Should the UK leave the EU?

BruceVC

The link below is a nice summary of this important decision

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/uk-citizens-opinion-leaving-european-union-brexit_us_57202862e4b0f309baef33dd

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more, particularly by our members who live in the UK and EU. The vote is the 23 June 2016 ...very soon in other words 

I think it would a terrible economic decision for the UK to leave the EU and will also impact the EU on certain levels

But I am interested in the personal views of people who live in the EU about what they think about the UK and its contribution towards the EU and then what do people living in the UK think?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The trouble at the moment is that both sides of the argument have suddenly descended into scare tactics rather than providing actual, relevant arguments on it all.

I can see a variety of pros and cons to both sides of the discussion, but emotionally I am sliding towards the Brexit side of things.  Over the last decade (at least to a fair few Brits), the EU seems to have been getting into a much more impenetrable morass of bureaucracy we have no say in, that isn't transparent, that sucks away money on an ever increasing red-tape and in-crony establishment, and crowds new legislation on us for no particular reason.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

EU needs drastic overhaul which needs impulse to do so - Brexit might be it

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

EU needs drastic overhaul which needs impulse to do so - Brexit might be it

FIFA got nothing on the EU when it comes to being rotten to the core. It is in serious need of a complete restructuring and in particular trimming of the number of parliamentarians, institutions, committees, areas of jurisdiction, you name it.

-- Proud Maastricht treaty "No!" voter....

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

http://news.sky.com/story/1699062/celebrities-come-out-in-force-for-remain-vote

This seems to have backfired for "stay in the EU" camp

Many  people in the UK don't like being lectured to by celebrities about how they should vote, they think most celebrities are out of touch with the economic reality of your average citizen and this whole idea by celebrities is just seen as condescending  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes they should leave.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I realise some might have missed the highly factual arguments and purely objective (and not at all self-serving) evidence being put forward by the In and Out camps on the EU referendum so I thought I would summarise them for you:

If we leave:
1) We will all die in a zombie apocalypse which will sweep the nation as we lose the ability to afford even basic sanitation;
2) Your house will collapse into a pile of dust as there will be no EU regulations requiring them to stay up, l...eaving you no shelter to hide from the flesh-eating hordes; and
3) Those able to hide in remote rural areas will starve to death due to no country in the world trading with us ever again leaving us without food, water and quality German cars.

If we stay,
1) We will all either be murdered in our sleep by insidious criminal immigrants or drown to death as our beautiful Island sinks to the bottom of the Ocean under the weight of all the immigrants, which we obviously cannot hold, (much like they did with the Titanic);
2) The NHS will self-imploded (sometime around midday on 24th June), which will have nothing to do with our ageing population but will be entirely down to the same immigrants taking all the chairs in the waiting rooms; and
3) Hitler will be reanimated by the necromantic sorcery of the EU Commission and lead a Nazi Zombie apocalypse, which will be very similar to the one that will happen if we leave, except it will feel slightly more unsporting since we thought we'd won and had not in fact realised this was his gleeful plan all along.

Confusing I know, but you have to weigh this all up before you decide.

• Like 1

I realise some might have missed the highly factual arguments and purely objective (and not at all self-serving) evidence being put forward by the In and Out camps on the EU referendum so I thought I would summarise them for you:

If we leave:

1) We will all die in a zombie apocalypse which will sweep the nation as we lose the ability to afford even basic sanitation;

2) Your house will collapse into a pile of dust as there will be no EU regulations requiring them to stay up, l...eaving you no shelter to hide from the flesh-eating hordes; and

3) Those able to hide in remote rural areas will starve to death due to no country in the world trading with us ever again leaving us without food, water and quality German cars.

If we stay,

1) We will all either be murdered in our sleep by insidious criminal immigrants or drown to death as our beautiful Island sinks to the bottom of the Ocean under the weight of all the immigrants, which we obviously cannot hold, (much like they did with the Titanic);

2) The NHS will self-imploded (sometime around midday on 24th June), which will have nothing to do with our ageing population but will be entirely down to the same immigrants taking all the chairs in the waiting rooms; and

3) Hitler will be reanimated by the necromantic sorcery of the EU Commission and lead a Nazi Zombie apocalypse, which will be very similar to the one that will happen if we leave, except it will feel slightly more unsporting since we thought we'd won and had not in fact realised this was his gleeful plan all along.

Confusing I know, but you have to weigh this all up before you decide.

Yeah, there is loads of fear mongering

I heard something really funny on Sky, they were interviewing people in EU: Out camp and one interview was with a businessman who owned a factory that basically sold smoked salmon

The owner explained why he supports EU: Out, he said last year EU regulations forced him to repackage all his fish at a great personal cost...and the reason he had to repackage his product ... " EU regulations insisted that he have a warning label on his salmon that says ...this product contains fish "  :lol:     

John Milton 

Part of it is, the EU isn't some shiny well developed thing.

It's a convoluted product of half a century or more of assorted treaties and the various non-elected bureaucracies that were developed to handle them. Things have been mashed together, glued together, partially torn apart and mixed with other elements, turned around and knitted together, before being wrapped in baling wire.

• Like 1

Geert Wilders thinks so: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/23/wilders-britain-liberate-europe-revolutionary-brexit-vote/

"Mr. Wilders said: “Like in the 1940s, once again Britain could help liberate Europe from another totalitarian monster, this time called ‘Brussels’. Again, we could be saved by the British… If people see that a country can leave, and the lights do not go out, there is not a war, and a country does not go bankrupt, but even flourishes. If Britain proves that this theory can become a reality, it would have an enormous effect.”

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Geert Wilders thinks so: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/23/wilders-britain-liberate-europe-revolutionary-brexit-vote/

"Mr. Wilders said: “Like in the 1940s, once again Britain could help liberate Europe from another totalitarian monster, this time called ‘Brussels’. Again, we could be saved by the British… If people see that a country can leave, and the lights do not go out, there is not a war, and a country does not go bankrupt, but even flourishes. If Britain proves that this theory can become a reality, it would have an enormous effect.”

Of course Wilders would say that, he is opposed to many of the core values of the EU....so anything that would ostensibly weaken the EU he thinks is a great idea

John Milton 

The core values of the EU -is nazism. I oppose those values as should anyone who believes in freedom.

So do you  mind naming a few points how the EU is like the Nazis?

I'm trying to understand this view

John Milton 

The core values of the EU -is nazism. I oppose those values as should anyone who believes in freedom.

So do you mind naming a few points how the EU is like the Nazis?

I don't get why you still take Volo seriously.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They should leave.

The EU has turned from a free cooperation of states into a behemoth of beaurocracy larping as the new aristocracy with a common rules for everything, which in turn will eradicate the very differences that we celibrate.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I actually  think  volo will give a reason he feels is valid ...I think he is being serious?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

They should leave.

The EU has turned from a free cooperation of states into a behemoth of beaurocracy larping as the new aristocracy with a common rules for everything, which in turn will eradicate the very differences that we celibrate.

What cant you do nowadays that you use to do before the joining the EU?

John Milton 

They should leave.

What cant you do nowadays that you use to do before the joining the EU?

In the case of the UK, it is the dependency of the European Commission acting as the executive and the European Council & Parliament as legislative. They cannot work independently without them as long they are in the EU. In the case of countries within the Euro-area, they in turn cannot even control their state finances or currency.

Why bother when you can have representation on a national level instead? Even the most hardened cynic have to admit that they have to at least try to work in the interest of their constituents, as they represent them.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I actually  think  volo will give a reason he feels is valid ...I think he is being serious?

Volo is the Snarf of the Obsidian Forums. Mostly annoying, but you can't picture the place without him.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Volo is the Snarf of the Obsidian Forums. Mostly annoying, but you can't picture the place without him.

You guys :lol:

I dont really understand your relationship with volo...I have asked and he said he is not a troll and we often have debates so for me he is sincere?

John Milton 

Volo has been around since the Bioware & Black Isle boards. He's the same guy now he's always been. Nothing wrong with that at all.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You guys :lol:

I dont really understand your relationship with volo...I have asked and he said he is not a troll and we often have debates so for me he is sincere?

2Egn3AA.jpg

• Like 3

Devastatorsig.jpg

Volo has been around since the Bioware & Black Isle boards. He's the same guy now he's always been. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Well it depends on how you see volo, what if people who didn't know him  thought he was rude and offensive the first time they debated with him? Is that something people want other people to think about them?

John Milton