Josh Sawyer Pillars of Eternity 2 Tease Thread

I'm going to guess their internal timetables depend on budget, staffing, market concerns, and a number of factors that don't include their actual forums.

Are you suggesting that OE isn't running their business according to the demands of random people on the internet? How dare you!

Well, yes, but I'm also suggesting that the timetable might be, to a degree, out of the hand of the team.

It's also likely they're going to partially crowdfund this title, in which case the timetable from announcement to release won't be short. Which might be a good thing, as short announcement to release windows seem to work better for titles with a sizable budget and expensive marketing campaigns, two things PoE2 will most likely lack.

Since I tend to feel seasick in real life, I never thought I'd travel on a boat in RPGs, but I like the concept as long as there aren't too many pirates around. That theme is a bit cliché by now! Also, in the first chapter we already met

THE KRAKEN!

so which legendary monster can we expect this time?

Devs are keeping an eye on this thread? More teasing pleaaase... and kickstarter soon, hopefully! :blush:

• Like 1

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

We'll be fighting epic sea monsters, scuba diving for exotic treasures, sailing on our own yachthold, epic ship battles, probably equipped with spells that create tsunamis and cyclones, underwater cave exploration, dolphins, joining pirate factions or fighting them, discovering new worlds with exotic aboriginies, genocide, mermaids and mermen, hot but not too humid weather conditions, whales that might be friendly and used to help fight but also shy ones that don't trust you at first, exploring ship wrecks 10 leagues below the surface, potions that let you swim under water for extended periods of time and also mermaids that give you oxygen that could be misconstrued as sexual advances.

• Like 3

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?

Hahah, you're right. I work as a market analyst, so I'm used to people's opinion in forums and social network being transformed into numbers and reports that represent the "consumer sentiment" etc. But I guess Obsidian is not that big a company (nor that kind o' company) to consider fan demand for their schedule.

Well as a person who refused to discuss his job in any real way online lets just say I have.... similar requirements in mine.  I would say it has a lot less to do with the size of their company, and considerably more to do with these three things. 

1: Forums are too small a sample size, the vast majority of the people who play their games either don't know this forum exists or will never participate on it.  Even if you added steam forums, the now sparse kickstarter comment section, and other social media it still might not be enough to validate the effort and cost.

2: I feel like they have enough experience making this type of game that their finger is pretty much already on the pulse of fan expectations versus what actually works in an isometric RPG.

3: They can always use critical reception and fan reviews of POE 1 to do this research at this point.  No need to look for additional sources, and reviews are likely to contain a better analysis of what worked versus what didn't than random forum posts will.

• Like 2

I feel like you could get an adequate sample size, if you included the codex users aswell. : ) You might need to do a few different tests to identify outliers etc. in the data thou. ^_^

Nah that would make it worse.  It isn't just about sample size, it is also about bias.  This is why you should never trust poll data at face value or based on sample size.  RPGCodex is extremely biased about Eternity, so their data wouldn't be particularly useful and would likely skew the results.  This is why the best market research is blind, and or comes from someone who doesn't care one way or the other.  Because they have nothing invested in their answer, they will answer honestly.

• Like 4

I feel like you could get an adequate sample size, if you included the codex users aswell. : ) You might need to do a few different tests to identify outliers etc. in the data thou. ^_^

Nah that would make it worse.  It isn't just about sample size, it is also about bias.  This is why you should never trust poll data at face value or based on sample size.  RPGCodex is extremely biased about Eternity, so their data wouldn't be particularly useful and would likely skew the results.  This is why the best market research is blind, and or comes from someone who doesn't care one way or the other.  Because they have nothing invested in their answer, they will answer honestly.

I meant it as a joke. I guess I'm just horrible at execution. :) I'm a statistics major myself, so that's probably a bad sign. Using the codex as data about PoE made me chuckle abit thou, so I tried to be funny. ^_^

• Like 4

I meant it as a joke. I guess I'm just horrible at execution. :) I'm a statistics major myself, so that's probably a bad sign. Using the codex as data about PoE made me chuckle abit thou, so I tried to be funny. ^_^

Oh don't worry my reply was serious but I laughed when I read it ;)

• Like 1

Also, in the first chapter we already met

THE KRAKEN!

so which legendary monster can we expect this time?

Leviathan.

Polpovir

Spoiler for PoE 2?

polpovir.png

Seems like more complex drowners(man-sized, strength in numbers) rather than a "legendary" monster.

In other news: https://www.instagram.com/p/BN-ZCIwgStL/

So is the next stronghold a ship or an island? Or both? -not that a wrecked slaver ship full of dynamites in the middle of an island.

Edited by Quillon
  • Like 1

You want a legendary sea monster based on sheer number ?

Try Red Tides.

For more "big ones", sea snake, sea dragon, island turtle.

Why not giant sea worms, Lovecraftian lampreys, abyssal fishes ?

And of course the delicious titanic lobster !

And the mesmerizing giant chromatic sea slug.

Flying stuff like Rukhs also works for boat adventures.