Favorite Thematic Groupings

This is somewhat of a silly post but I'm enjoying this game and thought I'd find out if anyone else has favorite groupings of characters based on themes.

It's embarrassing to say but I've had the game since release and have not beat the main storyline (available thus far) because I keep starting new groups. I like experiencing the different dynamics that go along with party size and makeup. So far, these are some of my favorites.

Classic D&D - fighter, rogue, mage, cleric. I like the classic D&D party feel though I miss having a dedicated

Wild Bunch - "outdoor" types. Barbarian, Druid, Harsk. It's fun to see the synergy of the conversations as these characters all dislike the cities and prefer the outdoors. Greatly thematic, kudos to Oblivion.

Favorite solo experience - Monk. It's Caine from Kung Fu (dating myself, I know), at least that's the theme that's in my head when I play it :)

Don Quixote - Seelah and Lem. Great Don Quixote and Sancho Panza theme. A lot of the dialogue even follows the theme with Seelah saying something profound and Lem following up with something funny. I know it's not a perfect match story wise but it's fun to play along with the idea of a lighthearted person just tagging along on a quest of righteousness. I never separate them, at 2 players you don't really have to. They just march along together, faithful and funny squire to his knight. This is my new favorite and might just be the first I take to the end of adventure 2.

anyone else got favorite groups?

• Like 3

I like Lini, because she is somewhat complex character and I have to use some thinking power to do what I want to do.

And who doesn't like his kunfu fello ;-)

Otherwice I don't to seem to have any prefered croup, but there seems to be a trend of balanced croup though...

The Short Brigade!

I tried Harsk, Lem and Lini. My game broke, so I may try them again, but it's a pretty decent challenge.

Is it that hard? Harsk can generally hold his own and Lini combined with Lem would just be a beast with the extra d4s to every single check. Lem's soft but Harsk might be able to help his combat out with his d4 ability. I'd say once you load up Lem with a solid weapon, you've got a good crew

Lini on her own is awesome. If you've played through the scenarios, you'll notice how each villain (or at least villainous type) tends to give a speech during the cutscenes. While every other character I've seen leading the conversation lets them say their piece, Lini almost always interrupts them.

When she finds Jubrayl Vhiski, he tells her he'll offer her one piece of advice for free. Normally he'd keep talking, but Lini tells him nope, screams her battlecry and the fight starts.

Black Fang tells the heroes he'll let them go if they deliver a message, that he'll start tearing the heads off the peasants' children instead of their livestock if they don't leave him alone. When Lini is the one leading the conversation, Black Fang tells the heroes to deliver a message, but before he gets to actually say it Lini just screams her battlecry at him and jumps on him, starting the fight straight away.

Likewise, when Ameiko's father turns up in the tavern, normally he gives a speech about the heroes being incompetent and putting the town in danger. In Lini's case, he only gets halfway through his sentence before she interrupts him and tells him that next time she'll just let the goblins eat him.

As for The Skinsaw Murders (spoiler tags for those who haven't played it yet):

When the heroes first meet the hero-worshipping Aldern Foxglove in Burnt Offerings, they all find a reason not to spend time with him. In Lini's case, she tells him that it is because he "smells of dead things", in a bit of Malkavian-like foreshadowing.

When she's in the tavern at the start of Local Heroes, Aldern turns up and Ameiko mentions the heroes might want to go elsewhere for the day. Lini agrees, mentioning that there are "too many dead things in here today", which doesn't make sense until Foul Misgivings in The Skinsaw Murders.

Edited by Feywood
  • Like 2

It is really interesting. A little difficult until I get some L1 and 2 cards under my belt, but my win/lose ratio is still good. The biggest issue is that the timer runs close.

I have 0 almost complete, just need to beat 0-3 on legendary and I am golden.

I used to hate that f*ckin weasel ally until I met Lini. She Pwns with it.

• Like 1

It is really interesting. A little difficult until I get some L1 and 2 cards under my belt, but my win/lose ratio is still good. The biggest issue is that the timer runs close.

I have 0 almost complete, just need to beat 0-3 on legendary and I am golden.

I used to hate that f*ckin weasel ally until I met Lini. She Pwns with it.

We got some cool chest cards that Drunken Master Sajan loves!

• Like 2

Team helpful: Valeros, Harsk, and Lem. D4s for everyone! And if Lem goes to the same places as Valeros, Valeros covers for Lem's lack of combat potency, Lem makes Valeros good at everything, and Harsk provides ranged support. Fun and effective.

I have been having a lot of fun with the All-Divine party (druid, cleric, paladin and monk). Sanja has a pair of Wands of Minor Healing, so everybody heals all the time. Massive number of boons and allies to clear out six locations in record time. Finish the first three APs on Normal and Heroic, and starting on Legendary.

• Like 1

I've gotten some Potions from chests that Drunken Master Sajan would like.  Since this forum is spoiler free though, I'm not sure I'm allowed to say what they are.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

(Thanks to Longshot11)

I have been having a lot of fun with the All-Divine party (druid, cleric, paladin and monk). Sanja has a pair of Wands of Minor Healing, so everybody heals all the time. Massive number of boons and allies to clear out six locations in record time. Finish the first three APs on Normal and Heroic, and starting on Legendary.

Swap Sajan for Lem and I have a party like that.  Everyone has at least one Cure spell.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

My favorite thematic group so far, is the All Caster group. Ezren, Seoni, Lini, Kyra, Lem and Seelah.

This is probably the party I've had the least trouble with, in general. There's the occasional location needing a bit more blessings to close, but I find that the versatility I get with the ammount of spells available, is amazing. Having 4 characters with cures available also gives me to option to play a bit more agressively than I tend to do otherwise.

The fact that I dont have to worry about weapons or armors hardly at all, enables me to pool my resources even more towards spesific cards I want.

It will be interesting as more adventure packs gets released though, to see how easy it will be to keep all of them stocked with usefull spells. I have a slight worry that their decks might end up too diluted by mediocre spells over time.