Josh Sawyer Pillars of Eternity 2 Tease Thread

Another thread that sidetracked heavily. You log to see any updates in PoE 2 teases or whatever and you scroll through posts of ongoing conversation on how everyone feels the sequel should go. Not that it isn't interesting but could it not have its own seperate thread thread? :(

Good point, I'll try to avoid going off topic.

• Like 2

If the current companions are going to be in Pillars 2 I'd much rather Obs came up with their own canon, rather than taking into account different players decisions as in Mass effect/DA. Problem with that route is the story really suffers and it it becomes a mess.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

If the current companions are going to be in Pillars 2 I'd much rather Obs came up with their own canon, rather than taking into account different players decisions as in Mass effect/DA. Problem with that route is the story really suffers and it it becomes a mess.

Its certainly additional workload for the devs, maybe restrictive in some ways but as I said above Bioware handled it well with Mass Effect(not so well with DAO with all dat retconning and unrelated stories between games) and the infamous Mass Effect 3's greatest moments were those connected story arcs concluding, And in Obs' latest work these pre-decisions implemented even when there is no previous game :D

It can become a mess if it isn't done well. If its done well, it adds to the value of the franchise/to each game f.i. If I'm to replay Mass Effect, I replay the whole series not just the latest game.

• Like 1

I'd much rather they take different players decisions into account. I'd rather the choices I make matter--that they effect the story and game world--than just play through some dudes personal "THIS IS HOW THE STORY GOES" power trip.

• Like 3

I'd much rather they take different players decisions into account. I'd rather the choices I make matter--that they effect the story and game world--than just play through some dudes personal "THIS IS HOW THE STORY GOES" power trip.

Absolutely.  I can't take another Mass Effect 3.  I was utterly devastated with how the trilogy ended.  It was like "Hey you know those hundreds of hours you put into the previous game?  Yeah none of that matters.  Red, Green, Blue.  Choose."  I'm really hoping PoE2 turns out to be the next Baldur's Gate 2.  The game that people will be talking about for decades.  I believe it has the potential and I am totally willing to crowdfund the project but that also means the events in PoE1 & 2 need to matter.  Even if we are not our watcher but have to start as the next reincarnation of the watcher I want our previous decisions to have impacted the world.  Like if the player chose to release the Master Below, yeah that is going to have world impacting consequences.  Maybe good, likely bad but something with that much power released into the world is definitely going to have an impact.  I'd also like to be able to transfer over if not all, a few of the items the watcher acquired in PoE1.  Like perhaps Eder/Aloth/Pallengina etc are searching out the watcher to give him/her her equipment so that when they touch it they remember their past life.

Edited by Bennyandthejets

Absolutely.  I can't take another Mass Effect 3.  I was utterly devastated with how the trilogy ended.  It was like "Hey you know those hundreds of hours you put into the previous game?  Yeah none of that matters.  Red, Green, Blue.  Choose."  

That's another matter. ME3's case wasn't a "THIS IS HOW THE STORY GOES" power trip. it was rather a "THIS IS HOW WE F'd UP THE ENDING"  power trip. Otherwise ME1-2 choices did matter in ME3 but none of them mattered in the end.

PoE also ended like ME3(with a list of choices) but it was much more climactic and more connected to the story so far/earlier commitments in the game; also the main ending is not dat big a deal in most Obs games with epilogues for most other characters, places etc.

Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2 endings are better examples of "how it should be" IMO. In Witcher 3 the ending started to shape itself well before and last mission/latest dialogue choices wasn't even capable to change anything. In ME2, both the last mission and loyalty missions -at any point in the game, however binary they may be - shaped the ending.

Aaand I remembered Witcher 2 now that I think about endings; most decisions at any point in the game mattered in the end, it was more complex than either W3 or Mass Effect 2 endings despite more linear shape of the game, too bad the ending states got streamlined to death for W3 and for this reason (now returning to derailment of topic #1: save-import) if I'm to replay Witcher, I'd replay an individual game(most likely either W1 or W3) not the whole series unlike Mass Effect. Witcher 2 lost its value; it was a big F'ing prologue where kings died and [seemingly] big deal and complex decisions made which made my mouth watered just to think about how all dat would play out in the coming war but it got reduced to a ground zeroes level to an mgs v.

Absolutely.  I can't take another Mass Effect 3.  I was utterly devastated with how the trilogy ended.  It was like "Hey you know those hundreds of hours you put into the previous game?  Yeah none of that matters.  Red, Green, Blue.  Choose."  I'm really hoping PoE2 turns out to be the next Baldur's Gate 2.  The game that people will be talking about for decades.  I believe it has the potential and I am totally willing to crowdfund the project but that also means the events in PoE1 & 2 need to matter.  Even if we are not our watcher but have to start as the next reincarnation of the watcher I want our previous decisions to have impacted the world.  Like if the player chose to release the Master Below, yeah that is going to have world impacting consequences.  Maybe good, likely bad but something with that much power released into the world is definitely going to have an impact.  I'd also like to be able to transfer over if not all, a few of the items the watcher acquired in PoE1.  Like perhaps Eder/Aloth/Pallengina etc are searching out the watcher to give him/her her equipment so that when they touch it they remember their past life.

But Baldur's Gate 2 didn't do this either...

• Like 1

But Baldur's Gate 2 didn't do this either...

Indeed, Shadows of Amn ignored your choices in Baldur's Gate. Did you love Montaron and Xzar and hate Khalid and Jaheira? Not according to SoA. I really hope you didn't have Xan or Alora as a major part of your party in BG since (unless I am remembering incorrectly) they don't even have a cameo in SoA.

• Like 1

Indeed, Shadows of Amn ignored your choices in Baldur's Gate. Did you love Montaron and Xzar and hate Khalid and Jaheira? Not according to SoA. I really hope you didn't have Xan or Alora as a major part of your party in BG since (unless I am remembering incorrectly) they don't even have a cameo in SoA.

Xan and Branwen had a cameo in the tutorial of BG2.  I think Alora showed up in short sidequest/cameo where she didn't even have a portrait, and did not necessarily act like she knew you.  I also think she dies like 5 minutes after showing up :p.  So it was easy to miss it.

Based off the given teases. How would you all feel about Edér being the playable character in the sequel?

An Eder spin-off could be fun.

He would be a good western character. "And the bad guys found that Reverand Eder from the Eothas parish was in reality a retired hero..."

Xan and Branwen had a cameo in the tutorial of BG2.  I think Alora showed up in short sidequest/cameo where she didn't even have a portrait, and did not necessarily act like she knew you.  I also think she dies like 5 minutes after showing up :p.  So it was easy to miss it.

I hope Xan told us how vane our quest was :D

• Like 3

I hope Xan told us how vane our quest was :D

I am pretty sure he did.  I was actually really let down, he was one of my favorite BG1 characters despite his crappy build.

Same here, Xan was an interesting character, that's why even the most overpowered badass will not be as satisfying as a well written one.

So I heard there's this BG2 mod bringing Xan back, and they say it's quite good compared to other crappy mods. I'm going to give it a try in my next run.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

New Info : https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/817190655487156225

Working on translating the words beneath the alphabet but it's hard because it's a new language! I think the Aedyran words read : "afyllath uea midh fyr" definitely Eld Aedyran but I don't know what it means.

Pretty sure it's the title of a chanter phrase, but I cannot remember which one...

• Like 1

New Info : https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/817190655487156225

Working on translating the words beneath the alphabet but it's hard because it's a new language! I think the Aedyran words read : "afyllath uea midh fyr" definitely Eld Aedyran but I don't know what it means.

Pretty sure it's the title of a chanter phrase, but I cannot remember which one...

Impressive memory: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Aefyllath_Ues_Mith_Fyr

• Like 1