[CLASS BUILD] The Witch Doctor (mid-ranged dps monk disabler)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I put the skill points how they were when I played this guy. Maybe it was done to solve some early quests more easily (to sneak around some encounters for example) but I really don't remember why there's 4 stealth. 

It doesn't really matter. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 5 weeks later...

Usually it's best to play in a melee/ranged hybrid way. If you are facing a lot of ranged enemies you'll get shot at often enough though. You can also shoot at your own monk but I find that weird.

On 1/19/2021 at 8:50 AM, Boeroer said:

Usually it's best to play in a melee/ranged hybrid way. If you are facing a lot of ranged enemies you'll get shot at often enough though. You can also shoot at your own monk but I find that weird.

I've read so many threads since you replied to me. :) Anyway, I started a monk on POTD playing with story companions only and was having fun (I'm at level 8 now in Defiance Bay). The difficulty wasn't too bad, but now I am thinking about all the other characters and classes I'm missing out on. I am wondering, in 2021, what are you favorite class/builds for the MC in POE?

Edited by junki

Monk. 😄

My favorite class when I started PoE was Barbarian and I still like it - but he more I played the more often my favorite class changed: from Barb to Wizard to Druid to Priest to Monk I believe. Monk took me some time to get into but I think it's the best and most fun to play martial class in PoE.

I especially liked this build (Witch Doctor) because once you get the Long Pain it's like you are playing a walking fist-shooting machine gun.

One other build I had most fun with is maybe this:

One that did very well from a powergaming perspective as well as from a role-playing perspective (including dialogue options etc.) was this:

Edited by Boeroer

I too was enjoying my monk. I think I'm going to restart with a different race (I picked Human but I want to try Moon Godlike for an easier Act 1). Thanks for your advice! Your nuggets of wisdom are littered literally everywhere in this forum haha.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I am still in PoE (priest of Berath) and I thought since I want to play Helwalker/Priest of Berath in Deadfire. I thought it would be nice to pick up Zahua (never used him before). I have to say that so far I have had a blast with him. As a matter of fact, I have had so much fun that it made me think of playing MC monk the next time around. While I love Witch Doctor idea, I think it focuses on dmg too much and I was wondering whether I could just make him more survivable and potentially use a variation of the build for a solo run on higher difficulty (probably hard). So far I got this:

RACE: whatever, but I like humans for roleplay

STATS: MIG 18/CON 14/DEX 10/PER 10/ INT 16/ RES 10

as far as talents and abilities go:

{Lvl 1} - Torment's Reach. A great ability and supposedly works with Long Pain Fists.

{Lvl 2} - Veteran's Recovery, always nice to have some healing and staying power, especially early on.

{Lvl 3} - Swift Strikes, more speed is nice and that is what is needed.

{Lvl 4} - Two Weapon Style, it will give crazy high speed with the fists.

{Lvl 5} - Force of Anguish. Very nice CC, especially with good INT.

{Lvl 6} - Weapon Focus Peasant. More acccuracy is good.

{Lvl 7} - Long Pain Fists. This is the core of the build and should be acquired as soon as possible.

{Lvl 8} - Lightning Strikes, +25% lightning dmg is a nice buff.

{Lvl 9} - Duality of Mortal Presence set on Other Defenses. This character will have really high saves.

{Lvl 10} - Bull's Will. I really want to have high defenses.

{Lvl 11} - Flagellant's Path, nice dmg and debuff. Very good when you need to get somewhere through enemies or some closed passage. Maybe even get away in a pinch.

{Lvl 12} - Bear's Fortitude. Again, more defenses.

{Lvl 13} - Iron Wheel, this character will definitely spend a lot of wounds, but the extra DR is nice. Crucible of Suffering is also a very viable option.

{Lvl 14} - Apprentice Sneak Attack works when the enemy is flanked or prone.

{Lvl 15} - Crucible of Suffering or Iron Wheel.

{Lvl 16} - Wound Binding. This is stupid amount of healing when CON and MIG are high, I am actually considering taking it earlier.

{Skills} - Survival ??, Athletics ??, Lore ??, Mechanics ??

As far as the gear goes:

{Head} - Skull of Maegfolic Might. The extra MIG and healing are superb.

{Chest} - Any heavy armor you like (He Carries Many Scars seems a good fit). Fashion souls for life.

{Belt} - Blunting Belt (+5 pierce/slash DR) and then Clarity for amazing Defenses.

{Boots} - Shod in Faith for that sweet healing or Echoing Misery

{Neck} - whatever

{Gloves} - Gauntlets of Swift Action or Mourning Gloves or Blood Testament

{Rings} - Ring of Thorns, Ring of Protection

{Weapons} -  Fists, Long Pain Fists.

@Boeroer, what do you think? I haven't beaten PoE 1 solo yet and I have to say that since I am always looking for characters that can do everything (tank, DPS, cc) this seems like an interesting idea. I originally planned to do so with a chanter (from my testing and personal experience, chanters are crazy strong) but this also seems very legit. I mean, I took your build and switched some of the "hater" talents to boost survivability. I cannot imagine that the damage would be bad, but the character should be able to take a lot of punishment. I was also considering +move speed from talent or boots, but I am not sure if that is truly needed. What do you think? Could this work?