WM 1 seems to have "reset" after an area transition

col-spliffington

Question

This is a weird one.  After the first encounter with the eyeless at the IF camp, I travel back to Stewart village to find it under attack by ogres.  I kill them instantly and realise that it was the end of the MW1 intro.  I then travel to Longwatch falls and the map is back to being covered by the fog of war.  I advance and find a second Greenstone staff.  Googled around a bit and didn't see any mention of this issue.  

It was pretty late at night and as I thought the attack was some plot thing, I don't think I have any "before" saves, but below is what I have for this run.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3w0m2vcn1bo6uh2/AAB7LIfm3JVNyZrb1fUxONXDa?dl=0

14 answers to this question

Hey col-spilffington,

I've been running around in your save and it seems like this is just the first time you've entered The White March. Are you sure you completed it in this save file? All saves included are in WM part 1 and have never been to WM part 2. Even your characters experience match up with what you've done. Can you verify this is the right save?

-Sking

Ok, here is a new round of saves, they are named "Test Save pre Fight", "Test Save post Fight", "Test Save post Travel".   There is also an autosave when I traveled from the fort to longwatch falls.  The PC should be a barb named "Bronan the Bro".  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/60j9x4pplyk2skh/AABu9hOVl32c3LEe4ii_Snyra?dl=0

Edited by col-spliffington

I loaded up your save "Bronan the Bro" and ran around. Everything seems fine. The 3.03 Beta should be out soon. Try to load up the save in that and let me know if it is still busted.

I got your back

-Sking

I just loaded "Test Save Post Travel".  It loads to Longwatch Falls, which is covered in FoW even though I have completed all the quests there.  Moving directly east I can loot the skeleton and obtain a second Greenstone staff.  The game plays fine, other then some weird dialogue triggers.  My issue is the seeming reset and the fear that it will cause further issues down the road.  If this is a known bug then I have no issue with waiting for the beta, but googling around didn't uncover anyone else experiencing this.   Thanks

I loaded up your save at the Fort and transitioned back to the Stalwart looking for your reset village. It was all where it was supposed to be. The Beta was just posted. Let me know if it helps.

This is crazy.  I just loaded the same save, from the same link I posted, and got this:

v54CgL3.jpg 

At first I thought the return of Darzir was a plot twist ;)

I will install the beta and report back.  If that doesnt work, do you think that trying something like moving my saves to like a usb stick, reinstalling, then importing the saves might do anything?  I don't know anything about programming, but could it be an error with my install that isn't reflected in the save? 

Alrighty, I finally reproduced it with your Pre-fight save. It seems like this is related to the issue with having multiple versions of Pillars open at the same time. It will reset your global variables and corrupt your saves. You might be able to progress to the end of the game, but this issue will not go away in this save. 

Sorry

-Sking

That is heartbreaking.  I finish like 1 out of 100 games I start, but PoE really took ahold of me.  Three questions:

1: I have like four more concurrent runs, but none much past the beginning of WM1.  Do you think they are corrupted as well?

2: Any idea how I managed to open multiple versions of the game? I have it on Steam so I wasn't aware I could even do that. 

3: How much longer are you guys going to keep tweaking this thing?  I have liked every change so far, but I might put it down and restart once it is more or less "done".

Thanks for you help.