How do Characters & Parties work?

Feel free to point me to an appropriate resource, but I'm not finding information on how characters and parties "work"...

Characters gain cards and abilities as they progress through the story mode.

Characters in quest mode gain experience and abilities, etc..  in quest mode (haven't played this much yet...)

How does adjusting decks, etc...  between story modes work?   If I have one story mode group going in an adventure but then use the function to look for "experienced" characters when starting a new story, none show up..

1) Can I use characters from one story campaign in another?  (if so, when is it allowed?)   I think I see how you can add inexperienced ones to a current campaign.

2) Can you bring quest characters into the campaign & vice versa?

3) If I can use the same character class (I see you can name the characters) in multiple different story mode save games, can I also use them in quest mode?

--------

I guess I'm really trying to figure out just when I can add or subtract characters (experienced or not) to or from story mode (in different save slots) and might as well find out how the quest mode characters interact as well..j

Thanks for any help..  this stuff isn't in the "rules" so not sure about what to find answers..

Quest and story are completely separate. You can't bring characters from one to the other.

In story, you can't have a character in more than one party at a time. If you want to use your experienced character in a new party, you must first delete his current party. He won't get the rewards he already collected, but he keeps his powers, skills and deck.

OK, Quest mode is separate...

Story Mode:

Can I have several versions of the same class running around?   Like two different experience-leveled thieves in two different save games?  

"Delete current party" --> if I have a party that made it through the first few adventures, and then delete that party, is my "progress" through story mode now gone?  (Can I reform that party or a slightly different one to continue on the adventures, roughly where I left off?)

As for "rewards" collected.   Is that a specific item or something due to quests?   Power, Skills, and Deck seem to be pretty much the sum of my characters at the moment...   If so, then if you wanted to pick up later in the adventures (if you can), then you wouldn't have access to whatever these "rewards" are?

Thanks for clarification...

In different croups you can have different incarnations of each characters. There is option in the experienced characters to give those incarnations nick names, so you can separate them more easily.

In quest mode there is only one save slot so every character that you use goes to experienced pool.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

Feel free to point me to an appropriate resource, but I'm not finding information on how characters and parties "work"...

Characters gain cards and abilities as they progress through the story mode.

Characters in quest mode gain experience and abilities, etc..  in quest mode (haven't played this much yet...)

How does adjusting decks, etc...  between story modes work?   If I have one story mode group going in an adventure but then use the function to look for "experienced" characters when starting a new story, none show up..

1) Can I use characters from one story campaign in another?  (if so, when is it allowed?)   I think I see how you can add inexperienced ones to a current campaign.

2) Can you bring quest characters into the campaign & vice versa?

3) If I can use the same character class (I see you can name the characters) in multiple different story mode save games, can I also use them in quest mode?

--------

I guess I'm really trying to figure out just when I can add or subtract characters (experienced or not) to or from story mode (in different save slots) and might as well find out how the quest mode characters interact as well..j

Thanks for any help..  this stuff isn't in the "rules" so not sure about what to find answers..

Great questions, hope I can clear it up a bit.

1. When you create a party those characters are locked into that party. There are a few ways to free them up to be used in other parties. If you delete the party those characters go into your experienced character pool. Also if you load that party up you can go to the character selection screen in between scenarios by tapping on the character sheet icon, on the lower right part of the screen, on the scenario selection screen (The world map). Once there you can remove characters from your party into the experienced pool.

2. As helpful other pathfinders mentioned, Quest Mode and Story mode are two different parties. Quest mode characters have a completely different way of leveling.

3. Party maintenance in Quest mode works just like Story mode, if that was your question. As Hannibal pointed out you only have one party at a time in Quest mode, but you can still swap around character in between scenarios using the steps outlined in step 1.

There are a couple limitations to keep in mind. You cannot have more than 20 experienced characters. You cannot have two of the same character in a party. So you cant have a fresh Merisiel and an experienced Merisiel in the same party.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In story, you can't have a character in more than one party at a time. If you want to use your experienced character in a new party, you must first delete his current party. He won't get the rewards he already collected, but he keeps his powers, skills and deck.

I'm not sure what is meant by "he won't get the rewards he has already collected."  There are no rewards other than powers, skills, and cards, so if you keep all those things, then you are keeping all rewards.

A party is just a collection of experienced characters.  If you delete the party, it doesn't delete any of the characters' progress or rewards.  They just return to the pool of characters, ready for you to use them to form new parties.

What I've found confusing is the lock icons on the party selection screen.  I thought they were supposed to appear to indicate that you can't use those characters in new parties because they exist in a current party.  However, dragging their character portrait to the bottom of the screen into the party formation area, does weird things.  It should create a copy of the character and rename it.  Sometimes I see this happening, like "Merisiel 1" for example.  Other times, it doesn't seem to work.  It's hard to tell who ends up where and what party is currently being altered.  

I think the parties should have names which should be clearly displayed on the screen so it's more clear what is happening.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what is meant by "he won't get the rewards he has already collected."  There are no rewards other than powers, skills, and cards, so if you keep all those things, then you are keeping all rewards.

I think he's talking about scenario rewards, like golden loot cards and so forth, where an experienced character placed in a new party can't be awarded that loot a second time.

• Like 2