I am Miffed

Sweet_Sadie

The OP finished high school at 10 and had 4 years time off because she wanted to wait until 14 to go to college. The 4 year gap leave is something I have to wonder about. Who was supervising her during those years? And why wouldn't they try to convince a 10 year old to continue with their schooling? And who takes 4 years off from schooling at 10 years old? That's some bargaining power the OP had at that age.

That's flashback material for at least four seasons, we'll come up with the first year or so and pull the rest out when the time comes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This was my point; you're assuming that someone on the net hasn't decided to be the person they want to be rather than the person they are.

Is it really a relevant distinction?

It is if the two aren't equivalent.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think most of the folks who are regulars on this board have been pretty honest about who they are. If our lives were lies we'd have thought of better ones! 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Like 5

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

This was my point; you're assuming that someone on the net hasn't decided to be the person they want to be rather than the person they are.

Really.....its significant ? So do we now question the veracity of what people say....I have a  large list of things for you guys to check  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The OP finished high school at 10 and had 4 years time off because she wanted to wait until 14 to go to college. The 4 year gap leave is something I have to wonder about. Who was supervising her during those years? And why wouldn't they try to convince a 10 year old to continue with their schooling? And who takes 4 years off from schooling at 10 years old? That's some bargaining power the OP had at that age.

My sources say she spent those 4 years on a "research station" in Antarctica, officially.  :ninja:

Maybe worked for the government and isn't allowed to talk about it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Really.....its significant ? So do we now question the veracity of what people say....I have a  large list of things for you guys to check  :biggrin:

I'm not saying it is, what I'm saying is that - in truth - you don't know.  Its one of the things that bugs me when people try to make sweeping assumptions about people based on what they perceive as the "identity" of the poster when the great thing about the internet is that we can act devoid of identity if we want to.  And that, ultimately, identity should be irrelevant to our interactions.

I think most of the folks who are regulars on this board have been pretty honest about who they are. If our lives were lies we'd have thought of better ones! 

Truer words were never spoken!

I dunno, I like to think it keeps me humble...I mean yes, exactly.  We totally would have thought of better fake lives to present.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not saying it is, what I'm saying is that - in truth - you don't know.  Its one of the things that bugs me when people try to make sweeping assumptions about people based on what they perceive as the "identity" of the poster when the great thing about the internet is that we can act devoid of identity if we want to.  And that, ultimately, identity should be irrelevant to our interactions.

Hence my question about whether it's really a relevant distinction.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Ah, I misunderstood what you were trying to get at.

Only matters to know what buttons to push if you want to wind them up, really. Which is an essential part of Internet interaction.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I haven't seen SS around so I guess we DID put another head on the city gates. Of course we had tell-off threads before and the denouncing party still lurked around after.

Whatever. There is nothing wrong with this board. If you're expecting to have your ass kissed you've come to the wrong shop.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I started reading philosophy and non-fiction when I was 8. I graduated high school when I was 10 and could have gone straight into college. I waited until I was 14 to begin college. Does it occur that I might not sound like a tyical 16 year old because I am not typical?

Heh, but seriously... :lol:

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I haven't seen SS around so I guess we DID put another head on the city gates. Of course we had tell-off threads before and the denouncing party still lurked around after.

Whatever. There is nothing wrong with this board. If you're expecting to have your ass kissed you've come to the wrong shop.

I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with the board

But some members can be a little more polite and reasonable to new members. We also shouldn't feel the need to perhaps overreact to every strange thing a new member may post or say?

So for example, a new member comes to the forum and says something maybe controversial. The reaction from  this should be measured perhaps  as new people dont know the various forum personalities  and maybe have a understandable, negative response from the amount of vitriol they receive ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But some members can be a little more polite and reasonable to new members. We also shouldn't feel the need to perhaps overreact to every strange thing a new member may post or say?

So for example, a new member comes to the forum and says something maybe controversial. The reaction from  this should be measured perhaps  as new people dont know the various forum personalities  and maybe have a understandable, negative response from the amount of vitriol they receive ?

But Bruce, what you're saying.. is that we should treat these people differently. Is that part of the grand treating people equally?  If I treat person x and y in one manner, is it really right to behave in another manner altogether for person z?  Isn't that just.. not PC? :brows:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't get the complaint at all. She was not mistreated or insulted. Like TN said, no complaints came from her. What do you consider to be polite? Agreeing with someone for the sake of politeness? Sorry Bruce, that isn't how the internet works. If you say something in a "debate" forum you had better be prepared to defend it because it is going to be challenged. Don't jump into the pool unless you're ready to swim.

I don't think anyone on this board has been disagreed with more than I have the last 12 years or so (Jesus Christ has it been that long?)  But I keep coming back because THAT is the point of it. To hear different opinions, defend your own & challenge theirs. Vigorously argued alternate viewpoints are the one thing that spices this board up. Do you even know how rare that is? Most internet forums tend to segregate themselves when it comes to opinion until they become monolithic echo chambers. That is completely boring. For whatever reason it never happened here on the WoT forum of a small computer game designers website. Rather than b------g about it SS should be happy to have found it. But for whatever reason it wasn't for her so she denounced us and left. Bye bye.

Assume for a moment here entire backstory was true. It took years before I posted any personal details about myself here. Most others the same. She led off with it and it IS an improbable story. She made THAT a topic of conversation. Well, improbable stories get challenged. 

Besides, if I told everyone I was actually a globetrotting archaeology professor who traveled around looking for lost treasures wearing a fedora, leather jacket and bullwhip would you have believed me? 

• Like 5

Thomas Sowell

"So for example, a new member comes to the forum and says something maybe controversial. The reaction from  this should be measured perhaps  as new people dont know the various forum personalities  and maybe have a understandable, negative response from the amount of vitriol they receive ?"

No. I don't believe in using kid gloves. I don't believe in treating people differently. Man, woman, child, white, black, asian, latino. If you post on the internet, I will treat you like all the other losers who waste time on the internet. :)

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Besides, if I told everyone I was actually a globetrotting archaeology professor who traveled around looking for lost treasures wearing a fedora, leather jacket and bullwhip would you have believed me?

Well, you are named after a dog....

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wear a fedora because I'm euphoric.

Npt2WvD.png

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, you are named after a dog....

:lol:  This went totally over my head for almost 30 minutes... I hang my head in shame!

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell