Is there something special about this scenario? I have tried it abut 10 times now and just about everytime magga has like 10 points to my 0 aftre a few turns and most of the allies are gone. I guess I not grasping what I need to do. Any suggestions would be great.

Is there something special about this scenario? I have tried it abut 10 times now and just about everytime magga has like 10 points to my 0 aftre a few turns and most of the allies are gone. I guess I not grasping what I need to do. Any suggestions would be great.

Well, the scenario is strongly luck-based, if anything. The best 'tactic' you can employ is - start at the locations with the most allies and explore them quickly. Once you've acquired all the allies in a location - just leave it be and move to another one. Oh, and hope the Magga 'eats' from empty locations at least a few times.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

The scoreboard tells you how many cards, not how many allies Magga gets. How many Allies it has is a secret.

You're supposed to be having a Holiday weekend and not on the forums.  RELAX!

• Like 1

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

I have played it a few more times and in a couple of them I supposedly won. It said I won but I can't progress to 3-4. Is there anyway to either reset the victory and retry or to just move on to the next mission?

The display of "Victory" even if you have less allies than Black Magga is a bug. You need to actually get more allies than Magga to advance to the next scenario. The display shows how many cards Magga ate, not how many allies she got. If you click on that field, you'll see an information like "3/18" telling you that you found 3 out of 18 allies in the scenario (18 is for 4 characters, numbers vary with number of locations). So you win if you get at least half of the total number of allies, e.g. 9/18.

For strategy:

• Speed is of the essence, so discard blessings and allies that allow you additional exploration.
  • The Village House is always one of the locations. As this location allows you to acquire allies by recharging any card, go there first.
  • If you empty a location of cards, don't close it. That way Black Magga sometimes tries to draw cards from a location that doesn't have any.
  • Like 3

If you empty a location of cards, don't close it. That way Black Magga sometimes tries to draw cards from a location that doesn't have any.

Great write-up, Tobold! Just to clarify one thing, though: Black Magga can (and will) try to eat from closed locations. The real reason you don't want to close locations is that it's not necessary for winning and therefore not worth spending resources. For example, if all the cards in your hard are good, there's no point sacrificing one of them to close the Village House, since an open and empty Village House is no worse than a closed one.

That said, you will probably want to close some of the locations in a 6-player party. The Dam won't let you leave if you don't close it, and some characters might have trouble leaving the Treacherous Cave. If you have a spare junk item to toss to the General Store, why not see if any quality items are on sale? At the rate Black Magga eats, time is never going to be a problem in this scenario, even in a max-sized group.

I played once so far and was awarded victory even though I was out scored something like 25-6?

The villain was getting 2-3 allies every turn.

This is what happened with my game as well. Got to 6 allies and "won".

I didn't linger though. I took the win, whispered a prayer to Sarenrae, and moved on.

Most hated scenario so far. I just hope it is bugged and allows wins with <8 allies.

Now I have to work on my new group and get there fast, before it is patched.  :yes:

Edited by Narkon27

The display of "Victory" even if you have less allies than Black Magga is a bug. You need to actually get more allies than Magga to advance to the next scenario. The display shows how many cards Magga ate, not how many allies she got. If you click on that field, you'll see an information like "3/18" telling you that you found 3 out of 18 allies in the scenario (18 is for 4 characters, numbers vary with number of locations). So you win if you get at least half of the total number of allies, e.g. 9/18.

And yet I won by getting 6/15 allies, which allowed me to advance to the next scenario. I guess the bug runs deeper than just a false display.

This isn't necessarily a bug. I think what some might be missing is that all allies aren't necessarily acquired by either you or Magga. If there's 18 allies total and you acquire 6, but you failed to acquire 6 as well, then Magga must have gotten the other 6 and that's a tie. I mean this could be a bug but it's hard to tell because the "number" listed for Magga is just the number of random cards eaten - its hard to tell how many of those are allies. You can't even really tell by counting cards during the scenario because each location deck gets 3 extra cards put in, out of a random pile of allies, blessings and henchmen, so each location has up to +0 to +3 allies more than what's originally listed for the location.

So winning while getting 6/15 is very possible if you simply failed to acquire 3 allies over the course of the adventure. 6 for you, 3 failed and banished, 6 left for Magga. I believe you win on ties in this scenario.

What I don't like, and maybe I missed something since I only ran this scenario once so far, is that at the end there's no "reveal" showing how many actual allies are in Magga's pile of eaten cards. It just says victory or defeat.

• Like 1

What I don't like, and maybe I missed something since I only ran this scenario once so far, is that at the end there's no "reveal" showing how many actual allies are in Magga's pile of eaten cards. It just says victory or defeat.

I agree, it would be great to have a final tally to at least see how close it was, get a bit more of a sense of accomplishment and such.

Here are some things I ran into playing this god-awful adventure:

1. In two separate games, Merisiel encountered the Nightbelly Boa and failed to defeat it. So, per the card, the goes on top of the deck. But on all of her turns, she couldn't do anything. I couldn't encounter it again, I couldn't move to another location, nothing - the only thing I could do was to end her turn.

2. I rescued 10 allies, it showed the victory, and I got the gold, etc. Then, after getting all the allies, adjusting my decks, etc., I can't get to the next scenario. Above, everyone says it takes 9 allies. What's the problem here? Is it a bug? Why can't I progress?

EDIT: Ah, I see someone clarified something, and I missed it. Apparently, 9 is not the target for all games.

Edited by mastratton

1. In two separate games, Merisiel encountered the Nightbelly Boa and failed to defeat it. So, per the card, the goes on top of the deck. But on all of her turns, she couldn't do anything. I couldn't encounter it again, I couldn't move to another location, nothing - the only thing I could do was to end her turn.

2. I rescued 10 allies, it showed the victory, and I got the gold, etc. Then, after getting all the allies, adjusting my decks, etc., I can't get to the next scenario. Above, everyone says it takes 9 allies. What's the problem here? Is it a bug? Why can't I progress?

EDIT: Ah, I see someone clarified something, and I missed it. Apparently, 9 is not the target for all games.

If it showed the victory screen and you weren't able to progress then that definitely sounds like a bug.

But part of the problem is that they don't explain the mission very well.

The victory condition is acquiring at least as many allies as Magga "eats" before you either run out of turns on the blessings deck or all the cards in all the locations are gone. The problem is that while the number you've acquired is listed correctly, the number listed for Magga is just the total number of random cards that she's eaten. Some, all, or none of those cards might be ally cards. It's unknown. Normally at the end of the game her "eaten" cards are revealed and you then check how many allies are in there compared to how many you acquired during the scenario, but the app seems to do this secretly which makes it harder to tell what's going on.

Another thing that's going on with this scenario that's kind of unclear on the app is regarding location set up. So each location always gets a certain amount of each type of card when set up for an adventure. Normally, either the villain or a random henchman is mixed in with those cards. But in this scenario, instead of the normal villain/henchman thing, instead 3 random cards are added to each location. Those cards can be any combination of the boa henchman card, or random blessings or random allies. So, when clearing a location it's not as simple as looking to see that there are 4 allies listed at the location and you found all 4. Because the 3 ? listed cards (under the location listing at the top left of the screen) that would normally be the villain or henchman, could also possibly be more allies.

And then as I mentioned above, allies you encounter but fail to acquire are banished. So because of this, it's not always necessary to get half of the total allies. In other words, if there are 12 allies total, you encounter 3 and fail to get them, those 3 go away and will not get eaten by Magga. So then if you acquire 5 others, that only leaves 4 for Magga so you could still win without getting half of the total.

In the end it's likely this scenario has some bugs (the person above who got 10 allies, victory screen but unable to progress, sounds like a bug). But other people posting saying they "lost" because it showed a score of 6 hero allies to 25 Magga cards but then they got the victory screen, probably just don't understand what's going on in the scenario because it's not explained real well in the game (because that could very well be a win).

• Like 1

If you empty a location of cards, don't close it. That way Black Magga sometimes tries to draw cards from a location that doesn't have any.

Great write-up, Tobold! Just to clarify one thing, though: Black Magga can (and will) try to eat from closed locations. The real reason you don't want to close locations is that it's not necessary for winning and therefore not worth spending resources. For example, if all the cards in your hard are good, there's no point sacrificing one of them to close the Village House, since an open and empty Village House is no worse than a closed one.

That said, you will probably want to close some of the locations in a 6-player party. The Dam won't let you leave if you don't close it, and some characters might have trouble leaving the Treacherous Cave. If you have a spare junk item to toss to the General Store, why not see if any quality items are on sale? At the rate Black Magga eats, time is never going to be a problem in this scenario, even in a max-sized group.

...Black Magga still goes to closed locations. At least she does for me...

Hmm. This question (#2) is showing up in many places on the forum.  It's been answered in other threads.

The bug is this: in order to advance after a victory in HCtF, a character in your party has to encounter the last card in the last location deck. If Black Magga eats the last card, you don't advance. If time runs out, you don't advance.

• Like 2

This adventure is -very- weird, probably due to some poor transposition of the tabletop rules into the medium. The closest I've ever come to winning was a 12 out of 24 saved, ended with an empty blessing deck. This is supposed to be a win, but it didn't work -and after countless games I've come to the conclusion that HCtF is not only completely luck based, but the winning conditions are simply wrongly written or implemented.

*Keep in mind that the following measurements are made with a 6-characters party*

>As written, you are supposed to be able to win even with a tie.
Confirmed not to work (at least for me), with an ally count of 12 saved out of 24 -but this could be due to an interesting bug with the ending condition.

>As written, the adventure ends when (I quote) "there are no cards in the blessing deck, or all location decks are empty".
I'm almost sure that the empty blessing deck condition is not checked at all or somehow bugged; that would not only explain my experience, but also the weird "victory" screen one gets after forfeiting.

The bug is this: in order to advance after a victory in HCtF, a character in your party has to encounter the last card in the last location deck. If Black Magga eats the last card, you don't advance. If time runs out, you don't advance.

If this is true, then is there a way to win this adventure? Has anyone progressed beyond HCtF at all?

I've beaten it on normal with a 6-player party and on heroic with a 5-player party. Both times, one of my characters encountered the last card -- the first time, by accident; the second, because I made sure to do it after seeing the comments in this thread!

This adventure is -very- weird, probably due to some poor transposition of the tabletop rules into the medium. The closest I've ever come to winning was a 12 out of 24 saved, ended with an empty blessing deck. This is supposed to be a win, but it didn't work -and after countless games I've come to the conclusion that HCtF is not only completely luck based, but the winning conditions are simply wrongly written or implemented.

*Keep in mind that the following measurements are made with a 6-characters party*

>As written, you are supposed to be able to win even with a tie.

Confirmed not to work (at least for me), with an ally count of 12 saved out of 24 -but this could be due to an interesting bug with the ending condition.

>As written, the adventure ends when (I quote) "there are no cards in the blessing deck, or all location decks are empty".

I'm almost sure that the empty blessing deck condition is not checked at all or somehow bugged; that would not only explain my experience, but also the weird "victory" screen one gets after forfeiting.

If this is true, then is there a way to win this adventure? Has anyone progressed beyond HCtF at all?

Done it on the first try. Only problem I had were the boas. They get stuck in the location deck. Workaround going to the map and then again to the location. After that i was able to drag the boa.