Micro stutter on my laptop?

Torm51

Question

So POE runs a bit crappy on my laptop (my rig runs it great). It's weird because it runs incredibly smooth 60 FPS in most spots but stutters a lot when text bubbles come up from talking NPCs or when in combat. The weird thing is I did the Thaos fight which has a lot of effects and it doesn't stutter. Any suggestions? This guy has almost my same set up and specs. It doesn't look like it was resolved. https://forums.obsidian./topic/82915-game-freezes-frequently-when-loading-audiodialogue-files/

I have a feeling that since this is a cheaper laptop that I use for when I travel for work and doesn't have an SSD this might be the issue. Also it came with Windows 10 and my desk top has Windows 7

My specs are:

An I7-4720 HQ @ 2.60 GHz

A GTX 950 M (mid tier card but should be good enough)

16 GB of ram (that fastest type DDR4 is it?)

It runs Rome Total War 2 on Ultra and a full battlefield flawlessly. I don't get it.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

7 answers to this question

The presence or absence of a SSD doesn't matter. What matters is auto throttling near the shut down temperature, or swapping levels of max turbo boost for the cpu as some background process tries to use a second core fully.

And most problematic is the inability of PoE to idle with Unity. It has 100% CPU all the time, and if the scene get more intense it will start loosing frames.

The presence or absence of a SSD doesn't matter. What matters is auto throttling near the shut down temperature, or swapping levels of max turbo boost for the cpu as some background process tries to use a second core fully.

And most problematic is the inability of PoE to idle with Unity. It has 100% CPU all the time, and if the scene get more intense it will start loosing frames.

Are there any solutions?  Keep my Laptop as cool as possible maybe?  It doesn't seem to be getting very hot its a completely new lap top.  I am not a tech dude but I know enough to get by.. is auto throttling something that is normal in new computers?

Granted I am being picky the game runs fine and is totally playable but the hiccups can get annoying.  Its a quality of life thing in game.  I mean the laptop runs more demanding games better.

Why doesn't the auto throttle happen as often on my PC rig? Like it will happen but not often to be noticeable.  It is a bit more powerful.  not by a lot but it is and like you said the SSD is not a came changer for this issue in particular.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Its not sure that it is the throttling, but it is in the range of possible causes. To know for sure you would need to run things like fraps and a cpu speed logger at the same time and align the data to see if there is a reliable connection.

The thermal throttling is a feature of current Cpus and a good one too. Forced instant power off on reaching the thermal limit is a much bigger game breaker ;)

Its not sure that it is the throttling, but it is in the range of possible causes. To know for sure you would need to run things like fraps and a cpu speed logger at the same time and align the data to see if there is a reliable connection.

The thermal throttling is a feature of current Cpus and a good one too. Forced instant power off on reaching the thermal limit is a much bigger game breaker ;)

truth.  So I am no PC tech guy but I could follow instructions.  I understand why the thermal issue is a good one.  It would definitely be worse if the game was just CTDing or turning off.  But my rig just isn't that much more powerful and it doesn't happen very often on it.  And this laptop has much higher system specs then the recommended.  Maybe keeping it extremely cold will stop it from having to get to that level?  I understand that some of this might be in the engine of the game on certain systems it just acts that way.

Have gun will travel.

Have it on a cooling pad and still stutters a lot.  I mean I just beat Raedric fight on PoTD/ToI/Expert which in the early game is a rough (If you dont run away in funnel him into the hall :p ) fight so its playable  but the issue persist.  It also Polar Bear temperatures in my house as I am cranking the AC.

Have gun will travel.