I am Miffed

Sweet_Sadie

I think the trouble is the majority of the forum regulars talk (type) to newcomers exactly as they would to other long-time forum regulars.

So in a way, this forum is very much about equality. It's just that equality is that everyone gets treated the same regardless of your race, creed, sex, alt, or brand of geekism. We don't really do the "you're someone new [insert brand of special snowflake] so we have to treat you completely different so you feel comfortable until you get to know everybody and understand why so much of it isn't serious or why this is a personal trait of that idiot and that's part of so-and-so's charm"

Since we have a certain history of one or two people wandering in and playing certain extreme forms of political/ethnic behaviour in with multiple alts... There's a certain nod-nod, wink-wink, whenever someone new turns up with certain shades of that.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I thought we were all Eldars alts? :unsure:

Otherwise I would say Raithe nailed it pretty well. Friendliness towards newcomers is found wanting at times, but It's very hard to avoid in an "old boys club" which Way Off Topic has turned into. Skepsis runs deep and is a hurdle that needs to be overcome, so sometimes ego's will be bruised, spears broken, shields shattered... :woot:

and sometimes people decide that a a few scars and sore spots is trivial compared to mingling and participating in a new community. It shouldn't be so, but it's hard to avoid without holding a community in an iron grip of restrictions and supervision.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hi Miffed, nice to meet you.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So has it been confirmed thst HP and HP2 are Eldar alts as well?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

GD I think one of the issues is we are not welcoming enough with new forum members

No, you indeed are not particularly welcoming with new members. I had to annoy everybody with my obnoxious arse for prolonged periods of time so that certain someone would go from pretty much calling me a worthless piece of s**t for absolutely no reason to ignoring me, that was fun :-P
  • Like 1

"I have been told I don't sound like a 16 year old. Really? What does a 16 year old sound like? I am more well read than almost everyone here. I started reading novels when I was 6. I started reading philosophy and non-fiction when I was 8. I graduated high school when I was 10 and could have gone straight into college. I waited until I was 14 to begin college. Does it occur that I might not sound like a tyical 16 year old because I am not typical?"

smart girls shouldn't be on the internet

W8Md3HA.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

This place is pretty welcoming. Just have to do the usual infiltration of lurking, post a little here and there and only engage when you have a suitable presence.

Not like it is hostile here anyway. And heck, giving some oldbie here fire may even hasten the process.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

GD I think one of the issues is we are not welcoming enough with new forum members

No, you indeed are not particularly welcoming with new members. I had to annoy everybody with my obnoxious arse for prolonged periods of time so that certain someone would go from pretty much calling me a worthless piece of s**t for absolutely no reason to ignoring me, that was fun :-P

Me? Sorry can you remind me exactly what discussion ....I think I do remember but please post the links if possible ?

I want to review it  if you dont mind ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guys if anyone is interested I will give my honest assessment of how Sadie was treated and other events

But I'll be honest so dont ask if you are going to get offended....see this as constructive criticism   8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Friendliness towards newcomers is found wanting at times, but It's very hard to avoid in an "old boys club" which Way Off Topic has turned into. Skepsis runs deep and is a hurdle that needs to be overcome, so sometimes ego's will be bruised, spears broken, shields shattered... :woot:

"The men of the Bellona Club are advanced in years. They will see what they expect to see. They will expect to see dandruff."

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Didn't see any reports filing in so it can't have been that bad.

This wasn't one of those " user would report to moderators  "

Its just some  people can be direct and at times rude and its not  a very nice first impression for anyone 

John Milton 

This place is pretty welcoming. Just have to do the usual infiltration of lurking, post a little here and there and only engage when you have a suitable presence.

Infiltration'll work even in most right-down unwelcoming communities, but it's not for many temperaments. I don't really mind TBH, my approach to getting into communities can be summed up as Forum posting: Prepare to Die edition, still - my definition of "welcoming" is "community which'll embrace people who act even in ways unusual to it". Which I observed this community to do some of the time, true enough.

Me? Sorry can you remind me exactly what discussion ....I think I do remember but please post the links if possible ?

Oh not you, I just don't like pointing fingers at people (we all have bad days after all. Or... Well, months) and so I won't. Edited by Fenixp

Infiltration'll work even in most right-down unwelcoming communities, but it's not for many temperaments. I don't really mind TBH, my approach to getting into communities can be summed up as Forum posting: Prepare to Die edition, still - my definition of "welcoming" is "community which'll embrace people who act even in ways unusual to it". Which I observed this community to do some of the time, true enough.

Oh not you, I just don't like pointing fingers at people (we all have bad days after all. Or... Well, months) and so I won't.

Oh okay but if I did offend you please tell me, I doubt it was intentional? 

People often  misunderstand me .....I'm  misunderstood on these forums .....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :aiee:

John Milton