Should the UK leave the EU?

BruceVC

Maybe the idea of UK MPs trying to do work, scares him? Though they can't be THAT bad.

I can understand skepticism towards them. As it seems that nobody has plan what to do now, not even people organized referendum in first place or people that campaigned for this result.

Maybe the idea of UK MPs trying to do work, scares him? Though they can't be THAT bad.

I can understand skepticism towards them. As it seems that nobody has plan what to do now, not even people organized referendum in first place or people that campaigned for this result.

Kind of funny at this point.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog Jun 24

.@andylevy a British version of John Oliver would be a nightly BBC show with Larry the Cable Guy talking about how bad Britain sucks

David Burge Retweeted

Eddy Elfenbein ‏@EddyElfenbein Jun 23

The future is on the wrong side of history.

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog Jun 24

Holy crap, we've raised an entire generation who are terrified of not being ruled over.

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog Jun 25

Let's all pray that Britain doesn't descend into Norwegian or Swiss-style anarchy

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog Jun 26

.@jpodhoretz these Brexit people with their paranoid delusions of an anti-democratic EU are obviously too crazy to be allowed to vote.

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog 2h2 hours ago

If history teaches us anything, Germany only has Britain's best interests at heart.

I didn't think it was possible to have worse hair than Trump, but Boris comes through with flying colors.

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Although funny enough, the First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon has been very active over the weekend, exploring options to keep Scotland in EU with or without England

Yes this is true, for some reason Scotland has always been very ungrateful IMO to what England has done for them

To be part of the UK  should be celebrated yet many Scottish people resent the UK, you almost want to tell Scotland " fine leave the UK " but Scotland is very relevant and important contributor towards the UK so we want them to  stay 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Although funny enough, the First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon has been very active over the weekend, exploring options to keep Scotland in EU with or without England

Yes this is true, for some reason Scotland has always been very ungrateful IMO to what England has done for them

To be part of the UK  should be celebrated yet many Scottish people resent the UK, you almost want to tell Scotland " fine leave the UK " but Scotland is very relevant and important contributor towards the UK so we want them to  stay 

Same like South Africa right? xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

You can't possibly blame Scotland for feeling this way when their result on the Referendum was 62% for Remain

If there's any reason to separate, I'd say the disagreement on the sudden decision to tear down many decades of partnerships and mutual agreements and lessening your buying power from being part of a big block, is good enough reason for it.

Are you against Scotland holding another, say, referendum, about leaving UK? #Sexit

Edited by Nordicus

Don't you live in country that fought their way out from British(English) rule?

• Like 1

13de1431d9bd5411b631fb39065784ddca399d23

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In my opinion its because most of our spineless lapdog politicians were useful sock puppets for the USAs interests in Europe, a foothold in the door so to speak and an ally amongst what may be a future enemy.

It is not in the people of the U.S.A.'s interest for the EU to even exist. Obama and Hillary supporting 'remain' has nothing to do with furthering the interests of the people of the U.S.A., nor is near anything else they ever do or say.

But the EU does exist and having an ally within it who is easily influenced to support the USAs position is desirable.

Hardly unexpected, the Auld Alliance is still remembered both sides of the borders. There is enough bad blood between the Scots and English (for good reason) that the large proportion of Scots who want closer integration with Europe, as a buffer against Westminster rule, is warranted.

With North Sea oil drying up and the Scottish favouring EU integration I think most Englishmen would think it only fair for Scotland to have another referendum, though obviously this would be a deciding vote for a good while.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

https://ricochet.com/the-new-rules-of-democracy-there-are-no-rules-just-give-me-what-i-want/

Too bad British progs can't do what American progs always do, just go to court and have any popular vote they don't like nullified.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

https://ricochet.com/the-new-rules-of-democracy-there-are-no-rules-just-give-me-what-i-want/

Too bad British progs can't do what American progs always do, just go to court and have any popular vote they don't like nullified.

Big part of western democracies is the laws that prevent majority taking rights from minorities. Things like constitutional rights depend heavily on such systems. And democracy is constantly living thing that don't stop in singular vote but continuously evolve through series of votes and even if you lose one vote you continue to argue for values/things/laws that you think are best for society so that society can reflect them again in next vote and so on until end of time. Meaning that there isn't anything that is set in stone in democratic society but only things that society at any given point of time thinks are rules they as collectively accept to abide by.  

^Ive been waiting for some jackass organization to tie it up in litigation for the next decade. Brits cant do that? Good for them. :thumbsup:

No, they have no Supreme Court, the Parliament is supreme. Of course we can't be sure what the Parliament will do when all is said and done.

Big part of western democracies is the laws that prevent majority taking rights from minorities. Things like constitutional rights depend heavily on such systems. And democracy is constantly living thing that don't stop in singular vote but continuously evolve through series of votes and even if you lose one vote you continue to argue for values/things/laws that you think are best for society so that society can reflect them again in next vote and so on until end of time. Meaning that there isn't anything that is set in stone in democratic society but only things that society at any given point of time thinks are rules they as collectively accept to abide by.

That only works when the courts actually follow the law, not substitute their own opinions for the law. http://joshblackman.com/blog/2015/11/29/posner-the-14th-amendment-is-old-cryptic-or-vague-but-what-about-article-iii/ Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

Don't you live in country that fought their way out from British(English) rule?

No I'm English but I'm South African English and most of us have  ties to the UK

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Boris Johnsson-look is sure making its way through all spheres of society.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hm. Would be interesting if the MPs' surgeries affected this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Brexit: Gibraltar in talks with Scotland to stay in EU

We will leave EU, but on hindsight how about only half us leave and half will stay.

But it sounds interesting arrangement, where country's central government is out of EU but its semi autonomic regions will stay in. Arrangements that are other way, aren't that uncommon in EU, but this kind arrangement would be quite interesting to see if it could work. 

Brexit: Gibraltar in talks with Scotland to stay in EU

We will leave EU, but on hindsight how about only half us leave and half will stay.

But it sounds interesting arrangement, where country's central government is out of EU but its semi autonomic regions will stay in. Arrangements that are other way, aren't that uncommon in EU, but this kind arrangement would be quite interesting to see if it could work. 

That sounds like that lukewarm british kind of way most of us know :p

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Don't you live in country that fought their way out from British(English) rule?"

Bruce has proud Imperial ancestry, being a direct descendant of Cecil Rhodes.

Yes of course I'm proud of my British legacy. I know the British did some questionable and cruel things in there empire. We accept this of course but the British did more good than bad and they often unfairly judged 

And of course what matters  the most is what they like now? And thats an easy one to answer, they considered a real success story

John Milton 

Late to the party but better late than never. I didn't see it coming. I thought that even push come to shove, they'd rig it to stay in since it was destined to be close. 

American interests in Europe took a stab in the gut with this. No longer will the UK be able to influence European foreign policy (such as it was) to the same extent.

As for the EU, the unthinkable has become thinkable. Grexit would have been a nuisance, the eventual economic collapse of Spain and Italy an even bigger one but this is a critical hit. 

If the present course of the economy and refugee crisis continues, the France is the next significant weak link. The current government will never organize a referendum but an FN one might and Le Pen's chances were never as good as they are now. That is admittedly, the most extreme scenario - but if it came to pass and succeed the EU would be gone overnight.

Even if it doesn't happen, there is nothing but the problems ahead. A clever politician would use this opportunity to patch up things with Russia, now that the key anti-Russian player is as good as gone (Erdogan certainly is, for some reason). I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Cameron possibly the biggest political loser in 21st century history so far. From "a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" to a zero and loser overnight.  

I don't expect them to flip it somehow. The political fallout is so bad already I can't see a reversal happening. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Late to the party but better late than never. I didn't see it coming. I thought that even push come to shove, they'd rig it to stay in since it was destined to be close. 

American interests in Europe took a stab in the gut with this. No longer will the UK be able to influence European foreign policy (such as it was) to the same extent.

As for the EU, the unthinkable has become thinkable. Grexit would have been a nuisance, the eventual economic collapse of Spain and Italy an even bigger one but this is a critical hit. 

If the present course of the economy and refugee crisis continues, the France is the next significant weak link. The current government will never organize a referendum but an FN one might and Le Pen's chances were never as good as they are now. That is admittedly, the most extreme scenario - but if it came to pass and succeed the EU would be gone overnight.

Even if it doesn't happen, there is nothing but the problems ahead. A clever politician would use this opportunity to patch up things with Russia, now that the key anti-Russian player is as good as gone (Erdogan certainly is, for some reason). I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Cameron possibly the biggest political loser in 21st century history so far. From "a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" to a zero and loser overnight.  

I don't expect them to flip it somehow. The political fallout is so bad already I can't see a reversal happening. 

Why would you possibly say Cameron is a loser? You dont understand the reality

Cameron promised the UK he would have this referendum, he kept his word and he understandably stepped down when Brexit won, he isn't required to now navigate the UK exit

He is a man of his word and he has integrity, do you see that as a weakness?

John Milton