The Angry Video Game Nerd vs. The World

Meshugger

....all the guy said was that he wasn't going to watch the new Ghostbusters movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8X2A7wHyQ

Edited by Gorth
Removed direct link (too much **** text)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Boring at this point

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Boring at this point

Well, It's the current year with elbowing PM's on the loose after all.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

He's fine to not be interested in it. Though while looking up what this crap is about did come across one rather mean tweet

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/732599073723850752

One of the replies near the top.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He's fine to not be interested in it. Though while looking up what this crap is about did come across one rather mean tweet

I had to look her up as i had no idea on the context. Is it this perhaps? http://namebrandlindsay.com/2011/06/22/ethical-storytelling-or-why-i-did-it/

She basically had an abortion in order to create a documentary about abortion. Oh wow, now that tweet makes sense, pretty brutal.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I've heard it isn't very funny, which would make me lose interest.

It is so weird to me that youtube personalities are a thing, and when people get upset about them, they express that by driving up traffic to their videos, which in turn makes them more profitable.  

• Like 3

This reaction to his video is pretty mind boggling, but it is just some loud angry minority. Just look the video's likes and dislikes.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I've heard it isn't very funny, which would make me lose interest.

I found the second trailer be slightly better than the first, but it's still pretty meh.  

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Eh. The guy basically does the "I have huge nostalgia for the original and the trailer of the new one doesn't look great. It feels like a cash grab, and it annoys me they're just slapping the same name on it rather than a fresh one. So I have no plans to watch it, and thus I won't be reviewing it."  - Of course, being a web personality he takes nearly seven minutes to explain it.

From that, the internet forms an interesting barrage of outrage. Either it's the "look at the nerd wax nostalgic without even giving it a chance" , "it's because he's anti-feminist and its got women in" and a few based on the "you're saying its bad without seeing it. the trailer doesn't count."

Overall, it does seem a rather bizarre collection of seething hate.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

But then again so does the bizarre collection of seething hate for the very existence of this movie. So all in all, people on the internet prove Sturgeon's law is a much too generous estimate.

Don't be harsh on people not liking it. Money grab boom of remakes in Holywood is now through the roof and people complain about it. No problem with me

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

...or the film is incredibly bland (=bad) that it is a calculated risk to manufacture an outrage for possible higher returns. But that would of course require coordination among the press, which we all know is quite impossible.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

But then again so does the bizarre collection of seething hate for the very existence of this movie. So all in all, people on the internet prove Sturgeon's law is a much too generous estimate.

Don't be harsh on people not liking it. Money grab boom of remakes in Holywood is now through the roof and people complain about it. No problem with me

I just classify that as dislike. Seething hate is somewhat different. I can't be bothered to make a nice little montage like the one Mesh posted though.

EDIT: Seriously though, I've got no real beef with this movie. Yes, it looks awful, so I won't see it and I'll pop in ye olde DVD of the original instead, which will still be just as good. Consider my childhood intact an unmolested.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

I don't have a seething hate for it. But the trailer hasn't impressed me. It's very much on a "eh, when it gets around to being free on Amazon Prime I'll probably see what its like."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It is so weird to me that youtube personalities are a thing, and when people get upset about them, they express that by driving up traffic to their videos, which in turn makes them more profitable.  

Spot on.

The guy's other actual reviews for big titles (TFA, Batman v. Superman) have ~350k views, with ~7-8k likes. His Ghostbusters "non-review"? >800k views, 48k likes. Lol, what?

There may be other ways to get huge traffic spikes on your pop culture channel than appealing to the current 'SJW' controversy, but I don't know what those would be.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

SJW Nazis being SJW Nazis. Gamergaters being Gamergaters.

As for new GB. the problem isn't that it is female GB. I lvoe plenty of films with female leads. Hell, people are excited for Suicide Squad and that movie's hype is being pushed by the female star. Alien was made decades ago with a strong female led and males love that movie and series. But, yeah,  males hate movies with female elads. NO LOGIC.

The problem with the new GB movie is it looks like crap and they chose the wrong group if female actresses to do it (imo). I won't watch it for the same reason I didn't watch Civil War. It looks like garbage.

That said, new GB has company in remakes I loathe thanks to  previews. The new MacGuyver remake looks absolutely dreadful. I remember hearing that theyw er eoriginally going to go with a female  MacGuyver... well.. if the new male MacGuyver was the best actor they could get for it... they would have been better off with getting a talented female MacGuyver because this male one is plain and simply awful. I must hate him because I am sexist males. RIGHT? RIGHT.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I just classify that as dislike. Seething hate is somewhat different. I can't be bothered to make a nice little montage like the one Mesh posted though.

EDIT: Seriously though, I've got no real beef with this movie. Yes, it looks awful, so I won't see it and I'll pop in ye olde DVD of the original instead, which will still be just as good. Consider my childhood intact an unmolested.

Yup, pretty much. Comedy trailers usually contain some of the funnier moments, and these trailers haven't caused me to crack a smile. I will just watch the first two movies in 4k on my home tv come launch day, and for the rest of my life.

I need to get all the episodes of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, though.

The 'hate' for the trailer wouldn't exists if not for the back and forth around it.

There may be other ways to get huge traffic spikes on your pop culture channel than appealing to the current 'SJW' controversy, but I don't know what those would be.

I don't think that was his goal.

• Like 1

I had to look her up as i had no idea on the context. Is it this perhaps? http://namebrandlindsay.com/2011/06/22/ethical-storytelling-or-why-i-did-it/

She basically had an abortion in order to create a documentary about abortion. Oh wow, now that tweet makes sense, pretty brutal.

As I understand it, she made a documentary about abortion because she had decided to have an abortion and noticed that none of the documentaries that exist about the topic ever seemed to be from the perspective of someone who'd made that decision.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The guy is like Tom Petty, he won't back down.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The guy is like Tom Petty, he won't back down.

He did say in his previous video that he was going to make this one.

As for the thread issue....

I don't see any anger from the guy, nor is he talking about a video game. The new Ghostbusters represents pretty much everything that is wrong in Hollywood this last decade or two. Twitter is for morons or those that would lead them somewhere.

Edited by Valsuelm

I believe Angry Video Game Nerd is the name of his channel.

We all know Valsuelm never watches YouTube videos.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands