I'm trying to figure out the cleanest way to get access to all three faction shops while still getting the armor. By cleanest I mean least net reputation loss for the various factions and Defiance Bay.

I know there is a lying option which I don't have enough deception to pass.

I've heard that if you can start combat with the NPC carrying the armor without triggering dialog that Osric will just let you keep the armor? Is that true? Do you still get access to the store? How big is the faction penalty with the Knights?

Are there other possible solutions?

Yes, just attack him. After, when you talk to Osric,- choose the second dialog option. 

You still get access to the shop. I always do this. Decent armor for when you get it.

• Like 1

"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour."

Weapon master,- Flail of the dead horse +5.

Yes, just attack him. After, when you talk to Osric,- choose the second dialog option.

You still get access to the shop. I always do this. Decent armor for when you get it.

Just to confirm that won't get me kicked out of the Knights or close their quest line?

Just to confirm that won't get me kicked out of the Knights or close their quest line?

Nope

"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour."

Weapon master,- Flail of the dead horse +5.

My method: steal Penhelm's affidavit, go to Dunryd Row and talk to what's his name, step outside and don't move. As long as you don't move, Penhelm and his buddies won't initiate dialogue. You then use a ranged attack to start combat and kill them all. After this go see Osric and say you killed them. He gets mad and you lose a little rep with the Dozens but otherwise everything resolves as usual (I think you can even do their second quest if you want). In particular you still get access to their shop.

Strangely, if you kill Penhelm after he talks to you Osric is totally chill with it. The dialogue option you have with him is basically the same (something like "unfortunately some people had to die") but he somehow divines that you talked first and so doesn't get mad. This also means he takes back his breastplate.

This quest, and the one involving the White March dagger, are always difficult ones for me, because I want the items but I usually play characters who wouldn't do the things involved in getting the items. With Osric's Breastplate I've recently taken to not keeping it because it gets superseded by better armours later, but the White March dagger is one of the best items for certain builds.

• Like 1

You can get the armor without a fight, just talk. Forgot the exact dialogue options, but you first give him the affadivit.

And Osric doesn't really care that you kill him anyway. You always get access to the shop, and I have a really hard time remembering there's any reputation loss involved whatsoever.

To be honest, this topic confuses me.

Edited by Psychevore

My method: steal Penhelm's affidavit, go to Dunryd Row and talk to what's his name, step outside and don't move. As long as you don't move, Penhelm and his buddies won't initiate dialogue. You then use a ranged attack to start combat and kill them all. After this go see Osric and say you killed them. He gets mad and you lose a little rep with the Dozens but otherwise everything resolves as usual (I think you can even do their second quest if you want). In particular you still get access to their shop.

Strangely, if you kill Penhelm after he talks to you Osric is totally chill with it. The dialogue option you have with him is basically the same (something like "unfortunately some people had to die") but he somehow divines that you talked first and so doesn't get mad. This also means he takes back his breastplate.

This quest, and the one involving the White March dagger, are always difficult ones for me, because I want the items but I usually play characters who wouldn't do the things involved in getting the items. With Osric's Breastplate I've recently taken to not keeping it because it gets superseded by better armours later, but the White March dagger is one of the best items for certain builds.

Personally I love the logic in that quest. Threaten or lie to the kid and you get -rep and aggressive/deceptive. Give him the knife so the he mains himself? Fine. Give him the knife, then murder him to get it back? Also fine.

Edited by dainbramage

Personally I love the logic in that quest. Threaten or lie to the kid and you get -rep and aggressive/deceptive. Give him the knife so the he mains himself? Fine. Give him the knife, then murder him to get it back? Also fine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the existing options, but I don't get why my character can't say "sorry kid, I don't think you should have a White March dagger, you're too young" and not pick up an aggressive or deceptive rep as a result.

Also if you have high survival skill you can teach him how to handle the dagger and he doesn't maim himself.

You can get the armor without a fight, just talk. Forgot the exact dialogue options, but you first give him the affadivit.

I believe you need a particular attribute score or reputation for that to work. I save scummed ad nauseum to try every dialogue option and couldn't get it non-violently.

It might be the case that you can get it from him before stealing the affidavit, I always forget to talk to him before picking it up.

And Osric doesn't really care that you kill him anyway. You always get access to the shop, and I have a really hard time remembering there's any reputation loss involved whatsoever.

If you kill Penhelm without talking to him first Osric reacts badly and you lose a little bit of rep with the dozens. If you talk to Penhelm first you can't keep the breastplate. This I am sure of unless it was changed in a recent patch.

I ended up sneak attacking Penhelm and Osric gave me the armor as recommended earlier in the thread. I received a minor reputation hit with the dozens but still got access to the store. Surprisingly their was no defiance bay reputation hit.

Two observations:

1). It appears you get a "quest item" from Penhelm not the actual armor. Previously I thought you could just keep it and not complete the quest, but that wouldn't work.

2). I love the writing for this quest. Osric calls you a psychopath for killing a guy over a fetch quest. It's pretty refreshing to have a quest giver say that what they asked you to get might not be the most important thing in the world.

I believe you need a particular attribute score or reputation for that to work. I save scummed ad nauseum to try every dialogue option and couldn't get it non-violently.

It might be the case that you can get it from him before stealing the affidavit, I always forget to talk to him before picking it up.

I don't think so, you just need to pick a specific one that, to me at least, didn't make much sense:

Once you leave the manor, Penhelm and some Crucible Knights will confront you and demand the affidavit back

• You may give back the affidavit at this point, which will give you reputation with the Knights of the Crucible.
  • (Optional)Tell Penhelm to return the favor and give back Osric's armor. He asks why he should, which gives you 4 options. Choice 1 and 4 result in Penhelm giving you 200cp. Choice 3 gives you nothing, and choice 2 causes him to give you the armor. Picking dialogue option 2 at this juncture is the only way to complete this quest with both sides happy.
EDIT: I always talk to penhelm first, so that's why I never noticed any reputation loss. Edited by Psychevore