Hi

I am new to the game and I've started playing the new ios version and it's good fun, but I am still stuck on Brigandoom. I'm beginning to think I must be doing something wrong. I tend to run out of turns before I have managed to close down the locations and corner the villain, I have tried keeping the party together and splitting it up in various ways, but I can never seem to get near winning.

I appreciate that it's difficult, not having seen my attempts at play, but if there is any advice anyone can offer, that would be great.

Thanks a lot

RC

The game is quite hard for a beginner if you have a full group (since you have limited time). Try to do a scenario with a party of 1 character initially, that is considerably easier as the turn-pressure is reduced a lot.

However, I also suggest you watch a sample play by Papa Boris in Brigandoom on Youtube which helped me a lot in understanding big-party dynamic in the game.

• Like 1

Hi trashcondor

Thanks for coming back, that's a useful tip, I will give that a go. I'm fairly confident that I've got the hang of the cards and everything else, I was just struggling to affect the outcome in time.

One other very newbie question - how do I actually alter the make-up of my party, I've been struggling to find a way to do that. I seem to be stuck with a party of six and I can't find a way to alter or reduce it.

Thanks very much

RC

With bigger parties you need to very aggressively explore using abilities. It's quite challenging. Luck, and being thrifty with your location choices, go a long way there; as Papa Boris nicely demonstrates in his videos.

Edit: Oh!! And temporarily closing locations is a big thing in big parties.

Edited by trashcondor

I'm having a heck of a time with it myself.  I had made it to 2-2 when I was able to buy another character.  Due to a bug at the time (I think), I had to start a new party to get the new character in my group.  So, I had to start over.  Took me 5 tries to get through the first Brigandoom scenario.  So frustrating to have to start over.  I do seem to run out of time much faster with 4 characters.  The Rogue seems fairly weak.  I might try removing her before moving forward, but I consistently run out of time no matter the number of characters I have in the party.  This game seems just plain hard.

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

Rogue is creat when you get her weapon profiency and Sneak attack can kill enemies even without weapons!

She is Also essential in game when there Are a lot of traps and she is one of my best fighters Also!

She just has to be alone! Because her Sneak attack only works when there Are no other heroes to distract her!

Only put her together with another character, when you have to heal her. After that let her go and kill some enemies and unlock those pesky traps...

In my experience you have to be willing to give up those blessings to explore again. I run three to four characters in a party, and I always make sure to have Kyra in that party to heal back the blessings that get discarded for exploration. Another thing I do is make sure I'm placing characters in locations based how strong they are at closing said location. You don't want to put Valeros in a location where the closing condition is based on an Arcane roll. Nothing is worse than encountering a henchman on the first or second draw, and then failing to close the location, knowing you now have to explore the entire deck to shut it down.

• Like 1

Yep, put characters in appropriate locations for closing rolls, and more importantly, prioritize adding dice to vital rolls such as henchman/villain defeat rolls and closing rolls. Quite often I'll add a little overkill for rolls like that because even though rolling a 9 on 4 dice might seem likely, the penalty for failing that roll (having to clear the entire rest of the deck in some cases) just isn't worth the risk.

In addition, yes with more characters, exploring more is very important and covering all those locations is super important so you can temp close when you find the villain.

Wow. Merisiel is one of the BEST combat characters. You can throw a d6 on a combat when she's by herself basically FOR FREE since it's a recharge. She has a ton of items, which are usually extremely lucky timing that you have the right item in your hand at the right time to use it, so she can recharge them for combat die. 

Also, pay close attention to the closing requirements for locations.

Lini is also a great char because she can throw d4+n on practicaly ANYTHING so load her up with animal allies and she can give that extra push to temp close locations.

Also, go for allies that have "discard to explore again" since you can blow those on explores. 

ALWAYS use your cards that allow you to look at the top or top two cards on the location deck. Some let you encounter things getting a free explore. Some will let you put things that are NOT the villian/henchman on the bottom of the deck. Even better, it will allow you to get lucky and find the villain and LEAVE it on top so you can concentrate on setting up the perfect scenario to corner it. Immediately leave that location alone without encountering the villain if it's early in the game and concentrate on the rest of the locations. If you can set up a nice scenario where the correct people are in the correct place to maximize closing potential you can corner a villain easily and put your best one or two people on the location to fight the villain. I will sometimes even waste a turn and DISCARD an entire character's deck that's camping a location if they have a ton of blessings in their deck and none in their hand. Having everyone have a few blessings to burn for temp closing and the villain fight can be the difference between the villain getting away or being cornered.

FUN STUFF.

Edited by hfm