Pillars of Eternity 2 Wish List and Suggestions

It's so true that one can have exactly the same interaction with someone with 3 Int and someone with 18 Int...

But well... That's a gamedesign decision. If people want it, let's give it to the people.

It just doesn't make sense for me. And won't solve the problem. If companions have unique traits (which is what I would like) plus fully customizable stats, companions would be strictly better than hirelings. So I don't think it would be a good option.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

It's so true that one can have exactly the same interaction with someone with 3 Int and someone with 18 Int...

Which is an argument that would make sense if main character was a drooling idiot at 3 int. Alas, 90% of conversations play out the same and PC's comprehensive skills don't change at all, so clearly, intellect doesn't necessarily directly equate to intelligence.

Similarly, keeping NPC stats unchangeable would make sense if they had unique interactions tied with their stats inside of conversations but that never happens, and scripted interactions literally just check base attributes/skills/spells of all party members regardless of their personality so there's no issue there either.

Attributes in Pillars of Eternity are so incredibly vague and gamey that direct correlation to personality is often difficult to make as is - and since they don't serve any practical purpose in interactions with NPCs anyway, they might as well be tweakable by players.

It just doesn't make sense for me. And won't solve the problem. If companions have unique traits (which is what I would like) plus fully customizable stats, companions would be strictly better than hirelings. So I don't think it would be a good option.

To be fair, you can make balanced unique traits, which would make stock companions just another option. Edited by Fenixp

To be fair, you can make balanced unique traits, which would make stock companions just another option.
You're right about this :- Edited by Elric Galad

Men were given the choice between the Naive, the Redeemed Bad Girl and the Omnipresent Authority figure. You could date anyone provided that she was an elf.

Women were given the choice between Anomen.

That does not help.

Yeah they definitely need to give fewer but higher quality romances for men like they did for women.

I wouldn't mind seeing a "Class" system that starts out as a "Skills" system. I.e. you learn skills in order to qualify for a class, much like you apprentice in order to enter a profession. Once you have a class to specialize in, your rate of progression should improve. But you would have the alternative to just keep following the skills road for greater diversity in your capability.

So... you'd qualify for a class at around level 3-4, after completing the prerequisites and training. Until then, you're just an adventurer slash apprentice.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I wouldn't mind seeing a "Class" system that starts out as a "Skills" system. I.e. you learn skills in order to qualify for a class, much like you apprentice in order to enter a profession. Once you have a class to specialize in, your rate of progression should improve. But you would have the alternative to just keep following the skills road for greater diversity in your capability.

So... you'd qualify for a class at around level 3-4, after completing the prerequisites and training. Until then, you're just an adventurer slash apprentice.

Those aren't uncommon in rpgs (Ogre Tactics, 3.5 is practiaclly that with prestige), but I really don't want any more dramatic changes to the system.  Make attack speed comprehensible, and then enough is enough.

• Like 1

I was thinking, it might be interesting to have conversation options and scripted interactions that are tied to having low stat values. On the one hand terms of options/interaction paths being unavailable for some characters, same as now but tied to much lower minimum values; ie. an intensely stupid character being unable to go for the more articulate or well-reasoned replies. And conversely, low stat values opening up other paths (instead of, or in addition to, the rest): a weak-willed (ie. low Resolve) character ending up meekly going along with an NPC's plan rather than opposing it, or accepting lesser rewards. Or a clumsy (ie. low Dexterity) character dropping a Dragon Egg when handing it to the NPC that asked him to retrieve it. 

Anyway, just a thought. It just seems to me that having particularly low values for certain stats should have some additional consequences, does add flavour. Though it doesn't (just) have to be in scripted interactions, we could also have a very low Dexterity character occasionally tripping and Proning themselves when walking around in combat, things like that :).

• Like 4

Also, maybe a sorceror-type class? Maybe it's been suggested before already, but it might be nice to have more of an at-will wizard type, rather than the regular per-rest type. Giving them a resource pool instead to cast from, which is filled by casting lower-level spells, down to a level of free cantrips. Maybe also vary the amount of resource each spell generates (doesn't have to be tied to spell level alone); and/or allow the sorceror to use additional resources for a spell to make it more powerful. Especially with the addition of a bit of a chaotic/wild-mage element to it, might make a nice and distinctive new class. 

Also, maybe a sorceror-type class? Maybe it's been suggested before already, but it might be nice to have more of an at-will wizard type, rather than the regular per-rest type. Giving them a resource pool instead to cast from, which is filled by casting lower-level spells, down to a level of free cantrips. Maybe also vary the amount of resource each spell generates (doesn't have to be tied to spell level alone); and/or allow the sorceror to use additional resources for a spell to make it more powerful. Especially with the addition of a bit of a chaotic/wild-mage element to it, might make a nice and distinctive new class. 

That's a cypher.

Ciphers gain Focus from inflicting weapon damage, his spells are powered by combat; they're inherently a type of fighter-mage. The hypothetical sorceror would gain [resource] from casting spells, his spells are thus powered by casting spells. This makes them much more a pure spellslinger; as described you'd realistically never want them to use a weapon at all, since that's time spent not casting spells and thus not generating any [resource].

A caster gaining ressources to cast from casting spells ? Sounds either a deadlock or an infinite loop ^^

Of course you could have spells generating ressources, and other spending it (a bit like chaner's phrase and invoc').

Mmmm, why not ? :-

A caster gaining ressources to cast from casting spells ? Sounds either a deadlock or an infinite loop ^^

Of course you could have spells generating ressources, and other spending it (a bit like chaner's phrase and invoc').

Mmmm, why not ? :-

Could also do some kind of spell combo system. Two resource pools. Spells using one resource generate the other. It becomes a balancing act. Yin and yang.

Oh certainly, proper implementation would require some figuring out. There presumably would have to be some kind of balancing between spells with net gain and net loss in [resource], obviously tied to how powerful an effect they have. But it certainly would be doable. I mean, in the most simplistic implementation you could have a regular selection of spells like a Cipher that only cost [resource], and a secondary array of special [resource]-generating spells. You'd get the same dichotomy of a [resource]-generating mechanism and a [resource]-using mechanism that Ciphers, Chanters and Monks have.

But obviously it would be (at least to my mind) much more interesting to merge them into one, in some way, make it more distinctive and interconnected. That'd also be more difficult to balance and get right of course, but it might yield an interesting new kind of class. And of course you can do something like make the power level of spells modifiable: eg. a level 3 fireball spell would require you to *have* three [R], and as a default casting would gain you +1 [R] and yield a small fireball; but you can opt to expend additional [R] to increase the power of the fireball.

Or maybe you'd forego the [resource]-based approach, and instead go for a LEGO-type approach: you can cast each spell as often as you like, which have only a small-ish effect on their own but add a modifier to your pool. And when casting a spell, you have the option of releasing all those modifiers to boost various aspects of that spell. So you can either do a quick sequence of [spell], [boosted spell], or alternatively go for a more time-consuming [spell], [spell], [spell], [spell], but then finish with a [bOOSTED SPELL] with much larger effect.

Anyway, just thinking aloud here. I just like the notion of a type of character that just does everything with magic, that's a kind of conduit channeling raw magical energy into some form. Which is also why I like the addition of some chaotic/wild-mage element to it, to contrast it more with the more intellectual, precise nature of the traditional wizard (akin to the wizard vs sorceror distinction in D&D, essentially). More intuitive and spontaneous, and with the potential to get ever so slightly out of control; like holding a firehose spewing forth magical energy instead of water, hoping you can keep a hold of it.

Edit: and indeed, some kind of balancing of two resources might be thought as well. Can be two magical resources, but possibly also magical energy vs. endurance, with the built-up energy quickly starting to (literally) burn off if not used quickly or something.

Edited by Loren Tyr

I would like to visit the Living Lands, and have a Vithrack companion.

Maybe also more soulbound items, of varying strengths, throughout the game.

More types of godlikes would be cool, as well.

• Like 2

I would like to visit the Living Lands, and have a Vithrack companion.

Maybe also more soulbound items, of varying strengths, throughout the game.

More types of godlikes would be cool, as well.

Yes, more godlikes and soulbound weapons available since the beginning (with requirements that could not be met soon).

• Like 2

sign.jpg

Stacking for equipment bonuses should be changed. It becomes really hard to equip all your party with the best available equipments when you need to make sure you aren't wasting any bonuses because of better bonuses from other equipments.

Stacking for equipment bonuses should be changed. It becomes really hard to equip all your party with the best available equipments when you need to make sure you aren't wasting any bonuses because of better bonuses from other equipments.

Changed how, though? Just letting everything stack doesn't seem like a good idea, creates a lot of balancing issues. What would be nice though is a warning system of sorts, that when you equip an item you get a transient pop-up telling you which other equipment bonuses it is suppressing and which of its own bonuses are being suppressed. 

• Like 2

Changed how, though? Just letting everything stack doesn't seem like a good idea, creates a lot of balancing issues. What would be nice though is a warning system of sorts, that when you equip an item you get a transient pop-up telling you which other equipment bonuses it is suppressing and which of its own bonuses are being suppressed.

So they need to make sure there aren't balancing issues. Of course this needs all stats reworked as well as maybe limiting certain equipment slots to only certain kind of bonuses. Foot equipment only giving movement speed, defense to being knocked down and things like that. If there aren't many slots that can have the same bonuses, as well as a warning like you suggest, it would be less tedious for the player.

But the warning alone takes care of that, since it ensures that you will always be aware of (equipment) suppressions immediately. Changing/removing the (equipment) stacking rules or restricting bonus types to specific equipment wouldn't add anything to that, yet would involve completely rebalancing all other bonuses as well and restrict the freedom for developers and designers in creating flavourful items (I'd say for the most part equipment bonuses already do make sense relative to the equipment type, description and associated back story, anyway). 

But the warning alone takes care of that, since it ensures that you will always be aware of (equipment) suppressions immediately. Changing/removing the (equipment) stacking rules or restricting bonus types to specific equipment wouldn't add anything to that, yet would involve completely rebalancing all other bonuses as well and restrict the freedom for developers and designers in creating flavourful items (I'd say for the most part equipment bonuses already do make sense relative to the equipment type, description and associated back story, anyway). 

You are missing some cases where warnings alone won't help you much. The goal is optimizing the characters, not avoiding wasting any bonuses. In some optimal builds you should waste bonuses, because the equipment gives you other bonuses that you might be interested in.

Edited by Eadan

But how does changing the stacking rules help that? The only thing they affect is whether a bonus might be wasted, any optimization beyond that is up to you as the player to figure out. Even if you throw the stacking rules out the window completely, you'd still need to determine which set of items will best match your goals. 

This has probably been said a million times but please, faster loading times and less loadings in general. General optimisation improvements, my pc is not high tier but still could run wasteland 2 better than poe and while is was not prettier in terms of art directon it is definitely more demanding(or at least it should be) since it's a fully 3d game. I know that wasteland 2 dc runs on unity 5 while poe is still just unity 4 so let's just hope that poe 2 will deliver in both gameplay and technical aspects.

But how does changing the stacking rules help that? The only thing they affect is whether a bonus might be wasted, any optimization beyond that is up to you as the player to figure out. Even if you throw the stacking rules out the window completely, you'd still need to determine which set of items will best match your goals. 

But that means a HUGE restriction being lifted. The item build customization would still be complex enough, without requiring players to go through the whole process again with every new item gained.

Edited by Eadan