Incendiary cloud can be used after a spell card is discarded

Rhygar

Question

8 answers to this question

As topic, pretty sure it's not meant to be.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Actually, by the *real* card game rules, this seems exactly right. (although, timing-wise, the Cloud should be played when you encounter the monster).

I remember they said they changed the Cloud cards due to some technical limitations. Seeing as the Cloud now seems to work just fine - I hope they bring in line all the other Cloud spells (currently, only the Toxic Cloud, which I haven't been able to test)

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

There's a rule that makes it possible to play 2 attack spell in the same combat check by same character? I'm not complaining since it's useful for overcoming the incredulously bugged story mode on legendary . Right now the game forbid its use before an attack spell is played, not after.

It can and I thought it should, by my understanding of the wording, be usable when other teammates get into an encounter.

There's a rule that makes it possible to play 2 attack spell in the same combat check by same character? I'm not complaining since it's useful for overcoming the incredulously bugged story mode on legendary . Right now the game forbid its use before an attack spell is played, not after.

The original wording went something like "When a character encounters a bane, display this card..." - so it wasn't 'played on a check' and you could stack it with your own combat spell check.

In fact, you can see the original post of Obsidian here: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5li9h&page=3?Whats-New-With-Obsidians-Adventure-Card-Game

A get why they couldn't fit the Clouds in an exclusive 'phase' of their own, this is all good and well. But the way the Incendiary Cloud works now seems perfect - you can just stack it with your combat spell, which was the original intent. Basically, it seem all Obsidian has to do to achieve the original functionality is to make the Clouds not count towards the 'one spell per check' limit.

• Like 2

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

as Longshot11 stated, my understanding of incendiary cloud is that it "effectively" amounted to being able to play another spell with it, so if that's how they chose to interpret it, then it's equivalent and probably a lot easier to add to the app.  It was originally played during the non-existent phase where a card has been drawn and the player is choosing to encounter it.

So as _Harwin_ is saying, the bug is probably that order matters more than anything else.

• Like 1

So the bug right now is that you have to play the attack spell first, right?

I wouldn't strictly call it a bug - it's just how they implemented it. Basically, the Cloud is now played at the stage where you play cards to 'Modify the Check' (which is *after* you play cards that determine you skill for the check - such as the combat spells). Yes, it does break the 'one card per type per check' limitation - but in the same time it offers you the closest you can get to the intended functionality of the original spell.

In the card game, the Cloud is played before the check is initiated, so you could play it and then play a combat spell during 'Determine your Skill', or a Guidance during Modify Check. But it's clear such implementation would be problematic for the app.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that Paizo later determined that "displaying" a card counted as "playing" a card, and thus you shouldn't be able to cast a spell and display a different spell on the same check of a turn. Now you CAN have a cloud spell already displayed, encounter a card, and then play a spell because the cloud card is not played as part of the the encounter. You could also play a cloud spell and use a melee attack during one check, and then play a spell (with the cloud still active) as a second "then" check against a boss. 

I'm pretty sure that Paizo later determined that "displaying" a card counted as "playing" a card, and thus you shouldn't be able to cast a spell and display a different spell on the same check of a turn. Now you CAN have a cloud spell already displayed, encounter a card, and then play a spell because the cloud card is not played as part of the the encounter. You could also play a cloud spell and use a melee attack during one check, and then play a spell (with the cloud still active) as a second "then" check against a boss. 

Yes, what I was saying is - currently the Cloud *does* break the "one card per type* limit, but by doing so it actually plays closer to its original intent, and as such I'm eager to disregard the 'bug'. If it was up to me, I wouldn't change the functionality, but I'd add a "you can play this spell even if you played another spell" to the wording.