Ezren, Evoker -questions on force expertise

Thinking ahead to the role cards specialization, I have these questions for ezren's force expertise power

1) if he has the power "Electricity and fire expertise" activated, will it give the bonus to check on recharging and acquiring spell cards with the 2 traits. There is no mention of it specifically applying to combat check.

2) if he has the same power activated, when throwing a lightning bolt and then using a flask of fire to apply fire trait, will he get 2 or 4 bonus to his arcane check?

1)  As far as I know, recharging and acquiring checks don't have traits.  (If we ever get cards talking about "invoking" traits, then acquiring checks will qualify, but neither of these checks "have" traits.)

2)  Nope.  You add 2 to the check that meets that qualification, even if it's over-qualified.  8)

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

1. If you can find a way to get the Force trait on your recharge check, it would apply. But simply recharging a card like Force Missile doesn't give the recharge check the Force trait. His power does apply when you play Wand of Force Missile though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. So what I understand with it is recharging or acquiring cards doesn't have trait involved even if said card has the requisite elemental or force trait. The traits only apply , in ezren case with this power, when playing the cards in combat check ?

As for 2) I get it, and Ina further question on it can I assume if ezren get expertise for force, and then electricity and fire( that's 2 separate power ) using a flask of force on a lightning bolt should net him +4 on his combat arcane check ?

That's actually all one power.  "Add 2 to your Arcane check with the Force ( or Acid and Cold) ( or Electricity and
Fire) trait(s)."  It's just tougher to see in the game display.

The best way to think of it is that everything within oblong rectangular box is one power.  It applies once to a given situation.

• Like 1

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

Abit of an off tangent but I'll add this question here since its to do with trait.

How are immunities in monster dealt with, in cases where the combat check have multiple trait present ?

Eg, lamatar Bayden is immune to cold , poison, . I decide to throw my only spell frozen Ray at it but augmented with a flask of fire. Will lamatar be standing and smirking still or will he obliterated by magical cold fire?

If the app works the same as the card game, once you give the check a trait that the monster is immune to, he becomes immune to the whole thing. Like with the cold immune guy, if you were to throw in some card from another character that adds +1d4 and the cold trait to the check, you'd be making him immune to all of it not just the one die that was added with the cold trait.

• Like 1

Like with the cold immune guy, if you were to throw in some card from another character that adds +1d4 and the cold trait to the check, you'd be making him immune to all of it not just the one die that was added with the cold trait.

More precisely, you shouldn't be *able* to play that card that adds the forbidden trait, so you can't screw your own check, just because you weren't paying attention.

In Rhygar's example - no, you won't be able to play Frost Ray at all in the first place, let alone augmenting it with fire.

• Like 3

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Like with the cold immune guy, if you were to throw in some card from another character that adds +1d4 and the cold trait to the check, you'd be making him immune to all of it not just the one die that was added with the cold trait.

More precisely, you shouldn't be *able* to play that card that adds the forbidden trait, so you can't screw your own check, just because you weren't paying attention.

In Rhygar's example - no, you won't be able to play Frost Ray at all in the first place, let alone augmenting it with fire.

Youre right of course, not sure what I was thinking.

For immunities you may not play cards with the specified trait, use powers that would add that trait to the check, or roll dice with that trait during the encounter. If you somehow play a card before encountering the card (Toxic Cloud) we just pretend Toxic Cloud was never played.

If you play multiple cards that add traits to the check the previous traits are not replaced. So you cannot override the ice trait by playing something else that adds a different trait to the check.

For immunities you may not play cards with the specified trait, use powers that would add that trait to the check, or roll dice with that trait during the encounter. If you somehow play a card before encountering the card (Toxic Cloud) we just pretend Toxic Cloud was never played.

If you play multiple cards that add traits to the check the previous traits are not replaced. So you cannot override the ice trait by playing something else that adds a different trait to the check.

By pretending the card toxic cloud was never played do you mean that the 1d6 will be removed from the screen upon meeting a plague zombie as an example ?

Pretty much. Or, more accurately, the d6 just won't show up during that encounter, since the dice don't just sit on your screen waiting for an encounter. They show up when they apply, and if the bane is immune to Posion, the d6 from an "in play" Toxic Cloud won't show up during a combat check.

• Like 2