Pillars of Eternity 2 Wish List and Suggestions

Here is my wish list for PoE 2.  (A few updates to my original post...)

The Talent System needs to be revamped. PoE featured too many awful talents that made little or no difference after you took them. The worst part of this problem is that some of these talents were then rendered worthless by gear. For instance why take Graceful Retreat (12 disengage defense) when there is in-game gear that will provide way more.

PoTD implementation is a problem. PoTD should emphasize more enemy variety per encounter instead of loading up bosses with infinite HP and one-shot damage. This poor implementation led to Dragons that cannot be killed. Can the developers please play the game on PoTD - or at least try.

No more random addition of immunities that unbalance the game. If you are going to implement immunities please balance the other talents in the game to accommodate them. Immunities rendered classes like the Barbarian (Threatening presence) and the Rogue weaker than intended in the original game. Immunities were a disaster in PoE

Players should be rewarded for designing good character builds. Remove the over dependence of classes on gear to be viable. (Forgemaster Gloves I am looking at you). There is something fundamentally wrong with gear overshadowing good character creation. It takes away the pay-off players get from constructing characters

After a trap is detected, there is no reason for companions to run into them. Bonus against traps should increase upon detection

A single attribute like Resolve should not dominate when it comes to dialog options. A resolve of 18 in PoE was enough to get the PC through most of the dialog options. Dialog options should be distributed better among the attributes

Six party members are too many in my opinion. Others may disagree

There should be more opportunities for people to gain attribute points through questing. The three in PoE (heritage hill, Council of Stars, Skaen Temple) were not enough

Per rest attribute bonuses are immersion breaking and frustrating. No one should have to trace their way out of a dungeon to reinstate attribute bonuses. Resting should give other benefits, but not attribute bonuses

I personally like min maxing. i like to see what I can squeeze out of a build. There are those who do not like to play that way and that is fine as well. PoE 2 should pay off for both types of play style

Let us customize companions from the start of the game. Do not give us random stat distribution NPCs to salvage from their miserable attributes (Sorry Pallegina...)

Please figure out how I can spend my money as it accumulates. 200,000 pands and nothing to spend it on is insane. 

All classes should have natural regeneration of health, even if some classes have more than others. Natural regeneration should be upgrade-able with talents

Be brave...let us experience some Divine level or epic gameplay. (Motb did just fine)

Plan for expansions from the start including the maximum level cap and talents. Scaling an area up because the player's level is too high  breaks the flow of the game and really is an odd way to implement an expansion

The bounties seemed 'tacked on' to me. the XP gain for those missions did not match overall game balance

I would like the level cap removed...but that's just my opinion
Edited by Anaeme
  • Like 1

But other people could beat the Adra on PotD. So what's the issue here?

Reduce the party members seems rather questionable. If you don't want more than four, then... don't take more than four?

Natural regeneration: while I don't have a big beef against it, why would one class have better regen than another? Wouldn't it make more sense to tie that to an attribute like Constitution?

Ugh. Epic levels? No thanks.

• Like 15

My wish list:

No romances.

(Much) better A.I. and varied encounter design.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 6

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Here is my wish list for PoE 2.  (It will be re-posted on PoE 2 official forums when the game is officially announced)

1. All the talents need to be revamped...no more useless talents or talents that don't noticeably change gameplay. In summary get rid of trash talents 
  2. Developers need to play and tune the game on the highest PoTD difficulty. This is to ensure no challenges are impossible to overcome. (I could not kill Adra Dragon on PoTD)
  3. No more random addition of immunities that unbalance the game. If you are going to give immunities please balance the other talents in the game to accommodate them,
  4. Reduce the number of party members to four
  5. Per rest attribute bonuses are immersion breaking and frustrating. No one should have to trace their way out of a dungeon to reinstate attribute bonuses
  6. Let us customize companions from the start of the game. Do not give us random stat distribution NPCs to salvage from their miserable attributes (Sorry Pallegina...)
  7. Take advantage of Amazon's free game engine to give us some better graphics. I want to see the armor I put on my toon, heck I want to see their face
  8. Please figure out how I can spend my money as it accumulates. 200,000 pands and nothing to spend it on is insane. 
  9. All classes should have natural regeneration of health, even if some classes have more than others. Natural regeneration should be upgrade-able with talents
  10. Be brave...let us experience some Divine level or epic gameplay. (Motb did just fine)
  11. Plan for expansions from the start including the maximum level cap and talents. Scaling an area up because the player's level is too high  breaks the flow of the game and really is an odd way to implement an expansion
  12. Players should be rewarded for designing good character builds. Remove the over dependence of classes on gear to be viable. (Forgemaster Gloves I am looking at you)
  13. After a trap is detected, there is no reason for companions to run into them. Bonus against traps should increase upon detection

1.  Sure whatever, but there aren't that many trash talents.
  2. Ardra dragon is extremely possible on PotD.  It was definitely harder in the original game, and the challenge could have been more appropriate per initial level, but they did playthroughs on PotD.
  3. I would rather the immunities be extremely high resistances, but the rest of them were not hard to work around.  Ice blights were the most annoying for me, but my monk just switched to hatchets.
  4. No. No. No.  6 party members increases readability problems, but it also offers significantly more tactical variety.
  5. Then take survival.  No muss no fuss.  I like the per rest bonuses a lot.  It makes inns more interesting.
  6. I don't care either way.  At that point, they should just let the player make all characters, and randomize their personality.
  7. Doing stuff in cryengine would drastically increase cost for little benefit.  And also significantly increase technical problems.  They would also lose a two years worth of bugfixes.  There's a good case to be made for upgrading to a newer version of unity, but switching platforms entirely is a terrible idea.
  8. Fair enough.
  9. I think the health system has a great feel when you're dungeon running.  You can put your characters in pretty significant risk, which is a good thing.  Take field triage if it bothers you.
  10. I don't think WM2 was that far from epic gameplay already.  So sure, whatever.
  11. Maybe.  BG2 did the same thing, it just didn't tell you.
  12. Disagree somewhat.  After a certain amount of metaknowledge, the separation between gear and build is arbitrary.  I could see the case for making enchanted weapons rarer.  Also, your choice of gear only makes a huge difference on PotD anyways, unless you make arbitrarily stupid decisions anyways.
  13. A better way to do this is to stop the party from moving with AI.
Edited by anameforobsidian
  • Like 3

All the talents need to be revamped...no more useless talents or talents that don't noticeably change gameplay. In summary get rid of trash talents

Why all? Revamping only those that are underperforming is enough :)

Developers need to play and tune the game on the highest PoTD difficulty. This is to ensure no challenges are impossible to overcome. (I could not kill Adra Dragon on PoTD)

If you mean the perceived value of talents should be balanced around PotD I do agree. As on lower difficulties it doesn't even matter that much.

If you mean the encounters difficulty... well, PotD is not that hard, or did you try to solo that Dragon on non wizard/paladin?

No more random addition of immunities that unbalance the game. If you are going to give immunities please balance the other talents in the game to accommodate them,

Immunities are fun. Would indeed rather see the talents being accommodated.

Reduce the number of party members to four

Uh no. Personally I love having six members.

Deciding who will take the last spot in the party is already difficult enough)

Let us customize companions from the start of the game. Do not give us random stat distribution NPCs to salvage from their miserable attributes (Sorry Pallegina...)

This. I understand that companions come with their own traits. But make such stat-respec optional.

All classes should have natural regeneration of health, even if some classes have more than others. Natural regeneration should be upgrade-able with talents

Slow out-of-combat health regeneration would be welcome. Especially if somehow tied with constitution.

Also the usefulness of resolve could be increases as well, if it would delay the health drop.

And ofc there could be some sort of vampiric spells.

After a trap is detected, there is no reason for companions to run into them. Bonus against traps should increase upon detection

That's in limits of common sense. I like it.

My list of suggestions would include a short version from the aside thread:

- more consistent and transparent mechanics

- more options/flexibility in the plot choices (select A, B, or C; but there is no option I would personally chose)

- richer enchanting options

- richer AI tactics setup (something closer to Dragon Age: Origins style)

- uhm, even more combinations for possible builds (cross abilities, more or multi classing)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

I think what differentiated baldurs gate 1 from baldurs gate 2 was the depth of bg2.

PoE2 needs more depth in whatever city they choose for it to be based in. The main city in pillars 1 was extremely lacking in adventure and fulfilment eg just a few meaningful encounters on every map in the city.

Obsidian need to let the character build an empire in pillars 2. We want power and power and more power.

All the useless talents upon level up for selection need to be eradicated.

Magic needs to make a return. Give the spells and magic items more creativity so we are amazed at what they can do.

You can do this obsidian. Pillars of eternity 1 is far better then what baldurs gate 1 was.......................

............but no where near as good as baldurs gate2.

Now is your chance for redemption. Good luck

Edited by Kingsman

i just want the spell in my signature pretty much

ciphers don't troll anywhere near as much as they should

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

For me the wish-list is very simple. The only thing in PoE I really hated was the combat, so please no more trash mobs and pointless random combat encounters and no respawning. Furthermore, even when there is a meaningful combat encounter situation there still ought to be ways to handle things through means other than combat, and this includes encounters with dragons - especially encounters with dragons (and other extremely powerful but also intelligent opponents). I so want to be able to have a conversation with a dragon, maybe even recruit it as an ally!

As a side note, I am one of those who thoroughly enjoys a good stronghold management subgame, so I hope PoE2 will have a stronghold acquisition option. But it needs to be done much better than the stronghold in PoE.

Here is my wish list for PoE 2.  (It will be re-posted on PoE 2 official forums when the game is officially announced)

• All the talents need to be revamped...no more useless talents or talents that don't noticeably change gameplay. In summary get rid of trash talents 

• Developers need to play and tune the game on the highest PoTD difficulty. This is to ensure no challenges are impossible to overcome. (I could not kill Adra Dragon on PoTD)

• No more random addition of immunities that unbalance the game. If you are going to give immunities please balance the other talents in the game to accommodate them,

• Reduce the number of party members to four

• Per rest attribute bonuses are immersion breaking and frustrating. No one should have to trace their way out of a dungeon to reinstate attribute bonuses

• Let us customize companions from the start of the game. Do not give us random stat distribution NPCs to salvage from their miserable attributes (Sorry Pallegina...)

• Take advantage of Amazon's free game engine to give us some better graphics. I want to see the armor I put on my toon, heck I want to see their face

• Please figure out how I can spend my money as it accumulates. 200,000 pands and nothing to spend it on is insane. 

• All classes should have natural regeneration of health, even if some classes have more than others. Natural regeneration should be upgrade-able with talents

• Be brave...let us experience some Divine level or epic gameplay. (Motb did just fine)

• Plan for expansions from the start including the maximum level cap and talents. Scaling an area up because the player's level is too high  breaks the flow of the game and really is an odd way to implement an expansion

• Players should be rewarded for designing good character builds. Remove the over dependence of classes on gear to be viable. (Forgemaster Gloves I am looking at you)

• After a trap is detected, there is no reason for companions to run into them. Bonus against traps should increase upon detection

Dude if you cant beat the Adra Dragon on PotD that's on you.   I have seen you complain multiple times on this forum about difficulty and something being impossible when others are routinely beating it.   I have beaten the Adra Dragon in a straight fight with no traps or any cheese on a PotD/ToI run more the once.  Just with good CC and debuffing.  I am also an extremely average player.  There very good players on this forum that destroy that encounter.  Ridiculous.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

not just me pal.  A lot of people have.  I could have said that better and I apologize for that.  I agree with some of the stuff you said just not that one.  Apologies for being Aggressive.  I could definitely not be a Goldpact Knight or Shieldbearer of St. Elcga ;)

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

I salute you on how awesome you are with the Adra dragon on PoTD.

With legendary encounters on highest difficulty like the Adra Dragon, only a minority of players should ever be able to beat them. If everybody can, it's no longer a challenge and achievement worthy of highest difficulty - and that's coming from a guy who never beat Adra Dragon on PotD. Instead of trying to change the game in a way which would suit my playstyle in spite of everybody else, I rather just play on a lower difficulty.

• Like 1

My wishlist: better loading times, reduced savegames size, the game launching even with 100+ saves in the folder, game mechanics better explained, stats/item/skills/keybinds easely editable ideally through notepad. And some kind of tool checking for out-of-range values, especially after few reloads, and eventually resetting values to default.

Edited by Suen
  • Like 5

I've come to burn your kingdom down

PoE 2 as a fantasy naval setting.

Valian Republic as main location but possibility to travel around the world.

Raautai sounds fsntastic.

Sunken ruins from a forgotten past where an old civilisation did know where Adra came from. Something older than the gods themselves.

And a battleship as Stronghold !

But building an empire could be awesome too.

• Like 6

My wishlist: better loading times, reduced savegames size, the game launching even with 100+ saves in the folder, game mechanics better explained, stats/item/skills/keybinds easely editable ideally through notepad. And some kind of tool checking for out-of-range values, especially after few reloads, and eventually resetting values to default.

All of the above, especially the explanation of game mechanics.

• Like 1

Guest BugsVendor

1) Now that you have the $ hire some testers. Play the game from the beggining to the end at least one time before you release it.

2) Give it some depth. Not 2 paper thin factions and party members with 1 quests that solves itslef.

3) Let players get to know the world and solve problems themselves instead having every quest following obvious trail. I'd love to see a quest when presented with a problem I decide myself who to take that information to / what to do with it.

4) How about an antagonist you get to know and dislike instead of something something somehing about unknown something ?

5) Get a comeback or 2 to the decision player made. I always wondered if I helped the pregnant lady from the first town.

6) This time complete final town / location.

• All the talents need to be revamped...no more useless talents or talents that don't noticeably change gameplay. In summary get rid of trash talents 

• Developers need to play and tune the game on the highest PoTD difficulty. This is to ensure no challenges are impossible to overcome. (I could not kill Adra Dragon on PoTD)

• No more random addition of immunities that unbalance the game. If you are going to give immunities please balance the other talents in the game to accommodate them,

• Reduce the number of party members to four

• Per rest attribute bonuses are immersion breaking and frustrating. No one should have to trace their way out of a dungeon to reinstate attribute bonuses

• Let us customize companions from the start of the game. Do not give us random stat distribution NPCs to salvage from their miserable attributes (Sorry Pallegina...)

• Take advantage of Amazon's free game engine to give us some better graphics. I want to see the armor I put on my toon, heck I want to see their face

• Please figure out how I can spend my money as it accumulates. 200,000 pands and nothing to spend it on is insane. 

• All classes should have natural regeneration of health, even if some classes have more than others. Natural regeneration should be upgrade-able with talents

• Be brave...let us experience some Divine level or epic gameplay. (Motb did just fine)

• Plan for expansions from the start including the maximum level cap and talents. Scaling an area up because the player's level is too high  breaks the flow of the game and really is an odd way to implement an expansion

• Players should be rewarded for designing good character builds. Remove the over dependence of classes on gear to be viable. (Forgemaster Gloves I am looking at you)

• After a trap is detected, there is no reason for companions to run into them. Bonus against traps should increase upon detection

Please do these if you want to make a ****ty game.

• Like 4

J_C from Codexia

1. underwater world

underground cities and ruins

some mazelike level design

better performance and loading times

compelling story and fun combat (melee, range and stealth)

more puzzles to solve

dark fantasy athmosphere with lovecraftian elements

• Like 3