ancestors of the first Americans brought the family of myths with them.

This led d’Huy to create a phylogenetic model, more commonly used by biologists to track evolution, to create a myth tree that tracked the evolution of a single story. By the d’Huy had identified 47 versions of the story and 93 “mythemes” that cropped up throughout these various versions at different frequencies. Tracking these changes made it possible to hypothesize when certain groups migrated to different areas based on the introduction of new story mythemes and changes made to the tale. d’Huy’s model showed that “By and large, structures of mythical stories, which sometimes remain unchanged for thousands of years, closely parallel the history of large-scale human migratory movements.”

Other myths were also tested using this model, yielding fascinating results. The Pygmalion story, the Polyphemus myth, and tales of dragons and serpents all showed evidence of the migratory patterns of humanity dating back thousands of years. It is possible that these models will help future scholars to identify ancestral “protomyths,” or the base tales that many of our widespread myths herald from.

myth-migration.jpg?fit=740%2C522&type=ve

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hans Solo Wins 39th Woolly Worm Festival, Owned by Young Brothers From Boone, NC

http://www.hcpress.com/front-page/hans-solo-wins-39th-woolly-worm-festival-owned-by-young-brothers-from-boone.html

According to Burleson, the forecast is as follows:

• Week 1 (begins December 21) – Normal temperatures with light snow.
  • Weeks 2-4  – Below normal temperatures with accumulations of snow.
  • Week 5-11 –  Above normal temperatures with little or no snow.
  • Weeks 12-13 – Average temperatures with light snow.

Edited by kgambit

The flip side of the black lives matter thing

Guy who uploaded that garbage ("Joey Salads") was pretty unequivocally just proven to be a complete fraud in these "social experiment" videos of his. *shrug*

Important bits start at just about 2:35. Skip to there if you don't feel like sitting through the entire video. Dude is a racebaiter...and a bad one at that.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14690930_712508612233866_901373660739692

I don't want that in my backyard. What a waste of space :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nah, Mine's bigger  :biggrin:  DSC00115.jpg

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I learned today that Snoopy was retired from MetLife's advertising campaign. The news made me realise that the only reason I chose MetLife as my dental insurance provider as part of my benefits package was because of those commercial.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling