Quest mode character experience

What is intended in quest mode when it comes to characters gaining experience?

Gain experience as it is awarded during the quest scenario even if you run out of time?

Gain experience as it is awarded during the quest scenario ONLY if the villain is defeated?

Gain experience as it is awarded during the quest scenario ONLY if the villain is defeated and there is at least one character remaining alive?

If you defeat the villain but have characters die, is it intended that they gain experience and rewards for gaining levels, one or the other, or neither?

Also, is it intended that a new party of 6, with only starting equipment only have a slim chance of survival in quest mode?

No complaints, just asking for information.

You only gain experience if you win scenario and only those characters that Are alive gain experience.

For my experience: IMHO the best way to play quest is to play permadeath on. So if you start with 6 players, Little by Little your croup gets smaller as characters dye out. So it will be like a story where some characters survive and become creat heroes and some just dye.

Normally you could take new hero to the croup, but that seems to be bugged and the new 0-level hero is so much weaker than your 20-40 level other heroes that at this moment I would play only with one croup that leave any characters who dyes rest in peace.

I don,t have killed any characters so far in quest mode and Are now in level 13 in heroic mode. Maybe I should play in the legendary, so that there would be character deaths... Hmmm... Maybe next party.

Not quite the way it is now...I have one character who died during a successful scenario. He gained experience but was not granted the 3 rewards for that experience. In other words - he is now gimped.

I understand how it works currently - I play and I tend to notice function and operation as the game progresses. I was interested in INTENDED operation and function.

Then there is my "basic" level group of 6 going up against "adventure path 1" villains and henchmen with basic level items to try and fight them with. I am currently 1 win from 10+ games today. Is this also INTENDED?

Thanks.

Edited by Splat Cat AU

This game has a learning curve. Your winning persentage sound like normal to me. With 6 player mode you have to chose who do what very carefully and keep really good pace. 3-4 character is easier to learn the game.

I think that if your dead characters gained experience, it was a bug, but can not be sure.

But as I said permadeath is at this moment the best way to play quest mode, or you have to be sure that nobody dies, so you have to calculate you remaining cards vs your hand size very carefully.

In 4 player Group I take 2-3 cures to the Group when you build you starting deck. For 6 player I would definitely put all 4 cures to the croup!

I hear what you're saying.

A 3 character group worked much better as you don't have to aggressively search locations all the time. You can relax and search once per turn and pick your moment for aggressive exploration.

Its the numerous bugs that has got me thinking about the intended operation, as the game doesn't match the cardboard version exactly, and a bug can give the exact same impression.

I forfeit the quest if I lose even one character, that way I don't have to deal with any issues that come up from having an uneven party. Having said that, its not impossible to win with a starting party, I won my first quest after the new patch, although it did go down to the very last turn, ending in a 'destiny draw' as it were.

I hate the way leveling works in the game. It would make more sense to link the rewards to the total XP of a character than link it to a scenario. So if a character dies, he/she should not get the XP, but should get the reward when he/she finally reach the XP milestones.

I hate the way leveling works in the game. It would make more sense to link the rewards to the total XP of a character than link it to a scenario. So if a character dies, he/she should not get the XP, but should get the reward when he/she finally reach the XP milestones.

This is basically (with caveats) how it works in quest mode.

I like the way they have story mode that works very similar to the cardboard version of the game, and quest mode that gives rewards on character levels gained. Two games in one.

Edited by Splat Cat AU
  • Like 1

I personally would rather the xp was based more heavily on making individual checks vs completing a scenario (quest mode). Because right now if things go bad initially you're basically encouraged to forfeit out rather than waste a half an hour on a probable failed mission since the xp is all or nothing. If you were getting significant xp all along that won't be lost on a time out (with maybe a smaller bonus at the end for a win) then continuing to play in a bad situation would have more of a point.

I really like playing in 6 player mode, and like the suggestion of permadeath for quest mode to avoid gimping characters. Is there any way to erase an already gimped character so you can just keep going with a new one?

My suggestion on this: give XP for defeating banes/barriers and keep that even when not finishing the scenario - but if you finish the scenario increase the gained XP by a multiplier. The multiplier would depend on difficulty. For example x1.5 (normal), x1.75 (heroic), x2.0 (legenday).

That way existing XP gain can be reduced on banes/barriers which is kept even on defeat or forfeit. But on victory the XP is increased by 50/75/100%

Edit: that also means that banes/barriers can grant the *same* XP at normal and legendary levels - the only XP difference is granted on victory. That indirectly makes higher difficulty levels harder.

Edited by trashcondor

XP is awarded for defeating banes even if the party does not successfully complete the scenario.

An XP reward is given to completing the scenario successfully. Adjustments to bring larger party XP in line with smaller party XP are being made.

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them

Do you still get that individual XP if the adventure runs out of time? Or in the case of a forfeit? Reason I'm asking is I thought at one point I had guys who were super close to leveling up and I failed a couple missions in a row and it didn't seem like the bars were moving so I thought the game might be negating that XP since I failed in some way.

Do you still get that individual XP if the adventure runs out of time? Or in the case of a forfeit? Reason I'm asking is I thought at one point I had guys who were super close to leveling up and I failed a couple missions in a row and it didn't seem like the bars were moving so I thought the game might be negating that XP since I failed in some way.

I'll look into it, depending on the level and number and type of banes defeated it maybe it was barely moving. You have to defeat, not evade, the banes to gain XP for them.

XP is awarded for defeating banes even if the party does not successfully complete the scenario.

An XP reward is given to completing the scenario successfully. Adjustments to bring larger party XP in line with smaller party XP are being made.

So you're just going to ignore the question about missing out on level rewards when dying?

So you're just going to ignore the question about missing out on level rewards when dying?

This has been addressed in other threads as a bug and is being fixed.

Then why hasn't it been added to the known issues list?

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86273-updated-known-issues-and-some-possible-fixes/

- If a character dies in a scenario, they will not get rewards on a subsequent playthrough.

Potential Workaround: If a character dies, forfeit the scenario

Please check the official known issues thread regularly, it is updated as issues are confirmed.

• Like 2

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86273-updated-known-issues-and-some-possible-fixes/

- If a character dies in a scenario, they will not get rewards on a subsequent playthrough.

Potential Workaround: If a character dies, forfeit the scenario

Please check the official known issues thread regularly, it is updated as issues are confirmed.

Yea that's not even remotely the same issue as dying and not receiving a level up reward during the QUEST you just completed.

Please check you understand the actual question being asked.

Edited by FellintoOblivion

Potential Workaround: If a character dies, forfeit the scenario

Yea that's not even remotely the same issue as dying and not receiving a level up reward during the QUEST you just completed.

Please check you understand the actual question being asked.

That actually is the answer to that, 'Scenario' same as it is in Story Mode, we try to keep terminology consistent to reduce confusion. The level up reward issue is a bug that applies to all Scenarios, not just Quest mode. If you have confusion about terminology within the game, the rules section in the app is a great resource. 

• Like 3