VR Gaming (Rift, Vive, etc)

Zenbane

Howdy! Has anyone been able to partake in the new revolution of gaming in VR? I've had some amazing and unparalleled experiences with games like Technolust and Dreadhalls. The RPG, Chronos, isn't as epic in its journey as games like Pillars of Eternity, but it's a mighty fine preview of things to come with RPG gaming in VR.

I played a bunch of games made for Oculus Rift SDK 2, it was last year, most of those were prototypes or demos. all I can tell you is that I get severe motion sickness in games that require me to move my character around. racing or flying games I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes, I would get dizzy, get headaches almost immediately after.

I wasn't the only one with these symptoms, roughly half of the people in the office would have it the same way I did or worse, another 25 percent would take it a bit better, and only a quarter of the people trying those game would feel fine.

leads me to believe Oculus Rift and similar projects have no real future in traditional games. game designers will need to come up with new ideas specifically for this platform (like Nintendo did with Wii). otherwise it will remain a very niche product with a small share of the market. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's supposed to be a lot better now than the early oculus SDK, but yeah one should definitely try one out before thinking about getting one. As for the mainstream breakthrough. I dunno, still waiting for the AAA VR titles. We kinda needed someone to come up with a handful of killer apps that would drive adaption. So far it hasn't happened. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

• 2 years later...