Pictures of your Games Episode VIII The Fast - The Picturesque

thanks!

edit: just so this post isn't only about giving thanks, I'll go back to the Tomb Raider reboot one last time.

I took a long look at old TR games (watched 2 retrospectives to refresh my memories of the first two games and see how the other games evolved) and I could see why a lot of people think the new games aren't "proper" TR games. but I think most of the changes to the TR formula have been beneficial. it's still the same kind of game (you shoot your enemies, you climb walls, you navigate complex levels and look for secrets), and I don't think that there's that much more shooting now, to be honest. most firefights are short and intense (I only remember 4 instances where the game forced me to kill a room full of people with no option to evade them or strangle them one by one - they were annoying, though).

I only played Uncharted 2, for comparison's sake, and it was a miserable experience. Naughty Dog really don't know **** about making games. they're more in the business of making cinematic experiences, which I couldn't care less about. but a lot of games could benefit from lifting a bit of it. that's what TR 2013 did. and the game is better for it. here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrnMJQs8bFA

I'm not doing anything to get Lara out of that situation, it's a scripted event, I'm just holding the "forward" button. from the gameplay perspective it's not different from just sprinting down a path. but it's short enough to not become annoying, and it looks cool. I'd much rather have a game that's full of these little moments, than one where you simply have to run around from point A to point B.

buuuut, there's another side to that, one that I hate with a passion. and here's an example: a 2-minute long QTE - god have mercy on our souls, with game designers who think this is good design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms3Qi61Nn4M

ok, that's a lot of words just for saying this TR is just as good as the old stuff. I wish they got rid of crafting, leveling, QTEs, and small filler areas in future games, but even if they don't I'll still play them. 

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Naughty Dog

No, yeah, good people, great gameplay and stories.

Read that three times, mate. Still don't understand it, but now I have this urge to play Tomb Raider for the first time. Any Tomb Raider. Each would be first time.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

thanks!

<snipped for brevity>

ok, that's a lot of words just for saying this TR is just as good as the old stuff. I wish they got rid of crafting, leveling, QTEs, and small filler areas in future games, but even if they don't I'll still play them. 

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a lot better in that respect: way less QTEs, no more idiotic "deathrides", better puzzles and much less teenage angst (or just pure idiocy). It is, as we like to say, a straight upgrade ;-)

The one thing I miss from the first Tomb Raider (the one from '96) are the level spanning puzzles (dunno if any of the later ones had those) like Palace Midas.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 2

Angel of Darkness was the only sort of inscrutable and unplayable TR game, for me. The one version of Lara I never saw to the end.

Wasn't it the one that came with a map editor? (read it in some very old pc magazine. That's pretty much the only reason I remember the name)

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Katphood, what game is that?

That's Destiny on the PS4.

Yeah, looks like Destiny even though those places don't familiar to me

The first one is Mars. The second and the third one are from a story mission in Phobos. The last one is The Reef. The one with the changing magazine...can't remember.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

never really spent much time on Jade Empire, but I am finding it pretty fun to play, I must say

g_vcQR562lU.jpg

and it looks quite nice, at least the character models do

Kits50NoJiw.jpg

didn't expect ancient China to have jet planes, though:

zM6aQwuE_mY.jpg

• Like 4
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

some more

YxU_NpH_1Vw.jpg

IHnexc72TEQ.jpg

I have to say, it has nice environments for its time

5owxTEXOmmE.jpg

d9icUesX6FE.jpg

TeCW7jERyOE.jpg

ZEpauhnBlkE.jpg

• Like 2
Walsingham said: