Adventure Experience Reward

How does this work? Just saying x% experience is confusing. X% of what?

If I have a companion I haven't used the entire game who is 2 levels behind (more like 1 1/2 levels behind in terms of total experience), can I use this to catch them up if I have enough turn-ins saved up to trigger and complete adventures?

What I'm basically asking is how do these numbers work? If an adventure says it gives 50% exp, what does that mean?

Do they just get a flat amount of experience (for example from level 10 to 11 you need 10,000 exp so 50% would be 5,000)?

Or do they just get a bonus 50% of the experience you obtained while they were adventuring? In the latter case, is that additive or multiplicative? Does it just add 50% to the ~75ish% they get for not being in the active party?

I'd still like to know this. If anyone doesn't know but still has some input or experiences regarding this system, feel free to chip in.

I'm leaning towards the latter possibility I mentioned above on how this might system work.

I had 3 average adventures in a row. The first I just dropped a random companion I never use in. I then proceeded to play the game for like 3 hours without any turns. When I finally got two turns and the adventure concluded, the companion got over 3000 exp (this was my first adventure ever and it was in act 2). Much later in the game (I had like 20 turns with no adventures for some reason), I got the other two average adventures in a row. I proceeded to hire a priest 1 level below me and made sure I had a bunch of tasks to turn in before accepting the first of the two. My priest got 700 exp, and 500 exp respectively. This leads me to believe that the 15% reward is indeed 15% of the total exp your active party got while the adventure was underway.

Confirmation would be nice though.

I've been poking around a bit, looking at the code, and your intuition is correct. All XP the party earns while the adventure is ongoing is tallied up, and when the adventure concludes the adventurer gets (75 + adventure bonus)% of that 'deferred' XP.

What I'm still a bit unclear on is whether this is in addition to receiving 75% of party XP anyway (ie. receiving 150% + bonus%). That is, I shouldn't think that it would be the case, but from the code I get the distinct impression that that's what happening anyway. I'll try to dig a bit deeper into it to be sure. But regardless, the x% is indeed definitely a bonus percentage of the party XP generated as the adventure ran.

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 1

I've been poking around a bit, looking at the code, and your intuition is correct. All XP the party earns while the adventure is ongoing is tallied up, and when the adventure concludes the adventurer gets (75 + adventure bonus)% of that 'deferred' XP.

What I'm still a bit unclear on is whether this is in addition to receiving 75% of party XP anyway (ie. receiving 150% + bonus%). That is, I shouldn't think that it would be the case, but from the code I get the distinct impression that that's what happening anyway. I'll try to dig a bit deeper into it to be sure. But regardless, the x% is indeed definitely a bonus percentage of the party XP generated as the adventure ran.

Thanks for this.

That means that if you're running a party with hired adventurers and you want to try and catch up a specific party member to your MC, you might consider removing that party member from your active party for a grand or legendary adventure. They would receive a net gain in XP in that scenario. If you leave the slot left by that party member empty, then even a major adventure would result in a net gain in XP for that party member (and everyone really).

This doesn't apply to generic adventurers, of course. Only Legendary Generic adventures with the 25% xp rewards would be worth removing someone from your active party to do (and you would have to leave that slot empty for the duration of the adventurer).

Edit: I'm not sure how big of a bonus you get for 5 man parties. If it is high enough, then the 20% XP grand generic adventures might be worth it too.

Double edit: Of course, all my speculation in this post is assuming that we aren't getting 150% + plus bonus% from adventures. Let me know if you can confirm that we are, because that changes things drastically.

Edited by TWPE

If my reading of the code is correct, that would indeed be possible, yes. And having poured over it a bit more, that really does seem to be the case. It's not exactly like reading a book though, it's a bit of a puzzle, so to be certain I'll check in-game. In my current playthrough I'm just about to obtain the stronghold, so when I get my first Stronghold adventure I'll check out the XP numbers I get. That should settle it definitively.

• Like 1

If my reading of the code is correct, that would indeed be possible, yes. And having poured over it a bit more, that really does seem to be the case. It's not exactly like reading a book though, it's a bit of a puzzle, so to be certain I'll check in-game. In my current playthrough I'm just about to obtain the stronghold, so when I get my first Stronghold adventure I'll check out the XP numbers I get. That should settle it definitively.

I'll try to confirm this as well. Though, 96% of my turns seem to end up being "Nothing new to report" with a smattering of taxes.

So it's like all the numbers in the game.

They are there but the mechanics are so obscure they are of little use without a spreadsheet. :)

I'm interested in this because I often had 2 separate dudes doing their separate little quests while the main party adventures.

Now I'm considering trying with a small party of 3 or 4, level up faster through less people to divide the rewards.

But I'm wondering if taking just a 4 man party is actually less effective than adventuring with a party of 4, while still having

2 backups doing the stronghold quests. Or would it be better to just have 1 doing the tasks while ignoring some.

See the exp rewards from the adventures are useless... UNLESS the exp goes to someone you actually intend to use. That's why I want to figure this out. (That and not understanding mechanics drives me crazy...)

So it's like all the numbers in the game.

They are there but the mechanics are so obscure they are of little use without a spreadsheet. :)

I'm interested in this because I often had 2 separate dudes doing their separate little quests while the main party adventures.

Now I'm considering trying with a small party of 3 or 4, level up faster through less people to divide the rewards.

But I'm wondering if taking just a 4 man party is actually less effective than adventuring with a party of 4, while still having

2 backups doing the stronghold quests. Or would it be better to just have 1 doing the tasks while ignoring some.

As for your question (assuming I understand it). There is no penalty to your active party members exp for having more people in the stronghold. There is no penalty to the people in the stronghold for having more people in the stronghold. So far as I understand it, people in the stronghold always get 75% of whatever a single one of your active party members received. If you run a party of 6 and get 600 xp, each member gets 100, and everyone in the stronghold gets 75 (even if you have 8+ people in the stronghold... they all get 75 each). So it is technically ALWAYS more efficient to have more people in the stronghold as far as total exp gains per quest.

However, the people in stronghold will fall far behind if you never use them or send them on adventures. In that case, you're better off just hiring them right before you start using them (even though they'll have a huge gap in exp between hired adventurers and the MC if you hire them later in the game... Edit: if you have the option to choose their level ups turned on, companions like Eder are better off being recruited as late as possible if you don't intent to use them in your main party).

Alternating adventures between two party members in stronghold, while running a party of 4 should work though; assuming Loren Tyr's theory of 150% is correct. We just need to know the numbers first to confirm. Either way the bonus exp from running a smaller party will still apply to both the active and the reserve members (yes, there is a bonus for using a smaller party according to the wiki). So, losses should be minimal to your 2 in reserve if you don't get enough adventures to divide between them.

I kind of ranted there. If you run a party of 4 but intend to use more than 4 later, you should definitely hire at least one more and give them all your adventures (or two and split them). It won't hurt the exp your active party gets at all. Hope that helps.

Edited by TWPE
  • Like 1

Indeed. Number of non-active NPCs in the stronghold doesn't matter. Events generate a particular base amount of *per character* XP. NPCs in the stronghold get 75% of this for doing nothing, this does not affect the XP for active party members in any way. The only relevant variable is the number of characters in the party. In a party of 6 each member gets 100% XP, and 10% more per party member less (ie. 110% XP in a five-man party, 120% if four, etc. up to 150% of XP when you're soloing).  

• Like 1

If 10% is the bonus, then a party of two insures that everyone at the stronghold gets better exp than they would if they were apart of an active six man party. Theoretically, if you had a bunch of turn ins saved up to quickly pass turns. You could send someone on a legendary adventure. Reduce your active party to one or two. Turn in 3-7 quests to pass 5 turns. Your two active members get 140% exp. Everyone in the stronghold gets 105% exp. The member you send on the adventure gets 230% or 236% (depending.. I'm not sure how the bonuses stack).

Again this is assuming that Loren Tyr's theory that the 75% + quest reward exp % reward is on top of the normal 75% stronghold gains. (Edit: Even if it turns out to be wrong, the party member sent on the legendary adventure would still get 175% exp in the above scenario.)

Edited by TWPE

Seems too much juggling and fiddling about to get more XP for non-party members. If I wanted the non-party members to be equal to my MC if I decide to use them later... I'd just use the bloody console and be done with it. Simpler.

I can confirm what I concluded from the code: you get the 75% twice. I had a hireling do an adventure (15% XP bonus), over the course of which my party members (6 member party, so standard 100% rate) gained 824 XP. My control idle stronghold NPC gained 613 XP, so the expected 75% of the total (with a bit of rounding error). As shown in the adventure report my questing adventurer earned himself 741 XP (90% of 824) and a magic urn for his troubles, but the total XP gained was actually 1354, so 165% of 824. Not sure whether this is actually intended by the developers, but at any rate it's how it works. Note that this would actually only apply to quests that *have* an XP bonus, though I'm not sure there even are any that don't.

In any case, whether it is worth juggling NPCs and such I'm not sure, but sending a non-active NPC on a quest certainly can help keep them on par with the main party in terms of XP / catch up to the lost 25% when idle. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Loren Tyr.

Seems too much juggling and fiddling about to get more XP for non-party members. If I wanted the non-party members to be equal to my MC if I decide to use them later... I'd just use the bloody console and be done with it. Simpler.

Heh, to each their own.

I'm personally not going to use this to balance non-party members. I'm going to use this to balance hired adventurer party members. I won't go to the extremes in my last example though. I'll just drop a party member from my active party when I get an adventure and tough it out without them for a few turns (or use my druid as a stand in). That way the exp rewards are actually useful (they go to someone I'm actually using for the majority of the game) and my hired adventurers should, in theory, catch up to my MC in level gap.

Ah, so it's definitely going to be a smaller active party with a couple of stronghold backups,

(who will actually be ahead in XP and who I can use as extra muscle in times of need).

Sounds good. Hopefully you don't have my abysmal luck with getting adventures when you want them. (I will never get that minor adventure I want... I will never be able to finish upgrading my stronghold because of this...)

Edit: I can confirm what Loren Tyr said is true. The base 75% for being in reserve stacks with the 75% +X% from adventures.

I can also confirm that the reduced party size bonus stacks with the Adventure bonus exp. Further testing is required to verify how these stack, but they do stack. You can see the difference in the adventure report.

If you run around with the same number of party members for the entire duration of an adventure, I think it looks something like this:

N * (.75  + .75 + X ) * exp = total exp gained

Where:

X is the the quest bonus exp in decimal form.

N is the bonus multiplier for having less people in your active party.

However the quest log will only show N * (.75 + X) * exp = quest reward.

The adventurer still gets the normal N * .75 * exp while you're running around during the adventure duration and then the quest reward is added on to that at the end (the formula just didn't look as pretty so i simplified it a bit).

This should be simple to test once I actually get a legendary adventure. if I run around solo for 5 turns during a legendary adventure the exp multiplier should simply be 3; which will drastically reduce the chances for rounding errors when I test it (I just have to double whatever my solo character got during that time).

Edited by TWPE