Gameplay Tweak - Potions

I realize the game is pretty set in real life and it's gone through lots of playtesting and balancing so forgive me if this is a short sighted suggestion.

I think potions are a very cool flavor part of the game.  You have a potion of glibness that lets you quaff a consumable that allows you to talk so smoothly to that aristocrat that he joins you.  But I hate holding something in my hand potentially all game that may not get used.

I think potions would be much more relevant if it was banish on use and display next to your deck to automatically succeed at your next related check.  There would still be a level of strategy to playing it because you might want to hold it for a location close but otherwise every time you get a cool potion you chugalug and move on and reap the benefits of your boon without bogging down your hand.

But in the Pathfinder game, Potions have a duration.  So unless you banish them at the end of the turn, your suggestion almost over-powers them.  You only quaff a potion when you NEED it.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

I would be fine with an "until the end of your next turn" or at very least end of this turn modifier.  At the moment, I'm changing my die rolled to give my self the highest rate of failure to just not have it in my deck so anything would be better than that.

Edited by delpheki

Yeah I liked Damiel a lot but I thought S&S lacked a lot of polish.  I considered that Damiel and Sajan's drunken master would be negatively impacted by this change but I think both abilities are primarily for potion of healing and potion of haste anyways.

I would be fine with an "until the end of your next turn" or at very least end of this turn modifier.  At the moment, I'm changing my die rolled to give my self the highest rate of failure to just not have it in my deck so anything would be better than that.

Potions are annoying and useless...  Until you need one.  That's part of the strategy of the game.  Personally, if I don't use them before the end of the game, I ditch them pretty much every time (unless my other items REALLY suck).

Sounds like you would love to play Damiel, he is a character in the next adventure path.

http://static1.paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderACG/PZO6011-DamielFront.jpg

Or Drunken Master Sajan!  He should unlock sometime today!!!

• Like 2

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."