Josh Sawyer Pillars of Eternity 2 Tease Thread

Some recent SA posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post461992550

There were a lot of limitations to how AI worked in PoE. It's something we'd like to entirely overhaul for the future. Giving players more power to set up/conditionalize AI is a big part of that.

I've written this before, but we'd also like to slow down the overall pace of combat. I think that the Slow Combat mode is really where the default combat speed should have been.

There are also various rendering techniques we can use to make combat more readable. PoE's visual effects were often blown out due to how they rendered.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 3

Some recent SA posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post461992550

There were a lot of limitations to how AI worked in PoE. It's something we'd like to entirely overhaul for the future. Giving players more power to set up/conditionalize AI is a big part of that.

I've written this before, but we'd also like to slow down the overall pace of combat. I think that the Slow Combat mode is really where the default combat speed should have been.

There are also various rendering techniques we can use to make combat more readable. PoE's visual effects were often blown out due to how they rendered.

Sounds like Josh is going for the DAO system for AI.  I could be wrong.  IF they can hit that mark then it is a good thing.  The AI scripts were the most positive innovation of DAO, IMHO.

Also, yes to slowing combat down a bit.  It will improve things a great deal. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/149367500041/are-you-going-with-a-canon-ending-for-pillars-of

Are you going with a "canon ending" for Pillars of Eternity?

For a sequel, we would incorporate as many of the player’s PoE1 choices as possible.

Just saw that post. That is VERY promising. I am very happy with that tease! BG 2 style sequel, you heard it here first! ^_^

• Like 1

BG 2 style sequel, you heard it here first! ^_^

Not really, no. First of all, BG2 didn't really incorporate much of anything from BG1 - it reacted to PC having some items, but that's about it. Secondly, events of Pillars of Eternity were both major for entire Eora and for a lot of minor characters, so either can be reflected in a sequel without actually using the same main character. (lore books describing effects of decisions player has made at the end, player meeting NPCs who have personally met the legendary Watcher, that kind of stuff.)

Edited by Fenixp

"Hu2n2" and "nga.ahi.whakamoe"? What does it mean? :blink:

-suffix.-fire.-sleeping / marriage / traditional lore...

Kana Roa something?

edit: It's Maori. Knew it the moment I got Whakamoe. Actually a fascinating culture that one, shame there are no games based around them-except Pillars' acronym brother-Path of Exile.

Edited by hrwd

Kana Roa something?

edit: It's Maori. Knew it the moment I got Whakamoe. Actually a fascinating culture that one, shame there are no games based around them-except Pillars' acronym brother-Path of Exile.

Deadfire Archipelago? Josh twitted about that.

Edited by White Phoenix
  • Like 1

Kana Roa something?

Deadfire Archipelago? Josh twitted about that.

Well...Sleeping Fire could be translated as "Deadfire" sure. I am just not certain where you find "Archipelago" in "Nga Ahi Whakamoe".

But I wouldn't link Deadfire to Maori...that'd be Rauatai imo. It is the homeland of Aumaua after all.