Ezren expanded spellbook doesn't activate in many circumstances

ArchSenex

Question

Had the following

Explored with Ezren, encountered a skeletal horde, he engaged his skeleton.

Played frost ray. Since cards don't play until you roll, I rolled. I got a terrible roll (all 1s, ouch) and took 4 damage. Because I'm taking damage, no activation of expanded spellbook. I discard improved arcane armor, which Is playing it, no activation. I then reveal mirror image, which is also playing, no activation.

Ducked all the damage, but all three spells should have given an activation (and the two defensive spells could be stacked).

Had to end the turn rather than getting two more cards to keep going.

Edited by ArchSenex

4 answers to this question

Had the following

Explored with Ezren, encountered a skeletal horde, he engaged his skeleton.

Played frost ray. Since cards don't play until you roll, I rolled. I got a terrible roll (all 1s, ouch) and took 4 damage. Because I'm taking damage, no activation of expanded spellbook. I discard improved arcane armor, which Is playing it, no activation. I then reveal mirror image, which is also playing, no activation.

Ducked all the damage, but all three spells should have given an activation (and the two defensive spells could be stacked).

Had to end the turn rather than getting two more cards to keep going.

I also often get that, and usually with off-turn Horde summons. The moment Ezren kills his summon, the game switches to the next character, and doesn't allow him to use his power. I understand the switch between character's is needed, but at the very least I'd expect that if I switch back to Ezren, his power button will be active, at least until he tries to cast another spell off-turn, or until his next turn begins.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Yeah, it looks like it's a bug:

(rulebook, p.9) "If a power says it may be used when something happens, you may use it every time that happens. Otherwise, a specific card’s power may only be used once per check or step. "

While the power should only be resolved at the end of the check, it should definitely have triggered 3 times.

That being said, even if the other member of the horde is active, you can tap back to Ezren's portrait and activate his power; I think if he's not the last guy, it'll even ask you if you want to activate his power after resolving his check.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

(Thanks to Longshot11)