Quest mode character experience

Do you still get that individual XP if the adventure runs out of time? Or in the case of a forfeit? Reason I'm asking is I thought at one point I had guys who were super close to leveling up and I failed a couple missions in a row and it didn't seem like the bars were moving so I thought the game might be negating that XP since I failed in some way.

I'll look into it, depending on the level and number and type of banes defeated it maybe it was barely moving. You have to defeat, not evade, the banes to gain XP for them.

Hi Kaieta, my apologies if I read your comments in the wrong way but I have to say this is not what I am seeing in the game right now. I started my quest party with four new chars, and ran through the whole 30 turns quite a few times without winning any of the scenarios. I am very positive that I have defeated quite a a number of banes along the way, but the exp for each of the chars was always 0/1000. It did not move until I beat a quest for the first time.

So no, the system now is not rewarding individual exp for beating banes if the party does not beat the scenario.

Do you still get that individual XP if the adventure runs out of time? Or in the case of a forfeit? Reason I'm asking is I thought at one point I had guys who were super close to leveling up and I failed a couple missions in a row and it didn't seem like the bars were moving so I thought the game might be negating that XP since I failed in some way.

I'll look into it, depending on the level and number and type of banes defeated it maybe it was barely moving. You have to defeat, not evade, the banes to gain XP for them.

Hi Kaieta, my apologies if I read your comments in the wrong way but I have to say this is not what I am seeing in the game right now. I started my quest party with four new chars, and ran through the whole 30 turns quite a few times without winning any of the scenarios. I am very positive that I have defeated quite a a number of banes along the way, but the exp for each of the chars was always 0/1000. It did not move until I beat a quest for the first time.

So no, the system now is not rewarding individual exp for beating banes if the party does not beat the scenario.

QA in investigating this currently

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them

Then there is my "basic" level group of 6 going up against "adventure path 1" villains and henchmen with basic level items to try and fight them with. I am currently 1 win from 10+ games today. Is this also INTENDED?

Yeah, that's been really frustrating for me.  I really enjoy the game play, and love that it is based on an existing game with a lot of existing expansion content to look forward to, but the game seems to be heavily stacked against the player.  The only way to improve a character in story mode is to replay the same scenario over and over and over and over until you are able to get AND keep better cards in the character's deck.  Even then you still have to depend on the luck of the dice.  You get no reward for trying and failing.  At least in Quest mode it sounds like you might get partial experience for failed missions - I haven't played it much because I don't want to start over with weak characters against even stronger banes than in story mode after having spent so much time repeating the same story scenarios over again.

The ironic thing is, even if I wanted to pay to win I couldn't - buying 50 chests of items only adds cards I can potentially run into in replaying a scenario for the Nth time.  Buying more adventures only adds content I can't get to or benefit from.  In most RPGs I've played (table top and digital) you can keep trying and you get stronger each time until you end up finally strong enough to win the boss fight.  It seems unnecessarily difficult in this game to do so, because 'getting stronger' means, for the most part, randomly running into new cards you randomly can get and randomly can keep.  I don't necessarily blame Obsidian for this - I never played the table top game but it seems designed into the system that way.  They seem to be doing their best to find and fix bugs.

For what it's worth, my win average is around 1/5 scenarios.  I think learning some of the subtleties of the game - like when to move a character or evade - has got me to this point.  I think random nature of grinding for better loot means I shouldn't expect it to get any better. 

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

If it makes you feel any better I think most experienced Pathfinder players have been there. There's something about this game that makes it feel really difficult at first but gets a lot better once you've played the game several times and have a better feel for how often to use blessings for extra dice, how often to use blessings and allies to explore, how best to use character powers, etc.

Your post very much reminded me of how I felt when I first tried the card game. I lost, a lot. But after losing a few times, something clicked and I was able to get to what I think is a more normalized win rate after that. I'm definitely not the best at this game either. I know a few tricks but I'm still learning something new, now and then. But once you kinda figure it out, it'll get better. Also, I'm not sure what it is but I find the 3 starter scenarios to be harder than some that come later or maybe it's just that getting that first skill point and power upgrade on each guy makes a big difference.

Anyway I just wanted to say I'm glad you like the game. Keep trying and I suspect you'll get there.

XP is awarded for defeating banes even if the party does not successfully complete the scenario.

An XP reward is given to completing the scenario successfully. Adjustments to bring larger party XP in line with smaller party XP are being made.

So you're just going to ignore the question about missing out on level rewards when dying?
This has been addressed in other threads as a bug and is being fixed.
Then why hasn't it been added to the known issues list?
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86273-updated-known-issues-and-some-possible-fixes/

- If a character dies in a scenario, they will not get rewards on a subsequent playthrough.

Potential Workaround: If a character dies, forfeit the scenario

Please check the official known issues thread regularly, it is updated as issues are confirmed.
Yea that's not even remotely the same issue as dying and not receiving a level up reward during the QUEST you just completed.

Please check you understand the actual question being asked.

That actually is the answer to that, 'Scenario' same as it is in Story Mode, we try to keep terminology consistent to reduce confusion. The level up reward issue is a bug that applies to all Scenarios, not just Quest mode. If you have confusion about terminology within the game, the rules section in the app is a great resource.

Yes, your boss actually explained it in a concise, articulate manner in the message he sent me apologizing for your attitude. Edited by FellintoOblivion

Man, I thought I sounded cranky  :getlost:

Brainwave, thanks for the encouragement.  It does seem like it's the better boons in Burnt Offerings that are making the difference.  I feel like I have got through a lot of the learning curve of the game, but the cards may make up for mistakes or something.  I think the reason I get frustrated with the game is that I like it so much but fail more often than I win scenarios.  Something to keep in mind for others in a similar situation is to focus on character deck additions rather than the character powers/skill points progression.  That seemed to click for me last night.  It makes replaying scenarios more fun - not worried about trying to win, just collect as many boons as possible to redistribute after the scenario is over.

• Like 1

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

Yes, your boss actually explained it in a concise, articulate manner in the message he sent me apologizing for your attitude.

That's great! When's your boss going to send LadyKaieta a private message apologizing for your immaturity, rudeness, and meanness?

• Like 5

Yes, your boss actually explained it in a concise, articulate manner in the message he sent me apologizing for your attitude.

That's great! When's your boss going to send LadyKaieta a private message apologizing for your immaturity, rudeness, and meanness?

Probably never as my job responsibilities don't include being the public face of a company.

Probably never as my job responsibilities don't include being the public face of a company.

Ahhh that's cool so as long a person is not being a public face of a company then that allows that person to be a douchebag!? Didn't know that!!  I will try that approach next time I meet some persons and see if that brings me any good ;)

I don't think LadyKaieta meant to have any kind of attitude (which at least as I read it, didn't happen), but at the most I would say possibly not fully understanding what you meant. So instead of being rude then we all in such cases should just try to explain with more details to make sure the issues we are facing is correctly understood by the devs.

So let's just all keep the dialogues civil and well mannered... there are way to many wars and conflicts out in the world so no need to start or fuel one here as well :)

Cheers!

/R