Is deck C worth 8 k gold?

I´ve already bought 3 out of the 4 chars from the Character Add-on Deck and now i have two options: Buy the 4th char separately and spend 8k gold buying chests or buy the char add-on and get the last char plus the deck C. Is the deck c worth 8k gold?

Deck C:

Monsters:

Bugbear

Cultist x2

Enchanter

Ogre

Plague Zombie x2

Satyr

Shadow

Siren

Sneak

Spectre

Traitor

Werewolf

Zombie Giant

Barriers:

Battered Chest

Explosive Runes

Large Chest

Mystic Inscription

Secret Stash

Skeleton Horde

Weapons:

Allying Dart +1

Dagger

Deathbane Light Crossbow +1

Glaive

Greatsword

Icy Longspear +1

Light Crossbow

Longbow

Scimitar

Shortbow

Superior Shortsword

Warhammer

Spells:

Acid Arrow x2

Aid

Augury

Cure x2

Detect Evil

Find Traps

Inflict

Lightning Touch

Mending

Sanctuary

Strength

Armour:

Battered Wooden Shield

Half-plate

Leather Armour

Magic Chain Mail

Magic Half-plate

Magic Leather Armour

Magic Shield

Superior Chain Mail

Superior Half-plate

Superior Wooden Shield

Items:

Amulet of Mighty Fists

Crown of Charisma

Eyes of the Eagle

Masterwork Tools

Mattock

Potion of Fortitude

Potion of Glibness

Potion of Healing

Potion of Hiding

Potion of Vision

Sage's Journal

Spyglass

Allies:

Acolyte

Burglar

Crow

Dog x2

Saber-toothed Tiger

Snake x2

Soldier

Troubadour

Blessings:

Blessing of Calistria

Blessing of Desna

Blessing of Erastil

Blessing of Gorum

Blessing of Iomedae

Blessing of Irori

Blessing of Pharasma

Blessing of Sarenrae

Blessing of Shelyn

Blessing of the Gods x4

Blessing of Torag

==

Whether that's worth it is up to you. :)

• Like 2

You get more good basic cards, more cures and so on that can be important if you use big 5 to 6 player party. If you newer play with bigger than 4 character party, you don't need C pack, but if you go for 5 to 6. Then it is beneficial. If you don't you will have some really pool weapons and stuff to your Group. Rusted chainmail, no good shields etc.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV
  • Like 1

Yes and No.

I like the extra Cures, Augery, and Spyglass (and a bunch of other stuff like Greatsword...) BUT, after calculating the rate at which I can farm gold, I find it cheaper to just buy the full pack for $25.

• Like 1

To me this is an open and shut case: no, the c-deck is absolutely not worth buying if you've already bought 3 of the characters separately. That 8k gold would be vastly better off spent buying the other characters and then saving up for the future adventure decks. Personally, I wouldn't blow all my money on chests; I'd rather be able to buy the next adventure decks the moment they come out. But if you've already unlocked the other characters and have tons of gold left over (or hey, if you just feel like buyin' you some chests -- I won't tell you how to play your game!), then buying chests is without question better than buying the c-deck.

The other replies so far have been reserved, but personally, I don't see a shred of ambiguity here at all!

The c-deck adds a lot of boons to the box, but the only significant ones are these: (by "significant," I mean "very strong and likely to stay in some decks beyond AD3:")

Deathbane Light Crossbow +1

Greatsword

Icy Longspear +1

Crown of Charisma

Masterwork Tools

Spyglass

Saber-toothed Tiger

Augury

These are some great boons, but are they really worth 8k gold? On top of that, by buying the c-deck, you also add a bunch of really annoying monsters to the box. Here's the list from Feywood's post, with the mega-bitchy monsters highlighted yellow:

Bugbear

Cultist x2

Enchanter

Ogre

Plague Zombie x2

Satyr

Shadow

Siren

Sneak

Spectre

Traitor

Werewolf

Zombie Giant

Every time you get wrecked by a $#%!-ing Satyr and its $#%!-ing "damage can't be reduced" Acrobatics check, it's like, "I paid 8k gold for this!"

Chests have a much higher concentration of quality boons. They also include boons from all decks, from 1-6, so they don't go obsolete the way the c-deck boons do. The salvage feature currently doesn't work, but once its fixed, you'll be able to salvage the chest cards that don't interest you to get some gold back and to shape your vault the way you want it to. And chests don't add bitchy monsters to your game. :) Like I said, I personally wouldn't blow all my gold on chests, but if I had to choose between spending 8k on chests or 8k on the c-deck vault cards, I'd get the chests -- easiest decision in the world.

• Like 1

And for me, I say you get all the Decks, no question.

I like the officialness of the C-deck much better than the treasure chests. 

I bought 5 chests. I've only opened 1. I don't use them in my games, because they seem OP to me.

So I say for sure get the C Deck. Besides, where else can you get the Allying Darts +1?

• Like 2

I bought 5 chests. I've only opened 1. I don't use them in my games, because they seem OP to me.

So I say for sure get the C Deck. Besides, where else can you get the Allying Darts +1?

The Rogue Ape ally from the treasure chests was looking so perfect for Lini, but unfortunately it doesn't count as an animal, so it doesn't work with her special abilities. >_<

The Rogue Ape ally from the treasure chests was looking so perfect for Lini, but unfortunately it doesn't count as an animal, so it doesn't work with her special abilities. >_<

Exactly true.  However, it'll sure add some punch to Merisiel's Back Stabs...

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

Exactly true.  However, it'll sure add some punch to Merisiel's Back Stabs...

Yeah, that's where it ended up (Lini got Merisiel's tiger in exchange, so she has two now).

Damn uppity apes, thinking they're people. Waiting for the "Rise of the Realm of the Apes" bonus adventure, now. :p

Yeah, that's where it ended up (Lini got Merisiel's tiger in exchange, so she has two now).

Damn uppity apes, thinking they're people. Waiting for the "Rise of the Realm of the Apes" bonus adventure, now. :p

The ape's got class levels...  Watch your back, is all I'm sayin'.

For Lini I love the weasel. I HATED the weasel until I met Lini.

Why? I still don't understand the benefit of The Weasel for Lini.

There are limited (1) Saber-Toothed Tigers, so, the Weasel is the next best choice.

Lini enters combat

Lini Reveals Weasel adding 1d4 (Avg. 2.5)

Lini Discards Weasel (via Weasel Power activation) adding 1d6 (Avg. 3.5)

This nets you an average of +6 to Melee combat, AND because you activated the Weasel's power to discard it, you then recharge it back to your deck (Lini's Power). Meaning it is a big boost with no loss of life. This is just with base powers, level up Animal Trick and you get another +2!

Add a weapon and/or Beast Form to that and she can CRUSH!

• Like 1

As long as the Reveal and the Discard aren't for powers on the card, it's fine.  If a card has two powers that say "Reveal for X, Discard for Y" you can't use both powers because (unless something says otherwise) you can't use to boons of the same type on the same check.

But in this case, the Reveal is to "fuel" a power of Lini's, so you're not "playing" an ally on the check.  Since "Reveal" means the card is still considered to be "in your hand", you can do with it anything that you can do with a card in your hand, including playing it for its power.

Same with armors.  If you have the Elven Breastplate and take three combat damage, you can reveal the Breastplate to reduce the damage from three to one, and then discard the Breastplate as a damage card.

• Like 2

You're allowed to reveal and discard the same card?

Is that a bug?

Is that how it works in the physical game?

Yes, No, and Yes.

Like with some weapons, you can reveal then discard the same card for more damage.

• Like 1

To keep your Story mode play through more pure, you can disable chest cards appearing in story mode. You'll be wanting chest cards for Quest Mode most likely. :)

• Like 1

I had the Saber-toothed Tiger for Lini. I really like that card. She lost it when she had to banish an ally. :( (Or maybe I had to banish a card and it was the last one left.. i forget.. it was sad in either case)

Edited by hfm
  • Like 1

I was excited about Deck C, but after checking the list of cards in the Pathfinder site, I was disappointed by how few ''new'' cards are included. 85-90% are copies of old cards, so I am preparing myself for an endless number of Daggers and Shortswords to find their way to my back. I am at 6.5k and in gold saving mode for now until I get enough to buy the character pack, but right now, I doubt deck C is worth the 8k cost for you. My suggestion is to wait for the next campaign. Playing it will give back most of the gold you spent and will level up your heroes. Then go and get Deck C, if you still think you need it.

I have learned the hard way that Henchmen are cowards who prefer to hide at the very bottom of the location decks, so I doubt I will play with more than 4 heroes because the game is too RNG-heavy as it is. Adding 2 more locations would probably give me a stroke.

Edited by Narkon27

I was excited about Deck C, but after checking the list of cards in the Pathfinder site, I was disappointed by how few ''new'' cards are included. 85-90% are copies of old cards, so I am preparing myself for an endless number of Daggers and Shortswords to find their way to my back. I am at 6.5k and in gold saving mode for now until I get enough to buy the character pack, but right now, I doubt deck C is worth the 8k cost for you. My suggestion is to wait for the next campaign. Playing it will give back most of the gold you spent and will level up your heroes. Then go and get Deck C, if you still think you need it.

I have learned the hard way that Henchmen are cowards who prefer to hide at the very bottom of the location decks, so I doubt I will play with more than 4 heroes because the game is too RNG-heavy as it is. Adding 2 more locations would probably give me a stroke.

The reason those dupes exist is that you NEED the character add-on in the tabletop game to go up to 6 characters (It's unclear to me based on the description if this is true for the digital version), and this required adding more BASIC cards. I still think it's worth buying just for the few cards that are worthwhile if you ask me. If all you're doing to acquire it is farming gold it's costing nothing but your time.

The one thing I will add is that in the tabletop game it's good practice to build a couple characters and leave them in the box to stave off the dilution of the box with BASIC boons if you're only playing with up to 4. Having those extra BASIC boons hanging in the box will mathematically hurt your chances of encountering better boons.

Edited by hfm