Josh Sawyer Pillars of Eternity 2 Tease Thread

I guess we're going to get our own ship.

With 15 levels of below deck adventure into the deep blue.

Joke's aside I'm excited. Navigating the game map with a ship, crew management, illustrated sea battles/boarding combat. And we shouldn't have to be both the captain & helmsman. Captain Watcher!

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I'm on Twitter and follow Sawyer, so I suppose I'm part of the problem. But it's still a weird part of celebrity culture that trickled down to non-celebrities, and some people definitely take it to extremes (seemingly not on these forums, thankfully.)

Regarding these forums (I cannot know what is going on elsewere), twitter links have to do with information about Pillars and and anything relating to it; not personal stuff about the devs. I am also certain that the devs put these info out on twitter so to be shared, so I don't believe we interfere with their personal life - at least not more that they want.

Personally, I follow some developers on twitter because I want to know stuff about their work. Some of them are very talkative and mostly tweet random stuff that I don't care about and don't even bother to read or follow their links etc. But if I see something interesting regarding Pillars, I will post it here. A much reasonable place to share, no?

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

Just to keep things in perspective, the gameplay teaser for PoE was released roughly 15 months before the release of the game. So... yeah.

Well we also have to be fair and realize work on Eternity 2 probably started shortly after most of the work was completed on White March, if not slightly before then.  So there should be a better turn around hopefully.

• Like 1

As Karkarov said, I'm sure they have been busy with Pillars 2 for a long time already, but even so it's probably about a year away. Which is pretty good from a rational point of view. But I want it NOW damnit!

• Like 3

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I mean, the reason I referenced the gameplay teaser specifically is that it came from a time they were far enough into development to show a bunch of areas that would end in the final game with very small changes (Heritage Hill, an early version of Ondra's Gift, a bunch of Engwithan ruins, the vertical slice areas) and creatures and combat.

That's about where I'd expect development to be right now, especially when you consider that the team likely couldn't start working on the sequel full-speed until they were done with the expansions.

• Like 1

I hope it's longer than the first. Even though I got 90 hours, I feel like there should be more. Some things I'd like to see: denser cities, maybe something like a city that is built underground (like Menzobaerrzon or the under city of baldurs gate). Larger maps, factions or guilds that have more quests, an astral realm that can be explored maybe during death (say you make a pact with an other worldly denizen and you have to make your way back to the living realms), more random npcs that you meet in the wilds (baldurs gate had a lot of these). Maybe 90 hours is enough but for me it went by way to fast!

• Like 1

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?

Let's not start rushing them, please. A masterpiece takes a good amount of time and care to be made, y'all know that. I'd rather wait 4 more years if that's what it takes. There's a bunch of other games to play and things to do, there's not even enough time to play them all, nor least waiting impatiently for any...  

• Like 2

Let's not start rushing them, please. A masterpiece takes a good amount of time and care to be made, y'all know that. I'd rather wait 4 more years if that's what it takes. There's a bunch of other games to play and things to do, there's not even enough time to play them all, nor least waiting impatiently for any...  

I don't believe a bunch of geeks' eagerness to play a Pillars game will rush them. They'll have their schedule :p

• Like 1

I'm going to guess their internal timetables depend on budget, staffing, market concerns, and a number of factors that don't include their actual forums.

Are you suggesting that OE isn't running their business according to the demands of random people on the internet? How dare you!

• Like 2

I don't believe a bunch of geeks' eagerness to play a Pillars game will rush them. They'll have their schedule :p

Hahah, you're right. I work as a market analyst, so I'm used to people's opinion in forums and social network being transformed into numbers and reports that represent the "consumer sentiment" etc. But I guess Obsidian is not that big a company (nor that kind o' company) to consider fan demand for their schedule.

Anyway, my point is. If we really want PoE2 to be as best as it can be, it will take some time. And if the inevitable hype (for you guys, I'm imune to hype XD) will start building as soon as the first official teaser is out, then I think it's better if it drops later in development, closer to release date (which should be more than just one year from now, seriously).

Enjoy the dark, folks. Think all these Josh's teases are actually from a pen&paper project he's making or whatever, and go get distracted (I worry about your health, that's all, XD). 

• Like 1

Masterpieces don't always have to take that long. BG2 released only two years after BG.

I don't know what are the purpose of LuccA's posts other than mockery; in any case, I don't believe anyone here thinks the sequel will be out any time soon (pesonally I believe 1.5-2 years from now). That doesen't mean we don't want to know how the designers will approach the game early on. Yeah, we'll get our hype fix when they reveal it and they we'll probably go about our busyness until it's out. Maybe toss a few oppinions here and there if the game goes crowdfunding and the devs provide regular updates as they did with vanilla.

As for masterpieces and if want it to be good, I doubt any1 wants to have a haf-assed game released sooner than needed just to quench their hype thirst; but, in any case, Pillars has a strong foundation - it's not that they'll have to do it all over again. This saves time.

• Like 2