PILLARS OF ETERNITY 2 confirmed

If they do greenlight PoE2 for crowdfundung, I'm definitely backing. I doubt they'll hit $4 million but they wouldn't need that much to bring about the same level of breadth as the first game. The infrastructure is already in place.

• Like 4

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If they do greenlight PoE2 for crowdfundung, I'm definitely backing.

+1

• Like 9

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Great news, I'm in.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I'm assuming they'll keep the same Unity code base in place and have the game play and UI similar to PoE1.

So, should Josh continue with the current rules sysyem as is with a few tweaks, or completely revamp?

How about the camera angle? Is it currently too low? Should they tilt it higher to how it was in the BG and IWD IE games?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

please please be set somewhere warm!

I'm so eager to see a tropical setting. Lush vegetation, sticky warm nights in overcrowded cities. who knows.

• Like 3

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I thought PoE was a requiem for IE style games and partly a cautionary tale about unnaturally prolonging life past its natural span, and that memory is a false and dangerous state of mind to wallow in? I liked that it gently rebuked us all for refusing to let go. A sequel feels like it dilutes the point.

Obsidian really want to be under the backer lash again? The whole thing was dysfunctional and at times pretty unpleasant. Seeing creativity yoked to the frustrated demands of thousands of first time patrons wasn't always edifying I have to say.

• Like 3

I can't really tell if NegativeEdge is trolling, but I'll bite.

I liked that it gently rebuked us all for refusing to let go. A sequel feels like it dilutes the point.

I never got the sense the fanbase was rebuked at all by Pillars - which I presume you mean it missed the mark of our collective expectations. Though the game isn't flawless, games with complex mechanistic systems are always extremely tricky to balance - but I still liked that Obsidian had the balls to try.

Besides, I never played most of the IE style games and I backed it - only really playing Icewind Dale 2 in that category. I did however play other classic RPGs, like FO and Arcanum - so all I was really looking for was a decent amount of detailed quests (not just repeatable dross, Bethesda) and a higher standard of writing than most modern RPGs. For me Obsidian certainly delivered on that. I think there was a load of other people in my situation, so the backers were far more than just the core IE games players who couldn't let go.

If anything, I'd say work on Tyranny and Pillars' success proves that there is a gap in the market for these games - if Obsidian has the resources to fill it then they definitely should.

Obsidian really want to be under the backer lash again? The whole thing was dysfunctional and at times pretty unpleasant. Seeing creativity yoked to the frustrated demands of thousands of first time patrons wasn't always edifying I have to say.

There is a difference now though, in that Pillars has already been released and so it's easy enough to assume that Obsidian would want the sequel to closely resemble that. While I'm sure some backers will still come in with outrageous demands, now that the framework of how these games play is in place it's much easier to stay on target - rather than the situation before where anything seemed to be possible and so it was difficult to get cohesive opinions and ideas from the fanbase.

Further Obsidian freely admitted they overdid it on stretch goals, because they didn't expect the project in a million years to get the kind of backer response it did and so they had to pull a lot of them out of thin air. With a second pass at the crowd-funding process, I'd say they will have thoroughly strategised all their stretch goals even up to amounts of funding they would have thought were inconceivable previously - which is great because it means they can focus on fewer details and have the quality remain higher.

Overall it's good to hear the game is in some state of production, though it seemed a little obvious (and I think that's what Feargus was getting at hear) that a games company isn't going to sit idly buy and let one of their profitable IPs go to waste - so some development was more of less a given.

• Like 5

The Vailian Republics are to the south and therefore colder than the Dyrwood.

I thought Dyrwood was in the North Hemisphere.

Dyrwood is in the southern hepishpere.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...