Quite the extensive list there by Longshot. One question, in legendary , is chess master Amiri's upgraded move fast ability able to move companion to her regardless of the one square restriction ? Never played around with that yet

Quite the extensive list there by Longshot. One question, in legendary , is chess master Amiri's upgraded move fast ability able to move companion to her regardless of the one square restriction ? Never played around with that yet

They ARE subject to restriction. They should be within 1 location from you, if you're not moving yourself, but I'm not 100% about the other cases. I think, your first move and then you can move to your new location characters that are 1 location away from it.

Even then, this allowed me to save characters from certain death. Someone got hand-wiped off turn and were going to die on hand reset, and they were too far away from my only healer. Thankfully, Amiri was between them and saved the day once more, by pulling them close enough.

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

These are all good ideas about making Amiri great and I would love to test them, but unfortunately the game bugged out and I am locked out of Quest mode. Evey time I open the game and go to Quest, the reward screen pops up and after a while the game freezes.  :(

You can read more about this issue  here

Edited by Narkon27

I can't believe you didn't like Sajan! He can burn through blessings to explore. Once you get staffs of healing, Poog, and Father Zantos, this isn't much of a problem! Plus if you have a good healer (Lini) it doesn't matter much.

To be fair, he's a slow starter (not to mention a bit boring as a one-trick pony). Without a weapon and no hard bonuses to combat, he basically HAS to recharge at least two blessings to reliably kill anything. And with a starting hand of 4, this doesn't leave you much else to work with.

Also, healing is not everyone's speed - certainly not mine. I now do it extensively on my solo-caster runs, out of necessity, but on my first-ever playthrough of RotR with 6 chars, I've maybe used healing once or twice in the whole game, just because I got a random Cure or something (and Kyra's 'healing' power was a huge waste of a power feat - you just can't afford to lose explores with 6 players). Basically, I prefer my characters self-sufficient and not *needing* healing in the first place, so I'd rather reserve my card slots for broader utility. (That being said, I do now have a party of 6 in Pathfinder Adventures, with Sajan within, and with couple of feats under his belt he's a perfect support - he's an opportunist that worships more than half a dozen deities, and so he always has just the *right* blessing for someone's check; and yes, he opened my eyes to the benefits of a Cure or two)

Edited by Longshot11
  • Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

I can't believe you didn't like Sajan! He can burn through blessings to explore. Once you get staffs of healing, Poog, and Father Zantos, this isn't much of a problem! Plus if you have a good healer (Lini) it doesn't matter much.

Additionally once your deck is smaller, you get better cards faster, like the blessing that gives you 2 dice for dex combat. I've dropped 3 of those on a check just for fun. KABAM!!

What I hated about him is that his combat checks are very unreliable. Not having that +X (from a weapon or melee modifier) hurts too much. Maybe later (around 17-20?) he becomes better, but until then trying to be consistent with him is a nightmare. With a hand size of 4, most of the time he has 2 blessings in hand. So after the free exploration he has to burn one blessing to explore again which leaves 1 blessing in his hand. If he finds an enemy, he recharges the second blessing and rolls 2 dice with no extra +X. Half the time in my games he failed to defeat the enemy because his rolls are terrible. If he doesn't get at least the average in both dice, chances are he will fail.

Something else that bothers me is that the 2 upgrades to his ability don't add even one +1. I know the Magic trait is important, but it is not needed all the time, and from what I have seen so far adding the fire trait does even less.

I know Poog is available only in the bundle, but right now I have bought everything there is to buy with gold, with the exception of 4 heroes (6k gold which I get for €2), so I don't plan on spending €27 for Poog. I hope they will release him at some point in another Deck, but if not, I guess I'll have to live without him.

• Like 1

Even then, this allowed me to save characters from certain death. Someone got hand-wiped off turn and were going to die on hand reset, and they were too far away from my only healer. Thankfully, Amiri was between them and saved the day once more, by pulling them close enough.

Actually this is a good reason to run Amiri. I didn't consider this option and I remember a few games where someone died because of the hand reset.

Sajan is the one I find hard to wrap my head around

To be fair, he's a slow starter (not to mention a bit boring as a one-trick pony). Without a weapon and no hard bonuses to combat, he basically HAS to recharge at least two blessings to reliably kill anything. And with a starting hand of 4, this doesn't leave you much else to work with.

Also, healing is not everyone's speed - certainly not mine. I now do it extensively on my solo-caster runs, out of necessity, but on my first-ever playthrough of RotR with 6 chars, I've maybe used healing once or twice in the whole game, just because I got a random Cure or something (and Kyra's 'healing' power was a huge waste of a power feat - you just can't afford to lose explores with 6 players). Basically, I prefer my characters self-sufficient and not *needing* healing in the first place, so I'd rather reserve my card slots for broader utility. (That being said, I do now have a party of 6 in Pathfinder Adventures, with Sajan within, and with couple of feats under his belt he's a perfect support - he's an opportunist that worships more than half a dozen deities, and so he always has just the *right* blessing for someone's check; and yes, he opened my eyes to the benefits of a Cure or two)

Sajan is the one I find hard to wrap my head around.i agree mostly with what you said about him. I do find myself hoarding his blessing because even with a minor staff of healing it doesn't keep up, and he recharge quite the bit to reliably defeat many banes. A horde or two will ruin his hand pretty fast. And I can't go around hoping to pull healing pots every scenario. When role cards and level avail itself to developing fully in his specialized role, I might give him a spin

Some great Amiri advice here! Of course this thread is titled 'Lini questions' so it may get overlooked by people it could benefit. I know I'm guilty of underestimating her powers as well. I think it's info valuable enough to repost in it's own thread in the Character Builds section.

• Like 1

Sajan is the one I find hard to wrap my head around.i agree mostly with what you said about him. I do find myself hoarding his blessing because even with a minor staff of healing it doesn't keep up, and he recharge quite the bit to reliably defeat many banes. A horde or two will ruin his hand pretty fast. And I can't go around hoping to pull healing pots every scenario. When role cards and level avail itself to developing fully in his specialized role, I might give him a spin

He was easy, though counter intuitive, you just need to actively burn cards. At first you need to baby him, until he gets healing of his own. Then load him up with Fist Amulets (x2), Spyglasses, and Healing Staffs, and healing Allies. Make sure to load him up with as many of the 2 die dex combat blessings as you can get.

Once you've done this (After adventure deck 1 or 2), you can burn through blessings to explore and not worry as much. While spending the BIG blessings for combat. Having those blessings is essentially the same as adding cards to your hand.

Once you upgrade your fists to magic you don't need the Magic Fist Amulet and can upgrade to the better versions that give you 1d6 or 1d8.

The hero I don't like at all is Sajan. I checked his powers and I noticed his Unarmed Strike does not receive +X as it gains levels. This pretty much killed any chance he had to be on any of my teams. He is extremely slow in exploring because if I burn all the blessing to explore, he becomes useless in combat. 

I treat him kind of like a wizard, I treat Blessing of Erastil? (dex based combat check) as his spells and the rest of blessings as explores. At level 22 in quest currently so for combat automatically recharging 1 blessing to get 3d10+2 is pretty huge until you find your weapon.  If you want to go for a massive alpha strike, Sajan is your man.

He was easy, though counter intuitive, you just need to actively burn cards. At first you need to baby him, until he gets healing of his own. Then load him up with Fist Amulets (x2), Spyglasses, and Healing Staffs, and healing Allies. Make sure to load him up with as many of the 2 die dex combat blessings as you can get.

Once you've done this (After adventure deck 1 or 2), you can burn through blessings to explore and not worry as much. While spending the BIG blessings for combat. Having those blessings is essentially the same as adding cards to your hand.

Once you upgrade your fists to magic you don't need the Magic Fist Amulet and can upgrade to the better versions that give you 1d6 or 1d8.

Except for the Fist Amulets all other cards you mention work well with any hero - who can work on their own without getting all non-spell healing themselves. Dedicating that many cards to make a weaker one-trick hero work as good as others is still counter intuitive for me.

True, but Sajan is great with mining through the deck and killing otherwise tough opponents. I have gone 4 rounds with Zeren with him easily before I had to tap in other characters. He can do more with fewer cards than any other character.

Your point that any other character can heal is valid, but most of Sajan's deck can be used to burn through the Location deck. Where other characters are healing armor, and items, and allies, Sajan is mostly healing more mining and damage. And since blessings aren't location specific like lots of spells, he can gift damage to any character.

• Like 1

Agreed.  Sajan can recharge his entire hand in a turn and be just as effective the next which also means he gets to use staff of healing a lot more often than other heroes.  Sure anyone can be self sufficient with them but IMO no one else can use them as effectively.  Ezren Seelah and Sajan has become my favorite team because of their turn efficiency.  I often corner the villian with 10-12 turns left after farming banes which means 3-4 rounds of bandit henchmen farming at the guard tower  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Agreed.  Sajan can recharge his entire hand in a turn and be just as effective the next which also means he gets to use staff of healing a lot more often than other heroes.  Sure anyone can be self sufficient with them but IMO no one else can use them as effectively.  Ezren Seelah and Sajan has become my favorite team because of their turn efficiency.  I often corner the villian with 10-12 turns left after farming banes which means 3-4 rounds of bandit henchmen farming at the guard tower  :biggrin:

Ditto. Healing Staff is great for him since he doesn't need to hold anything. I plop him at the Guard tower with an Amulet, recharge 1-2 blessings a turn to smash a bandit and the odd monster,  then farm the rest of the blessings out to aid my other characters. I gain MAD XP! The only time I gained more was when I was having the Junk Beach bug that made me encounter 8 poison traps AFTER already completing the location.

Now I wish I had named the topic "Lini, Amiri and Sajan Questions" as it is split pretty evenly between these 3 heroes. :)

I considered starting a Sajan topic, but I guess I'll keep posting here and treat it a team related topic,

since so many good suggestions have been posted already.

I spent the first power feat to increase his hand size. I just couldn't play with him having only 4 cards.

He seems to work a lot better now, but he is still missing healing options as I haven't been lucky with the boons I get.

The first skiil feat went to Dex. The second will probably go to Dex as well, although I might consider Wisdom.

Now I have to decide where to spend the card feat. I am thinking Weapon (bow, xbow) as the other options seem to have enough cards for now.

I thought a +1 to spells would be decent for him (maybe Cure), but then I saw all the suggestions about Healing staff and healing allies.

He will never be good enough with the recharge so a Cure will probably be a one shot thing, so I am not feeling comfortable throwing it there.

Edited by Narkon27

Now I have to decide where to spend the card feat. I am thinking Weapon (bow, xbow) as the other options seem to have enough cards for now.

I thought a +1 to spells would be decent for him (maybe Cure), but then I saw all the suggestions about Healing staff and healing allies.

He will never be good enough with the recharge so a Cure will probably be a one shot thing, so I am not feeling comfortable throwing it there.

He doesn't have the Divine skill so it will definitely be a one shot thing...it will get banished after use.

All good options.

I put all my skill points in Dex, then go to Wisdom

My first power went to make the punches magic, that way I didn't NEED to rely on the amulet to kill the shadows, spectres, and ghosts (then again if you don't get the C pack you won't have this problem as much), which essentially gives me another 2 item slots and another card in my hand (not holding the amulet). Then I start boosting hand size.

I split card feats evenly between items and blessings. He is great with the healing staff, the fist amulets (especially in 3 when they add 1d8!), and DEFINITELY Spyglasses and Khol's. Being able to look ahead and organize the cards is a BIG advantage for him, this way you aren't wasting blessings mining crap as much. The reason I add blessings is because they are his main source of awesome and I don't want to throw off the balance.

Eventually you will have to burn more blessings than healing staffs can handle, so that is why I rely on the allies, especially POOG, since he can be recharged to add damage, thus you don't have to carry him in the hand.

I want more POOG.

For Sajan I did weapon first because hes the only dex user in my party so he gets the Deathbane xbow.  If I haven't found the bow yet I don't mind a recharged ghost now and then in trade off for a larger hand size.  I think the spell slot for a 1 time cure is actually perfect, even if you roll a 1 at least you get to shuffle your deck.  From my experience with the physical card game items are just underwhelming and I actually tried opting out of adding an item to my deck when it was the last card feat available.

For Sajan I did weapon first because hes the only dex user in my party so he gets the Deathbane xbow.  If I haven't found the bow yet I don't mind a recharged ghost now and then in trade off for a larger hand size.  I think the spell slot for a 1 time cure is actually perfect, even if you roll a 1 at least you get to shuffle your deck.  From my experience with the physical card game items are just underwhelming and I actually tried opting out of adding an item to my deck when it was the last card feat available.

I forgot about the Divine requirement to recharge, so as chainsawash mentioned, he won't even try to roll after he plays the Cure.

I have quite the bad luck with Cures in this game as I always seem to roll 1+1 or 2+1 80% of the time.

If there is zero chance to replay it and half the time you recharge only 2-3 cards then it is hardly worth it as you will

have to find more reliable options for healing. In that case, +1 to items for 1 extra Healing Staff looks more decent.

After some thinking, I went for the weapon slot and gave him a Heavy crossbow. I have not regretted that decision.

He has been lucky so far and gets his weapon fairly soon for a 2D10+1. With a combat Dex blessing recharged he is a beast in combat.

On a different note, Lini has also been great lately (level 12). She is surprisingly fast in clearing locations,

especially if there are 2-3 blessings there waiting for her, and she doesn't meet difficult enemies on the way. 

Something I've been wondering about is the art from the Acid Arrow card. Is that Lini shooting the Arrow?

Isn't that a weird choice considering she can't recharge it and her Intelligence is only D6?

Edited by Narkon27

I forgot about the Divine requirement to recharge, so as chainsawash mentioned, he won't even try to roll after he plays the Cure.

I have quite the bad luck with Cures in this game as I always seem to roll 1+1 or 2+1 80% of the time.

If there is zero chance to replay it and half the time you recharge only 2-3 cards then it is hardly worth it as you will

have to find more reliable options for healing.

Something I've been wondering about is the art from the Acid Arrow card. Is that Lini shooting the Arrow?

Isn't that a weird choice considering she can't recharge it and her Intelligence is only D6?

Yeah I meant in conjuction with 2 healing staffs.  More item slots doesn't mean more staffs because you only get 2 and you don't want too many or you'll draw them when you don't have any cards in your discard (this has happened to me with just 2)  So the 1 time cure that you can replace after every adventure gives you 1 more heal that may get you a nice chunk but more importantly if you've just recharged both healing staffs to the bottom will let you shuffle your deck to move them back around.

Yeah we brought that up when we played the physical game, me especially because I was playing Lini with only 1 holy light for offense at the time.  Considering how = it was to force missile and lightning touch I argued the point it was clearly supposed to be a divine spell but had no takers.

When playing Sajan (the best character ever), I usually give him Father Zantus and Poog (if you have the promo cards). If he has one in hand and 5 in his discard, I use it. I also tend to pair him with casters (especially Ezren) and try to get 2 Agility spells to drop on him. Load up his blessings and ally feats (maybe take a weapon, especially one that recharges like Dagger +1). Most of your deck will then explore and destroy. And you heal yourself up and keep going.

• Like 1

Out of all the characters listed here, I feel that Amiri's move at the end of turn has the most strategic flexibility.    In addition to all the bullet points longbow posted here,  There are even more interesting shenanigans you can eventually do... like scout multiple locations with spyglass... or take off the pressure off your healers/almost dead healers, by fetching your character with the cure spell and bringing them to who needs healing, so that character can return back to the location they were at. Amiri can throw Harsk and Lem around when needed... there is just so much.   

Sajan, while is definitely a one trick pony, is good at what he does. It doesn't make him bad.  No character in this game is "bad" for better or worse.   The fact that he needs very specific items to be a monster at what he does is a testament to his one trick.  As other's have said... most of what people claim is good about Sajan, is even better on other characters most of the time.  I mean... ANY character with a Poog/Heals is going to be able to take advantage of it at some point, and often for the better.

In addition, playing in the app solo and playing the card game in real life are two different experiences.  In the app, you get to rerun things and farm over and over and over to get the perfect build.  Playing with real humans in real life (and I am guessing multiplayer), "farming" is not as fun to do. Sure you CAN do it, but I have never been part of a group that does do it, because, set-up eats so much time.  So a lot of characters have "potential" that never gets fully realized without a lot of luck on your side, which exasperates the whole "one trick pony" thing even more.   That separates characters like Amiri and Sajan even more in their usefulness, because Amiri's skills are useful from the very first quest, and Sajan on the other hand never really leaves his one trick pony land and gets that "perfect" deck.  And in fact, poog, IIRC, is even a promo card.  

Merisel is also a "one trick pony", but a much better one.   Merisel has to always be alone, and often cannot explore as fast due to how many items/weapons she holds, but has evade, which is even arguably more strategic than moving since if she finds the villian, she can often save you 10+ blessings by just evading him and keeping him pinned down.

Lini on the other hand... synergizes with both spells and animals, and has a built in d10 that can be used with any card.  So in theory, she should be super interesting.  However, in the base Pathfinder... animals and spells are pretty straight forward in what they do, which is why sometimes she feels pretty underwhelming, because there just are not that many interesting cards in the pool to do much outside of the box than "add +x or x to a check".   I feel later expansions do more with Allies and Items to make them at least potentially interesting.  

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 1

After playing a lot these last few days I finally got the Deathbane Light Crossbow (gave it to Sajan) and the Icy Longspear +1 (gave it to Lini). Lini is good, but when she is alone in a location she struggles when things get tough. I definitely have to find a second Holy Light soon. If I rememebr correctly, she has 1x Holy Light, 1x Inflict, 2x Cure, 1x Aid, 1x Augury(I love this one so much).

Btw, is there a way to check the cards in a character's deck before starting a quest? It sounds like something that would be obvious, but I can't find how. If it is not possible, then it is a very dumb omission from the creators' part.

I tried playing with Amiri, but I just can't get used to her. Perhaps she is more useful once she is able to move others, but right now, when I explore with her, most of the time I wish I had Valeros with me. With Valeros the first power feat was an easy choice. That was +1 to hand size for me because I hate the small hand size all ''fighters'' start with. With Amiri, the choice is more difficult. If I go for the Move Fast or the Rage upgrade, I have to wait until level 15 to upgrade her hand. If I go for the hand upgrade, I don't think I can play so many games with her at her current state. I think Valeros' and Amiri's melee buff (+3 and +2 respectively) should be swapped to make them somewhat equal.

I also started playing with Ezren. It was a slow start with him, but when I send him to the Academy he is a beast. A couple of times he closed the Academy in the first turn. As for the spells he carries, 2x Force Missile, 2x Lightning Touch, 1x Acid Arrow, 1x Stride, 1x Mirror Image, 1x Detect Magic. My only complaint so far is that his upgrade options are very boring. For the first one, Eldritch Exuberance was the only choice that made sense, as will probably be the case with the second one as well. For his first card feat, I am thinking an extra ally to help with exploration or an additional spell. I am not thinking extra item for now because those I have are not that good anyway so I can replace any of them. Amulet of Life would be great, but unless I am mistaken there is only 1 and I have it on Lini. Hmm, maybe I should give it to him as he can't heal at all.

As for Sajan, he is awesome when he gets his Deathbane crossbow early, but I don't want to turn him into a warrior, so for his next card feat I will definitely go with +1 to spells and give him a Cure because he has died twice so far. :( I still think I like Merisiel more than Sajan as she is more dependable against traps and her Evade is insane. Ilsoari Gandethus' synergy with Meri is amazing. Yes, you waste a hand slot each turn for him, but knowing what comes next is always great, and she can always evade The Sandpoint Devil is she ever rolls a 1.

Edited by Narkon27

The first time I read Ezren I thought his powers were pretty lame as well and avoided him but after playing him I realize its was because his stock power is already so good..  After you get haste you have 2 explores in your deck that recharge themselves (and you draw a card for casting it) and almost all of the boons become magic which are potential explores.  So really the only thing you need is to guarantee you don't fail to recharge.

I jumped back to my Kyra/Meri save after spending a few weeks playing Lini/Sajan and it felt like being shot in the foot. While Kyra has a good Power for being a healer, she couldn't recharge a bag of crap without a god's blessing, and without a spell in hand she sucks at damage.

I have realized a sad thing. Partway through 3 I will have run out of things to spend power points on for Lini, and will be forced to take either Weapons or Armor. :( So ends my Weaponless/Armorless campaign.

I think I am going to delete Kyra/Meri and start a new Lini/Sajan/Meri. The only bad part is Sajan and Meri will compete for Blessings and Allies.

@Obsidian: Any chance we can get an AWESOME promo spell that lets us heal allies from a different location?