Dying and leveling in Quest Mode

I just noticed that - when a character dies in quest mode - he doesn't get the benefits from leveling up as a result from it. This seems odd.

One could argue that - because they died - they don't get the experience. I'd be ok with that. You'd have another play and they level up later. One could also argue that the benefits from leveling won't be unlocked until the character finishes a quest without dying. Experience will stack up but the benefit will trigger later.

The way it works right now, though, is quite weird from a design/roleplay perspective, and I'm having difficulties placing this. If a character dies just as they are about to get a skill improvement, he will never ever get it. It doesn't make sense. Most of the times they will already have reached the level threshold before they died. In roleplaying games you sometimes immediately get the "level up".

Any chance that this is changing, because it must be frustrating to keep deleting characters or start over just because they died. I don't want to forteit quests as I've had a bad experience in v1.0 with cards seemingly disappearing.

I just noticed that - when a character dies in quest mode - he doesn't get the benefits from leveling up as a result from it. This seems odd.

One could argue that - because they died - they don't get the experience. I'd be ok with that. You'd have another play and they level up later. One could also argue that the benefits from leveling won't be unlocked until the character finishes a quest without dying. Experience will stack up but the benefit will trigger later.

The way it works right now, though, is quite weird from a design/roleplay perspective, and I'm having difficulties placing this. If a character dies just as they are about to get a skill improvement, he will never ever get it. It doesn't make sense. Most of the times they will already have reached the level threshold before they died. In roleplaying games you sometimes immediately get the "level up".

Any chance that this is changing, because it must be frustrating to keep deleting characters or start over just because they died. I don't want to forteit quests as I've had a bad experience in v1.0 with cards seemingly disappearing.

I just came here to make a post about this and yours is on the top of the front page, glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is rather silly.

How it should probably work is that if you die during a quest you don't get the experience and thus can't level up and miss the reward.

If they wanted to change it so that you "bank" the level up reward until you finish a quest without dying that would be fine.

Leveling up AND getting the reward if you die is probably the least attractive choice as it diminishes the consequences for dying.

Luckily I only missed out on getting a random ally when my character died, if it had been a feat or something I would have been rather peaved.

P.S. Why do I only get Blackfang and Nualia as bosses in quest mode?

Wow. This has to be a bug.

How many quest mode missions have you ran? I'm getting a good variety of random bosses. To be honest though I think the new penny shine will run out pretty quick on quest mode regardless. Randomized questing vs actual story progression, I think the story is where it's at.

Yup, this is probably bug. You get xp to character who dies yet you don't get reward. I personally keep going, being sucker for penalizing death I had no problem accepting my Sorceress lacking power feat - hell, you died, there should be penalty. Yet I hope this bug will be fixed since I doubt many agree with me here ;)

Wow. This has to be a bug.

How many quest mode missions have you ran? I'm getting a good variety of random bosses. To be honest though I think the new penny shine will run out pretty quick on quest mode regardless. Randomized questing vs actual story progression, I think the story is where it's at.

I've done 6 or 7 quests. Blackfang twice and the rest were Nualia (got her three times in a row).

I think quest mode is probably better for grinding gold then story mode is.

Yup, this is probably bug. You get xp to character who dies yet you don't get reward. I personally keep going, being sucker for penalizing death I had no problem accepting my Sorceress lacking power feat - hell, you died, there should be penalty. Yet I hope this bug will be fixed since I doubt many agree with me here ;)

If you were as hardcore as you claim you would turn perma-death on.

Missing level up rewards is almost as bad as perma-death anyway since if you miss a couple of feats your character is basically going to be unplayable on harder difficulty quests.

If you were as hardcore as you claim you would turn perma-death on.

Missing level up rewards is almost as bad as perma-death anyway since if you miss a couple of feats your character is basically going to be unplayable on harder difficulty quests.

I played with permadeath but left it for now since because of bug characters resurrect, it kinda ruins it :) For now rather lose rewards and roll again after noticing I can't do anything :D

• 2 weeks later...

Looking into my work queue, I see an open feature request to allow dead quest characters to retain the experience given to them while alive. Although I can't make any promises, I think that you'll see some changes in the future. In the mean time, maybe consider it an extra challenge to keep your entire party alive? Sadly, if you're playing an epic undead quest with someone like Lem, this might be problematic. Lem really hates fighting endless hordes of undead.

This thread needs to mosey on over to technical support, since it refers to an often discussed bug there.  If a character is dead in either Story or Quest mode, you MUST forfeit the scenario or the character will permanently miss out on any rewards for that story/scenario, and if this includes feats, they will never be able to acquire them.

Looking into my work queue, I see an open feature request to allow dead quest characters to retain the experience given to them while alive. Although I can't make any promises, I think that you'll see some changes in the future. In the mean time, maybe consider it an extra challenge to keep your entire party alive? Sadly, if you're playing an epic undead quest with someone like Lem, this might be problematic. Lem really hates fighting endless hordes of undead.

Sounds neat, basically defeated characters should get partial XP.  However, until the bug the OP was reporting, and others, are resolved, this will only make matters worse (since now you are missing feats AND have mixed-level parties, which makes you miss feats even if you live)